Mechanic's headlamp?

JudgeHolden

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, new to the forum,

I just bought boat and car for $2350 total (18` Regal and 2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV) . They'll both be be needing a lot of work and considering I work full-time until 6pm, I'll be needing the best headlamp possible. I'll mainly be doing engine work and some body work as well. I'm happy to spend whatever is necessary. Thank you for your suggestions!!

Trango

Newly Enlightened
Hi JudgeHolden :welcome:

Since body work and engine work are close up jobs, I would opt for a full flood headlamp, the only ones I know of are made by Zebralight, the model H502d which runs on AA, or H603d which runs on 18650 cells. Both are high CRI and daylight white.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trango, pretty much so nails it. For longer run times, I suggest a 18650 cell light. One also worth mentioning is the Nitecore HC90. Quality construction, with a Micro USB charging port. That may make it easier to keep the battery topped off for you.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I have had multiple headlamps over the years. At the moment, I have the Nitecore HC90 and the Fenix HL50.

The Nitecore I use predominantly for hunting where the colored LEDs are very handy and useful for navigation, map reading and such. The only drawback of the HC90 is that it is on the heavy side. It is the heaviest headlamp I have had and while it isn't an issue for me the way I use it. I see it being an issue for automotive work where you are bending or leaning over. l suspect that it wouldn't stay put and it would have a tendency to fall off of your head.

The Fenix HL50 is my go to headlamp for chores around the house when I need my hands free. It is very light and I forget that it's even on my head. It stays put when I am bending over and has very useful light levels in my opinion. I think that you would be happy with it for your stated purpose.

The only drawback I see are the CR123A batteries. It also has an adapter for AA batteries though I have never used it/them. If you buy the CR123A batteries on line you can usually find them for about a buck apiece. They are outrageously expensive if you buy them over the counter in a store. The CR123's have a long shelf life so buying in bulk isn't an issue. I usually buy 12 or 24 at a time depending on the deal.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hl50-led-headlamp/

Bob

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coast FL70 focusing headlamp might be an option. It adjusts from a very even and wide floor beam for close up work to a very effective spot when you need to penetrate into the shadows.

It has three power levels, but the low level may be all that you need for close up work under a car - it might even be too bright for som very close up work.

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend the Nitecore HC50 [emoji1] wide beam, sturdy body, and works great with work gloves on.

JudgeHolden

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of your answers!
What are your opinions on the Coast HL27 vs the Coast HL7 vs the Black Diamond Spot. I have a bunch of AAA rechargables, so I'd like to go that route to keep weight down as well. I'll be using the lights mainly on the low or medium setting.[h=1][/h]

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all of your answers!
What are your opinions on the Coast HL27 vs the Coast HL7 vs the Black Diamond Spot. I have a bunch of AAA rechargables, so I'd like to go that route to keep weight down as well. I'll be using the lights mainly on the low or medium setting.[h=1][/h]

Will the battery packs on the back of the headband be an issue when laying on a creeper under the vehicle? I find rear mounted battery packs to be quite inconvenient in that situation.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
If you are using aaa rechargeables perhaps a balck diamond revolt. I like mine quite a bit. Micro USB charging as well. The aaa rechargeables in it are normal nimh batteries with a bit of the wrapper cut off. You can see on YouTube how to make regular aaa rechargeables charge in it but I don't think they will work in other things anymore. If you are fine with using the micro USB for the batteries that come with it and an external charger for spares it should work well. Otherwise there are plenty of good options. My personal favorites are the zebra light h52fw and h600fw ii.