Storacell

Thread: led xmas lights

Default led xmas lights

i recall someone on this board collects christmas lights. i saw a sample set of 150 red, green, yellow leds on a 65 foot string. the wholesale company i work for will be getting a quantity of these within a week. they are supposed to have 8 modes, but the sample i saw was lacking the control box. anyway i lit up a set and they looked nice. i'll probably buy a couple sets for the usual reasons, long-life and low power consumption. i havent seen these before? i'm not a salesman and we don't sell online. has anyone seen these?

Default Re: led xmas lights

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by franken:
    i recall someone on this board collects christmas lights. i saw a sample set of 150 red, green, yellow leds on a 65 foot string<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want some of these too.
    The city is banning decorative lights to keep rolling blackouts at bay, and LED Christmas lights are the perfect answer.

Flashaholic

The LED lights sound great!
    Now I can throw out all these old
    screwed up strings of lights.

Cool. But I bet they still tangle up just the same! ;-)

i recall someone on this board collects christmas lights

That would be me then [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I do know of those lights or ones like them, got a set from an online store called Simply Lighting. They have a few styles, I got the ones with the small round globes on. Not cheap, about 25 bucks (I think) per set of 60 controlled lights with 24 volt transformer plug, or about 8 bucks for a battery set but you could possibly rig up a wall-wart or variable PSU to run them I reckon.
    I have seen direct 120 volt powered LED xmas lights too somewhere on the web that just look like normal lights (except for domed leds not pointy bulbs)- even with the add on connector plug, I guess they`re just connected in series with the mains. 60 LEDs at 2 volts each=120 volts, probably a rectifier diode in line somewhere too. I think they just used the diffused red, yellow and yellow-grreen leds that all use ~2v.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

i think they're the same ones chris, 24 volt power supply and said to consume 6 watts! when these babies roll in, hopefully with control boxes included, i'll be shipping a set to craig, as he's the guy who got me hooked on led's. $25 seems a bit high retail, but thats business i guess. maybe craig will feature these in punishment zone by christmas! kidding aside, it's the least i could do to help support craigs site and all the info that i drew from it. again i'm not a salesman but being able to buy these @ 25% over cost makes me able to contribute in a small way hopefully to the flashaholics that i enjoy reading about thanks!

Flashaholic*

Chris, Habitat ( a UK store ) has string and mesh lights ranging from £12-60. A friend saw some low-voltage transformered strings with ~8 cycles on special offer.
    Phone your local store to check availability.

Ahem, how many lights do you use to decorate your home at Xmas ?
    We have a local Xmas lights fanatic who charges entrance to his home to raise money for charity. Costs him £100's in electricity to run it for a month.

lite-lover
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Habitat ( a UK store ) has string and mesh lights ranging from £12-60. A friend saw some low-voltage transformered strings with ~8 cycles on special offer.

Are they LED lights or normal filament-bulb ones? If LED then I`ll have to find a way of getting to our nearest store in Cardiff- and I don`t travel too well (no car either)!
    I will admit I`m not too fond of controlled chaser lights for my outdoor decorating because theres no way to synchonise multiple strings with each other (without cutting off all the controllers and building my own higher powered control box to run them all together), also I normally prefer simple colour-fading effects to fast flashing and chasing. Thanks for telling me though.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by franken:
    i'll be shipping a set to craig, as he's the guy who got me hooked on led's. $25 seems a bit high retail, but thats business i guess. maybe craig will feature these in punishment zone by christmas! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Maybe I *will* feature them on the site so more people will buy them. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lite-Lover:

Ahem, how many lights do you use to decorate your home at Xmas ?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, until our electric rates went through the ceiling, I typically ran about 2,000 to 3,000 miniature bulbs. Most were in the window, a few hundred were in the tree, and a few hundred more for doorways and whatnot.

An additional hundred or two C7 bulbs were thrown in for good measure, but even with low power rates, these were too expensive to run for more than a few hours a night.

From the outside, my place looked like something out of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, since 95% these were crammed into one room of a tiny 1br. apartment in the middle of downtown.
    It was usually the only apt. for blocks around to have any substantial Christmas lighting at all, so it stood out like a sore thumb and could be seen for blocks. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Even got me in the paper one year. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Power usage went from a typical value of 150KWh in October to 1.44MWh (megawatt-hours!) in December because of all the damn lights. It's a wonder my watt-hour meter didn't blow off the wall! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

glad to see the interest in these lights and how many will be in stock. wow you guys really light the place up at christmas! we usually run mavbe 300 or so lights outside, but this could change!!!! i'll post whether or not the controller comes supplied. ps craig, figure at least 2 weeks between check-in time, pricing? and shipping, probably UPS. maybe longer. the wait will be worth it, just like updates to the "zone" [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

well they're in and we have 160 sets in stock. i cant find any controller supplied though, so they just light continously. we are selling these for $12.50 plus freight of course. weight is 2.7 lbs. i'm not at liberty to mention our cost (thats the name of the wholesale game) suffice to say we got em dirt cheap and i'm told there are plenty more available. if anyones interested, i can post our company e-mail addy and you could order there. (i may deserve a pat on the back from our salespeople who are relatively clueless as to internet sales!) i don't know if it's appropriate to try and sell these in this part of the forum? i'm not trying to "push" these and personally would not profit directly on any sales of these, just thought i might be able to save you guys some dough! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Administratior

Franken, post the info over in the "Dealers Corner". I know your not really a dealer, but I want the info and I imagine a bunch of other people do also. But I don't think you should post it here.

Brock

i recall someone on this board collects christmas lights. i saw a sample set of 150 red, green, yellow leds on a 65 foot string. the wholesale company i work for will be getting a quantity of these within a week. they are supposed to have 8 modes, but the sample i saw was lacking the control box. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Franken.

I got mine today - thanks!!

This model has 120 LEDs on a 65' string, and as you mentioned, has no controller despite what it says on the box. The colors are actually quite nice - the green is green and not that baby puke yellowish color like I was expecting. They're bright enough to stand out, yet not so bright you need sunglasses to look at your Christmas tree with. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The included "wall wart" supplies 24VAC at 200mA; in practical use the LEDs should only draw 100mA. Half of them are on during the first half of the AC cycle, the other half come on in the second part of the AC cycle.
    So there's not nearly as "flickery" as they could have been.

The very tips of the lamps are kind of magnifying, so they have a sparkling effect when you walk around them.

The lights stay cool enough you can run them in the box without anything becoming too warm, and the low voltage/low current makes them inherently safer, especially for those who own chewing pets like rats, hamsters, or new puppies.

With the lid closed and after running for about an hour, the interior of the box was probably not much more than 30°C (around 87°F if I guessed right).
    The wall wart stays cool, as if there were no load on it whatsoever.

I might want to buy some more of these for the holidays... I suspect this box is going to be hung up and used year 'round after I've taken pictures and whatnot for the website... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So there's my initial thoughts on these... and I haven't even taken them out of the box yet. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For those interested... I've given these guys a page on my website at: http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/xmas1.htm

I haven't completed the evaluation yet, nor do I have all of the header info up yet, but there's some good info posted.

Thanks!

well they're in and we have 160 sets in stock. i cant find any controller supplied though, so they just light continously. we are selling these for $12.50 plus freight of course. weight is 2.7 lbs<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have any contact or order info I can put on my review? A website URL or a simple set of ordering instructions perhaps?

glad you like'em craig. guess they were cheap because of the "phantom" controller box. surprised to see the quick work done on them though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] i'll update the "led xmas lights" post in "dealers corner" with more info. thanks

Franken- can you ship overseas and do you accept a visa card- I`ve got to get a set of those for myself, they look great!

Nice writeup Craig, they are brighter than I imagined in that pic round your room. This room`s full of xmas lights already (I know- it`s springtime but what can I say- I`m a hopeless light addict!), but one more set won`t hurt!

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

chris, for those light addicts among us, we can ship overseas. go to dealers corner and click on led xmas lights for more info.

I wonder where these strings originate? Nice to see them showing up cheap and plentiful.

Two years or so ago, I bought a couple of strings of them -- also described as controllable but lacking any controller -- when the Hammacher-Schlemmer catalog had them, and have liked them fine. (same box, anyhow, as the one pictured at http://www.backwoodssolar.com/Catalo...ED%20LIGHTSThe descriptions match too. I've been thinking of putting a separate circuit for them for night-lighting our house too.

well they're in and we have 160 sets in stock. i cant find any controller supplied though, so they just light continously. we are selling these for $12.50 plus freight of course. weight is 2.7 lbs<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a guy who wants to buy a couple of sets of these lights from you... are you still with us?
    Do you still have any of these left?

Does anyone know where to get them if Franken is no longer with us?

I wanted to get a couple of those too a while back- I sent a note to the contact address on your review page but got no reply. Guess they sold out already....

I also tried to find a place that sells those neat "Forever-Bright" sets- blue and white ones especially- but none of them would do it, or couldn`t do it. Craig, you couldn`t put me in touch with your contact at ForeverBright could you? Perhaps see if they wouldn`t mind sending a couple over here for an, er, review? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Enlightened

I just got out the Xmas lights and found half dead strings again. After checking all the bulbs and finding the usuall no problem I hit the stores.

At our local Menards they carry something called Rope Style Lights.

What they are are 1/2 inch clear tubing with LEDs inside. 1 light every inch. We went with the multi-colored strings but they also had solid color ones. They came in 30 ft lengths for about 15 bucks. Up to 5 strings can be connected together. Claims 30,000 hr average bulb life. No more tangling, no more burned out bulbs... I think I went to LED heaven. Now to see how they hold up.

Instructions claim 30ft string consumes 165 Watts, 1.38 amps.

Ron

Ron are you sure those were LED ropelights? I think I know the suff you mean- solid tough tube with the lights moulded into it. But normally it has tiny long life bulbs inside, not LEDs- try this- when the stuff is off, are they all clear "bulbs", then they light up multicoloured, or are they all coloured when off too? If they`re coloured when off, you`ve got bulbs there, 99% certain. I used neon ropelight in 1999-2000, it`s very nice but not the same as "regular" xmas lights in my opinion. Looks a bit "commercial" and unless you have it secured perfectly straight along wherever you`re running it, it can end up not looking so good. I may use it again though, not sure.

Course you could prove me wrong- it`d be nice to see LED neon ropelight. Any way to take some up-close macro pictures? I`ll dig one of my lengths out later and do the same.

~~~~~

Incidentally I got hold of some great LED lights recently from UK electronics supplier Maplin Electronics. I believe they ship overseas but like everything in this land of ours, they`re very expensive! Still you`s lot may like to see them.

All-White plain bulbs or All-Blue clear stars! Only drawback is they have one of those annoying multi effect pushbutton controllers that won`t remember the last setting it was on when you turn the power off- so I`m going to fit a connector so I can remove it and connect straight to the 24v transformer if I don`t want effects.

White. Look like Nichia parts, with specially molded inverse-conical tops to spread the light out. They`re from a lucky-bag of colour ranks it seems, I see slight subtle tints of greens, blues, pinks and yellows, much the norm for white LEDs and quite attractive really! Overall though, a nice cold icy white....

<center></center>

<center></center>

Blue. Possibly Nichia 3mm moulded into those stars which diffract the light all around. Wonderful colours, two distinct ranks it seems- some are the more common slightly cyan-tinted Nichia blue (like the Photons), and some are a stunning deep blue (like the ASP Sapphire), almost violetty in fact- not far off the wavelength of those deep blue narrowband Kingbright LEDs Craig sells on his LEDs For Sale page.

<center></center>

<center></center>

<center></center>

Watch out for these being used in my lights display this year- a seperate web site about my xmas displays is being worked on right now and will be accessible from my homepage in due course.

One concern I had with these- these LED lights came with spare LED bulbs! And what`s more, one of the white LEDs was out, so I needed one of the two spares suppled with the set!

<center></center>

Well, not quite out, but very dim- but it was like that out of the box. No need to make a fuss and have to ship`em back for a new set so I just changed it over. So far so good but I`m a little concerned that more will fail, the white set I`m keeping a close eye on- it`s hung up in here already. Great colour!

If you want some of your very own you can get them from http://maplin.co.uk for a whopping GB£30/set of 56. Not sure of the avaliability at present, but they better have at least one more of each cos I like`em so much I`m going to use one set in each of the four main windows at the front of our house. Good that I have a mainly blue and ice-white colour scheme this year!

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*
    NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

Chris M:
    Do you notice the 50Hz or 60Hz flicker when these are illuminated? I was just wondering if they are directly AC powered or are they using filtered DC?

Ed

Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
    I think I know the suff you mean- solid tough tube with the lights moulded into it. But normally it has tiny long life bulbs inside, not LEDs- try this- when the stuff is off, are they all clear "bulbs", then they light up multicoloured, or are they all coloured when off too? If they`re coloured when off, you`ve got bulbs there, 99% certain. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since they are colored when off I would say you are correct. I just had never run across a bulb with an average life of 30,000 hrs. Sounded more like an LED to me.

They do look different than traditional Xmas lights but since the wife liked them and they saved me a lot of work, I am sold on them.

There is a flicker if you look for it- move your head fast to look up at them and you see little dotted streaks- I expect it`s rectified to DC inside the controller, but not smoothed. I do have a frequency counter but no light dependant thingy-wotsists to hook to it so I can see if it`s full wave (100hz)or half wave (50hz). My guess says it`s 50, but it`s no big deal, TV screens flicker worse than these do.

You could, of course, power it from a 24vDC smoothed supply, if the controller were removed (it probably takes its timing from the 50hz frequency) and have no flicker at all.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]