Are CR123 Primary Cells Dead?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously li-ions have fallen into favor as opposed to CR123 batteries. Even on the battery forum I hardly see any discussion about CR123s. My question is are these once hot commodities now dead?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Obviously li-ions have fallen into favor as opposed to CR123 batteries. Even on the battery forum I hardly see any discussion about CR123s. My question is are these once hot commodities now dead?
I use them during the coldest part of winter.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Nope.... they aren't dead yet. I've seen 123 based light reviews here in the forum last year (2016) and even a lantern that takes them. The abundance of 18650s at cheap prices and a lot of good chargers for them plus the onset of AA batteries in both LSD nimh and lithium primaries plus the great increase in LED efficiency and output has pretty much taken away most of the advantage 123 batteries used to have. Sure you can buy a 123 based light that is brighter than a AA light on average but we now even have 14500 based lights that are even more output than a 123 based light.
I think 123s will be around another 5-10 years but if energizer loses its patent stranglehold on lithium AAs it could spell the end of 123s as an option to compete with AA based lighting.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use them during the coldest part of winter.

I can agree with woods Walker. Having rechargeables does have a good benefit in terms of cost. I still carry primaries though for backup. I don't always carry a charger with me or have the chance to charge the batteries. Especially on days when for work I move quickly from one job to the next.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
In any EDC situation I use rechargeables. Primaries cost too much to run all of the time. Not to mention primaries just cannot supply the current rechargeables can if you want bright lights

swan

Banned
I think there will always a market for primaries as they offer convenience.

But for me i do not need them and havent purchased any for 5 years as i find rechargables better in every way.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Rechargeables have a large segment of the market and at at a site like this get most of the attention.

But primaries dead? They're not even sick.

Rechargeables have gotten a lot better, but they are still far from the most reliable fuel method.

ncgrass

Enlightened
I have been travelling for the past two years and don't want to carry a charger with me. I stick to CR123 primary batteries as well. Kept in a pelican 1010 with spare o-rings and a switch it's a compact package that'll keep me going with a reliable source for days if need be. I do a lot of camping as well and there's no way I can carry a solar set up due to winter skies and the weight.

I'd love to get into the rechargeable game but right now it's more of a hassle than I want.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been travelling for the past two years and don't want to carry a charger with me. I stick to CR123 primary batteries as well. Kept in a pelican 1010 with spare o-rings and a switch it's a compact package that'll keep me going with a reliable source for days if need be. I do a lot of camping as well and there's no way I can carry a solar set up due to winter skies and the weight.

I'd love to get into the rechargeable game but right now it's more of a hassle than I want.

Chargers are so incredibly compact and you can even run them off of MicroUSB. I have section hiked the Appalachian Trail numerous times and always brought 18650s. As soon as you switch to rechargeables you will likely never switch back.

ncgrass

Enlightened
I know... But what will I do with my supply of 123's? =O

I should switch and will but currently only my hds can take rechargeables, but my other lights cant. When I find a place to settle for a while I think I'll start to dabble. I guess I'm ok with CR123 for now, I don't feel the urge to change up what I have too much.

On a side note, can you point me in the direction of a good Appalachian trail hiking guide/packing list? It's a goal of mine to hike either that or pct and there's an overwhelming amount of stuff out there

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other side of the coin is that a lot of the Li-Ion alternatives to CR123 primaries are protected cells. As such, they have a tendency to just shut off when the cell discharges to that point. Whereas a CR123 will continue to output something until it dies the true death. In cases where one is depending on their light for what could be a life or death situation, I would lean toward using primaries, or more likely, have a light using primaries as my backup, with my main light using Li-Ion. That way I have the economy of using rechargeable cells most of the time, but if I do use a light to the point of shut-off, I will have a second light that I know will work, and not stop dead on me. I think that is why most of the boys currently playing in the sandbox are probably still using primary cells with their lights. I for one would not like to be kicking in doors and clearing a building and have my light suddenly stop on me. That would not be the best time to be changing out cells.

And don't start on the protected/unprotected on me. I think most people would agree that there are still a lot more protected cells out there than there are unprotected. Yes, as more and more users get familiar with rechargeables, and with the increase in low cost high quality smart chargers, the demand for CR123s will diminish. But I don't think it will ever go away. I mean, one can still rather easily find 'B' cells for sale, and the biggest use for them was in tube radios 75 years ago.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Would say definitely no. Yesterday I received two 1×CR123 lights. While I have RCR123 cells and 16650 and 18650 for 2xCR123 lights there is always a use for CR123. As backup cells and when it's cold. Buy them at bulk sale and you can get them several times lower price than ordinary store price.

defbear

Newly Enlightened
Two of my Malkoff MDC flashlights will only take CR123's. No RCR123's allowed. CR123's must be made available for that reason alone ;)

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know where i can buy approx 10x CR123A cells in the UK (or shipped to the uk if delivery price is low), A good brand that holds it`s charge as these are for emergency use only, I am looking to pay around an £1 a cell, But i have no idea of the prices.

I only use low to medium drain flashlights.

Thanks

John.

adnj

Enlightened
The discharge rate of rechargeable cells is higher than that of primaries. A backup light in an emergency kit should use primaries, too. Combat lights continue to use primaries, also.

You really want to carry primaries when you travel by air so that you can get through security.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flashlights kept in our vehicles are powered by CR123 batteries due to the temperature extremes we encounter.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use rechargeables and carry a Nitecore F1 charger. But I do carry 4 CR123A as well for a SNAFU case :)

And there is no issue to discuss about CR123A -- they just work :) Price? -- Most of us have their trusted supplier. Period. Personally for me this is eu.nkon.nl. What else? :)

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use rechargeables and carry a Nitecore F1 charger. But I do carry 4 CR123A as well for a SNAFU case :)

And there is no issue to discuss about CR123A -- they just work :) Price? -- Most of us have their trusted supplier. Period. Personally for me this is eu.nkon.nl. What else? :)

For me too! :)