I made a rookie knife mistake

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
A guy I work with that has over 30 sub $50 folders told me about a guy that sharpens knives. When I asked him if he was familiar with the grind on a Microtech he replied with, "He knows every knife, he's a real pro."

On Sat. I went to the flea market (this guys office) and found him standing behind a whole line of grinders. I had my Microtech Mini UDT, 4 kitchen knives and my Swisstool. I gave him all 6 and asked if he was familiar with Microtech and he said, "Sure", not a real gabby fellow. I walked around for 20 minutes and he was nearly done when I got back. I have to say every knife will shave hair with ease but on the other hand...My Mini UDT is missing a full 1/3 of it's BT finish and it's ugly. He didn't just grind the edge, he managed to grind spots all over the blade. The other knives had the same fate but I don't care about them and they are silver to begin with. It's a good thing the UDT is an EDC and the body is a little banged up otherwise, never mind.

I will use the guy again for my cheap stuff but I am offering this as a beware to those of you that might make the same mistake. Buy a good sharpener or go to a guy that specializes in your type knife. I would supply a photo but it might make you as ill as I am.

paulr

Flashaholic
I once contacted Benchmade about getting the blade replaced on an AFCK 800S (about an $80 liner lock knife). Blade replacement cost $25, seemed reasonable. Maybe Microtech can do something comparable.

ygbsm

Enlightened
I don't know that I'd "use the guy again" even for cheap stuff if he'd screwed up my expensive Microtech. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif I avoid many types of "sharpeners" because some can also screw up your blade (I'm old fashioned and use a large arkansas stone or a large DMT stone mounted firmly on a bench and a lot of patience). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

matt_j

Enlightened
Hey Dave,

I was working with my Sebenza at my Dad's garden and left it behind to do some job in front of the house. When I got back I see my dad with his diamond sharpener doing me a "favor" on my knife. I let him finish since I know better than to argue with my old man but my blade looks horrible. It has scuffs and grinding scratches all over. I just looked at it and went home trying to buff it out but to no use. I know my dad meant good and I know he can put a sharp edge on tools but he just butchered my Sebenza. But no biggie since few days later I was opening a bottle of industrial drain cleaner and my blade was stained anyway.

Matt

was_jlh

Enlightened
Dave, I'm sorry. As a microholic, that turned my stomach. No one has ever sharpened my Kestrel except me.

Joe

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried the Spyderco Sharpmaker? I just got one last week, and while I'm not completely proficient with it yet, I've gotten good results the first couple of times I've used it. If you follow the instructions, it is almost idiot-proof.

-Keith

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
Ah yes, the guys with grinders at flea markets or gun shows that "can sharpen any knife". For the most part they are simply looking to make some extra money and tend to do a horrible job (not all of them, but most). They could care less if they butcher your blade. I made that mistake early on. About 10 or 12 years ago I took a Cold Steel SRK to a guy that sharpened on a grinder. I watched him. Aside from ruining the finish, he got the edge so hot it glowed red which ruined it also.

There is no substitute for learning how to sharpen knives yourself using a stone or one of the systems properly.

If you take it to a grinder guy, make sure he knows what he is doing before he ruins your knife.

darkgear.com

Enlightened
I took my Spyderco merlin to the same type of guy. He proceded to nearly straighten the blade. I asked him why he did it. He said "it was too hard to sharpen in that shape but I figured it out". his exact words.

I was lucky enough that it was only a merlin and not a limited BM or my sebenza.

I think we should ask them if they know how much this knife costs before they subject it to their grinders.

Now that I'm back home in Hawaii though...I have an uncle that lived in Japan for 8 years and he sharpens Samurai swords and has been doing it here in Hawaii for over 20 years now. He took my nothing, no-name knives and made them UNBELIEVABLY sharp. He gets all my business from now on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best regards,
Randy

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,
Buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker and get the diamond coated rods too. It is worth the peace of mind to know that you can sharpen your nice knives by yourself.

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened
I guess I managed to avoid this one, I once asked someone about sharpening my cold steel voyager (serrated) the guy said "Yeah I can sharpen it, but the serrations would be gone." To this day I can't figure out how he had the nerve to answer in the affirmative in any way. I walked away, quickly I think after that answer.

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nullandvoid said:
I guess I managed to avoid this one, I once asked someone about sharpening my cold steel voyager (serrated) the guy said "Yeah I can sharpen it, but the serrations would be gone." To this day I can't figure out how he had the nerve to answer in the affirmative in any way. I walked away, quickly I think after that answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahhaha. Man oh man. I would love to see the expression on your face when he said that. Priceless.

Matt

Whistler

Enlightened
Yeah,

the Spyderco sharpmaker is really good. I consider it second best (to me, with my skills on that matter, idiot-proof it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) behind original sharpening by CRK...

polak, is your Sebbie 'gone' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif? Otherwise you could send it to CRK to get it repaired. They can reshape it...

matt_j

Enlightened
Hey Whistler,

no it is sharp as ever but it looks ugly with stains and scratches all over the blade. But it is going back in few weeks to Chris Reeve for makeover. I'm getting custom WTC memorial handle put on it so at the same time I will ask him to look at my blade. Plus my friend gave me a set of Lansky sharpeners today so I think I will be able to set my blades right on the dot from now on.

Matt

Bill.H

Enlightened
Dave,

Go take a look at this site, and buy the book. Steve's a pro sharpener who's tested most everything out there. He knows his stuff, and with a little practice you'll be surprised how good you can get. I find it a nice way to relax while watching (or ignoring) the tube.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Been using Lansky with quite satisfactory results for years now. When I get some disposable cash handy I plan on getting the Spyderco set. In the meantime though I've discovered I can do a reletively good job with by holding the Lansky stones freehand, eyeballing the angle and using the feel of the blade on the stone as a guide. The results I've gotten are as good as using the rods and guide, and better in knives where the rods interfered and on a cheap kitchen knife I previously had written off as "unsharpen-able".

Anyone else have an experience like this with the Lansky system?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I started doing my wifes kives (she's a chef) with my EdgePro, everyone else in the kitchen wants me to do their knives too. They won't let their current knife person touch their personal knives, just the house knives. The person who currently does them leaves them with major burrs which break off quickly leaving their knives ...... well, not sharp. They also grind way, way too much material off. Much more than is necessary and basically shortens the useful life of their knives down to a couple of years.

Learning to do your own (regardless of technique) will save you much grief and give you pride in ownership. As well as drive you crazy trying to make your knives so sharp that they will scare hair off your arms without even touching them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

billgr

Newly Enlightened
will the Spyderco Sharpmaker work on stainless knives? i was under the impression that once stainless dulled, there was nothing you could do for it?

DumboRAT

Enlightened
billgr,

You'll do fine with the SharpMaker on "stainless" steels. Even the new "exotics" like S30V will do fine on the basic system and can go from dull to beyond razor sharp if you are willing to spend the time.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Latest posts