Can you swap out the led on a Fenic pd35

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Can someone take the time to please write a write up on how to do a led swap on a PD35. I want it to be a triple nichia but don't know how to take apart the head without damaging the light

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're asking for a lot here. That won't be an easy mod. Getting into the light shouldn't be too hard though. Its probably glued (red loctite) so you'll need lots of heat, a heat gun works best in my experience, and plenty of torque. You can use anything to twist, hell channellocks will do the job, but most folks prefer small strap wrenches because they don't cause nearly so much damage to the finish. After that though, you're on your own. Personally I'd suggest you leave your PD35 alone and buy a new host for your triple Nichia. Convoys are great...

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone take the time to please write a write up on how to do a led swap on a PD35. I want it to be a triple nichia but don't know how to take apart the head without damaging the light
I've taken a few of the PD32 head apart and so I'm sure the PD35 is the same deal. They are glued on and its pretty hard to get them apart as noted by emarkd. I use two strap wrenches and a vice. One of the strap wrenches wrapped around the light and then into the vice so that it will not get marred by the vice. Once apart, then I can reflow another LED but getting the head apart is the hardest part.

Next time, I'm going to drill a hole in a piece of wood that is about the diameter of the head and then saw it in half and place that in the vice. It may take some experimenting to get the right size hole but the object is to clamp tight on one side of the light and the wood won't scar the head like pliers or a bare vice. The vice used to hold the light tight without turning and then use a strap wrench to unscrew the head.

Last edited: