Question on N-Cell vs 2/3aaa NiHM batteries (ending voltage)

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit puzzled and trying to understand what is happening. I have a Muyshondt Maus Mk I in Ti (3 mode) that I have been looking to find a rechargeable battery option for.

Previously, I owned a Maus in Aluminum which has a low and high mode. I found a rechargeable N-Cell 500mAh NiHM battery that fit from Chris at Ogaz/TnC Products. To clarify, I purchased additional cells but only one fit due to variances in cell width either in the body of the cell or at the lip of the cell. With the one battery that fit, I was able to get a runtime of 36.5 - 37.5hrs on low, and about 38-45min on high. Starting voltage for both tests was 1.44v, while ending voltage for both tests was 1.22v.

As none of the rechargeable N-Cell batteries fit the Ti Maus (not even the one that fit in the aluminum light), I decided to try a 2/3aaa NiMH 400mAh battery. Runtime on high mode was about 25 minutes, at which point I stopped the test as output had dropped to about a lumen. Starting voltage was 1.45v, ending voltage was 1.20v. Runtime on medium mode was about 3hrs, and runtime on low is unknown. It turned off at some point while I was asleep this morning, though I was expecting it to last at least 24 hours which it did not do. Here is the odd thing, on both medium and low I had charged the cell back up to 1.45v and ending voltage was 1.30v (medium mode) and 1.29v (low mode). The battery would not power the light on at either of these two points when turned back off and on after a short rest. What might the reason be for this? Is it due to the quality of the battery?

In case it makes a difference, the N-Cell in question is NT50NH. The 2/3aaa in question is PKCELL 2/3aaa.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Probably just out of energy at that point, I'd guess ....

Note that open circuit voltage may not be very indicative of state of charge for NiMH, and even moreso for small capacity cells and relatively high current draw

Last edited: