Thread: led xmas lights

Hybrid View

Default led xmas lights

i recall someone on this board collects christmas lights. i saw a sample set of 150 red, green, yellow leds on a 65 foot string. the wholesale company i work for will be getting a quantity of these within a week. they are supposed to have 8 modes, but the sample i saw was lacking the control box. anyway i lit up a set and they looked nice. i'll probably buy a couple sets for the usual reasons, long-life and low power consumption. i havent seen these before? i'm not a salesman and we don't sell online. has anyone seen these?

Default Re: led xmas lights

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by franken:
    i recall someone on this board collects christmas lights. i saw a sample set of 150 red, green, yellow leds on a 65 foot string<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want some of these too.
    The city is banning decorative lights to keep rolling blackouts at bay, and LED Christmas lights are the perfect answer.

Flashaholic

The LED lights sound great!
    Now I can throw out all these old
    screwed up strings of lights.

Cool. But I bet they still tangle up just the same! ;-)

i recall someone on this board collects christmas lights

That would be me then [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I do know of those lights or ones like them, got a set from an online store called Simply Lighting. They have a few styles, I got the ones with the small round globes on. Not cheap, about 25 bucks (I think) per set of 60 controlled lights with 24 volt transformer plug, or about 8 bucks for a battery set but you could possibly rig up a wall-wart or variable PSU to run them I reckon.
    I have seen direct 120 volt powered LED xmas lights too somewhere on the web that just look like normal lights (except for domed leds not pointy bulbs)- even with the add on connector plug, I guess they`re just connected in series with the mains. 60 LEDs at 2 volts each=120 volts, probably a rectifier diode in line somewhere too. I think they just used the diffused red, yellow and yellow-grreen leds that all use ~2v.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

i think they're the same ones chris, 24 volt power supply and said to consume 6 watts! when these babies roll in, hopefully with control boxes included, i'll be shipping a set to craig, as he's the guy who got me hooked on led's. $25 seems a bit high retail, but thats business i guess. maybe craig will feature these in punishment zone by christmas! kidding aside, it's the least i could do to help support craigs site and all the info that i drew from it. again i'm not a salesman but being able to buy these @ 25% over cost makes me able to contribute in a small way hopefully to the flashaholics that i enjoy reading about thanks!