Need help finding good bright search/work light

Jakehawkins

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys and gals I am looking for a semi portable light for work, I work in EMS and there are so many different light companies these days its enough to make my head spin. LED'S are great but there is also hid lighting which Im unfamiliar with Im looking for advice and suggestions on brands and HID vs LED, I would like a light that is small enough that I could carry it on a belt but I could also settle on a light that I could keep in the truck. The department I work for is in a rural urban area that also has canyons so I would like a light that has a good combination of throw and flood thanks for the help!

scianiac

Newly Enlightened
You are probably going to want an LED light, they've progressed so much they are better than HID for nearly all circumstances. There are still a lot of options, if you could provide some more details we could narrow it down to some good suggestions. Like what type of battery do you want and how strong is that preference, Li-ion cells will give you the most options, most power, most battery life for instance but some prefer other batteries. What is your price range? What kind of battery life do you want during a give activity? (A small light can have amazing battery life on low but if you need high for an extended period of time you may want a larger light with more battery capacity).

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED and HID both have their place but more info would be helpful.
What kind of run times do you need?
Size/weight restrictions?
General durability (will it be subject to repeated drops, rain/submerging, used as a hammer, etc?)
Locked or focusable?
Swappable batteries or internal pack?
What kind of throw range?
Any thermal restrictions?
Automotive/ext powerable?

Keep in mind, HIDs don't like being turned on and off in short succession and they have a warm-up time unlike LEDs.

In your position, I don't think I'd settle on just one light. I personally would have a larger, high power HID in my truck and a mid range LED edc on my belt. It's really tough getting the best from both worlds yet. LED are getting better but there are areas that HID just work better than LEDs.... And vice versa.