Who care about SoS or strobe

MicaelSweden

Newly Enlightened
Is there any body that has stop what they are doing and lookt att a flashing light Like a strobing light and thougt HMMMM i
s there somebody that needs help or thougt dam kids playing whit there lights ?

Is there a time or place were We as people should react and turn around and investigate ?

Why is this person blinking strobing and strobing or sending sos when I already drove past before I geet it's a sos from some one

Sorry for bad spelling not my native lang.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I hear a car alarm sounding, I never think Hmmmmmm I should investigate and stop a car thief. Instead, I think "Hurry up and steal it, so I can have some quiet."

If I am a member of a Search And Rescue Team, and I saw sos or strobe, I would investigate. Until then, I hope people have fun playing with all of their flashlight modes. :)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I have lived in an urban/suburban area for most of the last forty years, I have yet to see anyone flashing SOS or a blinking strobe. If I was out in the country or in the mountains, or anywhere where the population density was less that five people per square mile, I would probably investigate such an occurrence
I know that I don't base my purchase decisions on whether or not a light has those features. I do like how Nitecore stores them off to the side, so they are not normally in the rotation, but are easily accessible if needed. I do recall a fellow member sharing that for whatever reason I don't remember, they placed a light in the window of their building in New York city flashing SOS for several hours, and no one came to check on what was going on. I would hazard a guess that most of the under-30s would not even recognize it if they say it.
And yes, Str8stroke, it is basically beating a dead horse.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing I hate more than a strobe light is a pocket clip. The odds of me ever needing and receiving help from an SOS signal, or using a strobe to fend off an attacker are, in my estimation, considerably worse than the odds of me and Mila Kunis getting married... to each other... and I'm ugly.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't fret, she's probably not into flashlights. Though she might be able to make your Fat Herbie look less anorexic.
P

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
I keep the lights on my weapons in strobe mode but other than that I only use a light in strobe mode to annoy my kids. :crackup:

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Like others have said, I too would only need it if I was out in the wild for distress. But for the most part I am in an urban setting and have no real need for strobe.

Lateck,

Connor

Enlightened
I think that a fast strobe is really effective as a warning light e.g. in a crash situation on a highway. Pointed at the retinas of the upcoming traffic, of course.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Poppy likes strobing little kids at the ice cream truck so he can cut in line. lol.

I like watching my family walk into door frames as they leave a room and I strobe 'em at just the right instant.

Treeguy

Enlightened
Strobe for the fail. :fail:

Nothing wrong with a hidden SOS, but lose the strobe. Don't want it, don't need it, get rid of it. It's the garlic flavoured ice cream of flashlight modes.

mraymer

Newly Enlightened
My odds of actually needing either function is very low but I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I say keep 'em... just in case.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
This topic: :dedhorse::dedhorse:

I like strobe on Halloween night.

The irregular strobe of my Fenix, along with a cranked stereo with haunted house music, is perfect for giving out candy.

I like that strobe should be illegal except when an emergency, like kid lost in crowd or forest. And legal on Halloween.

As long as a hidden mode, I think any beef with it, says more about the complainers than the light.

Only thing I hate more than a strobe light is a pocket clip. The odds of me ever needing and receiving help from an SOS signal, or using a strobe to fend off an attacker are, in my estimation, considerably worse than the odds of me and Mila Kunis getting married... to each other... and I'm ugly.

This post made my day LOL thank you wimmer. Beautifully handled conclusion there, by all accounts.
I like watching my family walk into door frames as they leave a room and I strobe 'em at just the right instant.

Teach me how to get my family to walk into door frames?

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I like it well hidden. My mom won't wear a hearing aid so if she doesn't hear the bell a flashing light gets her attention. I could do the same thing with a forward clicky as long as it doesn't change modes.

MicaelSweden

Newly Enlightened
Ok something got lost in my first post

My original intent was Do we/you or they reakt as intendet for SoS signal that we see or a strobing light and what are we doing when we see it ? dismissing it or take some kind of aktion.

I thing there is a bit differens where the light is if in hi populated areas dont reakt but in forest or off road lightning may make me to take a look.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOS mode is only realistic if you're lost or hurt in the forest/desert/ocean. Longer run time and it would help attract the attention of rescuers. In a city or any well lit area it's just going to be lost in the light clutter/light pollution.
Strobe is useful for cops, soldiers, and security guards. Or those who are into their self defense. Not everyone needs or wants it, but for those that do it can be very useful.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
God i hate simple flashlights that you have to click through high medium low sos/strobe every time, It`s much better to have a hidden sos/strobe that takes a combination of twists or button presses to activate.

I do like to have sos/strobe mode available.

John.