1st post!! Question re: common ground for mult. LEDs

98sf19

Newly Enlightened
So I was looking for a forum where I could find information on some LED projects I have lined up for my car. Seems that the emphasis is mainly on flashlights, but I see some other sections.

One of my projects involves multiple circuits running multiple short strips of LEDs in car doors. I currently have 20 ga wire x 4, all hots (+), in passenger side door. I also have a 18 ga black/white (+/-). My first thought was to just ground all lights to a door bolt, but here are my questions:

Would the lights see a higher voltage/brighter light with grounding to door hardware vs. grounding to the black wire (which will connect to an existing ground wire under floorboard)? Does the resistance between the two differ enough to make a visual difference? It might be important since I plan on running an LED sequencer for these lights, as well as some in wheel wells. I just don't want a noticeable timing disparity between the lights.

Thanks!

kevinthefro

Newly Enlightened
Grounding to the door bolt will probably be fine. Cars have a ground strap, connecting the body to chassis ground. If your ground strap is good, there will be no difference. If your ground strap is corroded or broken, the body will be a poor ground and the lights will be dimmer.