Rumor Going around that Microtech has been sold...

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
I have read on a couple of different forums, that Tony the owner of Microtech, has sold the company. This was said by some well respected people on the forums, I find that very hard to believe, I remember Tony saying they had some new and interesting things coming this year. Does anyone here have any more info on this??..

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
MT has had one foot in the grave for a couple of years, at least.

Whomever bought the company I wish them well. MT has angered quite a few people, lately...

--dan

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
Re: Rumor Going around that Microtech has been sol

your right, I know that Greg Lightfoot and Tony have had a falling out, I wish I new what happened. Anyway it could just be rumors. Tony is a weird guy. Come out with some new models that are very popular, then Ax them. I hope that if it is true that whoever is buying it, will bring back the good stuff like the Amphibian, Socom, etc, and get the QC issues taken care of. I wonder what Tony will be doing now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a SOCOM Elite Auto...I opened it the other day, and a screw broke on it...Huh???

I was going to send it in for repairs....Decided against that with MT's 4-6 MONTH turnaround time on repairs...Now with this rumor, I'll wait and see.

--dan

DumboRAT

Enlightened

So far, no confirmations from anyone in-the-know........

Allen
aka DumboRAT

PS: dano, you'll have to hold off on the repairs no matter what, as MT stopped assigning RMA#s at the beginning of this month due to backlogs. Please give them a call - first - when you're ready to insure that they're GtG again before you send in your blade ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

hmm, damn I hope this isnt true.
I have a few Microtechs, and like them alot.
I currently EDC a Socom.

I have been out of the knife world as far as new stuff for a little while though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Samoan

Enlightened

I love my Mini Socom, but my current EDC is a Kershaw Leek.

M

MeridianTactical

I called on the rumor, and its just a rumor at this point.. I trust my source (I'm a MT dealer)... The fallout IS true Tony Vs. Greg...

bigcozy

Enlightened

MOD was purchased by Blackhawk, for what that is worth. Not the same company, but they started out as partners.

Prometheus

Newly Enlightened
North American Continent, Earth, Sol System
MT is the company many of us love to hate, and then love., and then hate again.... we know first hand from being one of their dealers since 1996-97. there is not much we haven't heard, seen first hand, or experienced good and bad.

1) they mave made some of the greatest production knives ever to fall in to our mits.

2) if you are an unlucky one and get one of their bum-knives, their repairs dept. is one of the most aggravating service areas one will ever encounter. 6months + to get a defective product repaired is really unacceptable.

3) bascially once they have your money especially if you're one of their dealers, there is very little service after the sale.

4) MT has 9 lives, and they have been sued by just about everyone they have ever partnered up with, from some big time investors to scam artists like Mike Turber (* who actually "won" a partnership with MT as a reward thru court; the whole balisong project was the final agreement), they must be on their 7th or 8th life right now.

I am in frequent communication with Greg Lightfoot (who is just about as a straight shooter in the custom knife business as you can get) ; MT never paid ANY royalites for his LCC design. after some chasing, Greg was eventually able to get "paid" in his own knives. which he then had to sell on his own to recoup some the money owned by MT for licensing the LCC design.

alot of rumours, myths and inuuendo surround this knife company. its quite entertaining for any one in the industry. the latest is that Tony is getting into making x#x parts. thats the latest buzz from several sources. whether or not the knives will continue to be made in the caliber of 4 years ago when they were perhaps at their peak, seems unlikely.

when MT needs your money they will promise you the world. once they have it, they barely remember your name.

they still have made some of the coolest knives out there. as long as there is a demand, they will be able to get away with their particular brand of "business". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Prometheus said:
[...]
to scam artists like Mike Turber (* who actually "won" a partnership with MT as a reward thru court; the whole balisong project was the final agreement)

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, this is news to me. Mike Turber is the original founder of BFC, and eventually sold BFC to Spark (who I understand is a totally stand up guy). Any links to info about Turber being a scam artist?

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened

I never new that Mike had started bladeforums. I thought it was spark who had started it. Thanks for the info Prometheus, I never new it was that way with microtech, except for the lightfoot thing, and that I had no idea what the problem was there, I appreciate it..

Skyline

Enlightened

Woops, I guess I just exposed how long I've been on BFC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Yup, Mike started BFC. He even has this in his sig now:

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Turber
Founder of BladeForums.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking around, it seems his rep really started going downhill with his Wow Inc. knife business. I do know that overall, people are happier with 1SKS after Spark took over.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really like both my Microtechs, some of the most beautifully made production knives I own. I stopped buying them when they started the whole 2 years worth of threats of discontinuation that boosted their demand on certain models. That peeved me, and they finally did discontinue the full size Socom model, but only after they had made a killing on it from the rumors and misleading statements. I always wondered if they promoted false shortages too but who would know, eh?

Tad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

What are x#x parts?

Mike Turber? Oh no...that's all i'm going to say about that mess...

--dan

M

MeridianTactical

Yup, I know Mike! He did right by me back when he ran WOW and I was one of the first on BF. But I got off of it for a few years as i was focusing on my Engineering biz and not Meridian Tactical.

MT stuff is nice! I have a Socom I use a an EDC and I'm pulling a Socom Desert Tan Auto out of stock for myself...

I put away my Benchmade AFCK oncve I got the socom, and for the past 4 years carried the Socom.

If you can affort a MT get one, Service might be lacking (as stated above, I have not delt with them) But the knives are great.

I would only move up to a Sebenza from my MT...

DumboRAT

Enlightened

Patrick !!!! Great to see you here ! I never knew you were a part of CPF, too ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

DumboRAT

Enlightened

Reports at this date, supposedly directly from Tony's mouth, is that this just all rumor.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened

thats good to hear, I just hope that they will work on there QC problems, and gettting everyones knives fixed sooner, the amount of time it takes for them to fix something is rediculous..