Fitorch        
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314
Results 391 to 403 of 403

Thread: The Tint Snob Thread

  1. #391

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    This is the tint snob thread. So when I shine my high CRI 4000K Nichia (Malkoff MD2) on a white wall and see a nice white tint, I'm happy. When I shine a 4000K Zebralight on a wall and see yellow, I'm upset. High CRI or not, it's not something I want to live with, no matter how good it looked outside (it looks pretty darn nice, actually). Part of it is the inconsistency between two 4000K lights that drives me crazy. Yes, everything I just said there is 37% insanity.
    GOOD TINT!

  2. #392
    kaichu dento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    大和/Alyeska
    Posts
    5,639

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    Quote Originally Posted by snowlover91 View Post
    Still, the point remains as I originally stated, that white wall hunting is only one out of many considerations when evaluating tint and usefulness of a new light. Furthermore, Iíve read many posts over the years from CPF posters who simply shine a light on a wall and perform no further testing. Itís not meant to demean other posters but simply highlight the fact that white wall hunting is a small part of evaluation.

    A poll phrased that way would be meaningless. A better poll would be one asking if a person would return a light that exhibited beam artifacts or a tint issues on a white wall, and no other testing done.
    Apparently here just for the argument when you disagree with me using the exact points in my post which you consider yourself to be contradicting.

    A better poll would be the one I mentioned, gaining the same results, but with your wording instead. Right.

    Fact of the matter is markr6 made some excellent points, jonslider made what should have been the definitive post on white walls worldwide and yet on you go...

    Just for the record, my belief is that there are two kinds of CPF'ers: Ones who admit they shine their lights at white walls and ones who do it but make fun of others, then go back to looking at pictures of beamshots taken against a backdrop of white walls.
    Last edited by kaichu dento; 07-17-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

  3. #393

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    snowlover thanks for the exploration, I don't want to single you out as someone to debate, in fact, I think we are on the same side of the table :-)
    Most of all I absolutely respect that you have found a light that works for your needs and application. Great to hear your descriptions and observations. Thanks for the food for thought.

    LeanBurn, I also totally agree that auto white balance changes the tint of an image. That is why I intentionally include a cool white LED in my photos. It sets the white balance.

    I also use an incandescent light at home, it is 3000k. I like to shine my flashlights on the ceiling near it, to compare how much cooler my LEDs are. All these tests are informing because they show relative tint. Like you, I find whitewall particularly informing when comparing identical model LEDs, as there can be some surprising variations..

    this group surprised me, they are all 10180 N219b lights, Astrolux M01, M02, M03.. some pretty wild tint bin variation on the middle one in particular:




    btw, my white wall studio is actually a piece of printer paper folded at 90 degrees.. recommended :-)

    next I compare two of the 10180 N219b LEDs to my Maratac w Nichia.. surprise!

    Not all Nichias are pink, at all :-)


    fwiw, I dont post every photo I shoot, Im not a pro, Ive just a few steps that help me capture an image that approximately shows what I see, and more particularly, because Im a 4000k N219b snob (that is to say I have the most experience with it), I really like beam shots that contain a 4000k Nichia for my reference.

    thanks to everyone contributing, really appreciate the chance to test and explore ideas together.
    respect

    ps
    the only meaning any of these colors have, to me, is in the context of my experience using them. its not that I like the purple beam, particularly, but I prefer it to the green beam. I find the Maratac a little more yellow than I would like, but I tolerate it because of a number of other features I find value in, the size, the efficiency, the material, the circuit..

    I can definitely see that just returning a light for being pink purple or green, misses the context of actual use, that could be so much more informing. The colors then are really only a reference point, to compare actual experience with.

    So, "actual use" testing is definitely equally, or more important, than white wall comparisons.. both are useful, its not an OR choice, its an And choice.. kind of like buying lights :-)
    Last edited by jon_slider; 07-17-2017 at 06:08 PM.

  4. #394
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    521

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    @jon_slider. I've thoroughly enjoyed your soap box stump speeches on beam tint and CRI. You've helped me to warm up to cool white, if you'll endure the pun. The only part I couldn't understand was the bit about green leaves and high CRI. I've always thought hi CRI works better on green as well, but my observation may be influenced by the poor rendition of nearby browns (tree bark, dirt, etc.) when using a typical ~70 CRI CW flashlight.
    Fully potted or bust...

  5. #395

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Apparently here just for the argument when you disagree with me using the exact points in my post which you consider yourself to be contradicting.

    A better poll would be the one I mentioned, gaining the same results, but with your wording instead. Right.

    Fact of the matter is markr6 made some excellent points, jonslider made what should have been the definitive post on white walls worldwide and yet on you go...

    Just for the record, my belief is that there are two kinds of CPF'ers: Ones who admit they shine their lights at white walls and ones who do it but make fun of others, then go back to looking at pictures of beamshots taken against a backdrop of white walls.
    No, just pointing out an observation. Your original statement was "I highly doubt that a poll asking if anyone used a white wall as a sole test of a lights usefulness to them would get even a single positive vote. Over-hyped talking point that can't be put away soon enough." If a poll was phrased and said "Do you use a white wall as a sole test of a light's usefulness" then very few to none would admit to that. However, if a poll question was phrased "Would you return a light that exhibited beam artifacts/tint issues on a white wall?" the results would be much different. It is the same question, yes, but in any language the context and way a question is asked can have an impact on the results and the perception of those reading the question.

    I have a feeling you have not carefully read my posts. I several times mentioned the usefulness of white wall testing and that I do it myself, and take beam shots as well. If you've seen me post before, you'll see that I've done quite a few white wall beam shots. They certainly have their place but shouldn't be the sole criteria, and as jon mentioned, I mostly agree with him.

    Furthermore, tint is subjective, so really any test whether on white walls, in the woods, or anywhere else will be based on a user's personal experience and preferences. Some users here use white wall testing as their sole criteria for determining if the light meets their standards or not. Is there anything wrong with that? Absolutely not, that is a personal choice/preference. Would it be better for a person to go through a wide range of tests and usage scenarios to further examine the usefulness of said light? In my opinion, yes. Mark's point is valid, if he shines it on the wall and it is so off-putting that he can't stand it, then he needs to get rid of it. I mentioned previously that the only time I consider the white wall test as the sole criteria is if the perceived tint is so horrible (green, purple, yellow, etc) that a person won't be happy with it. However, in a situation where it has a subtle tint of yellow, green, etc then the person should evaluate further with other usage scenarios and tests to determine the usefulness of the light.

    Jon summarized the same thoughts I have quite well below:
    ps
    the only meaning any of these colors have, to me, is in the context of my experience using them. its not that I like the purple beam, particularly, but I prefer it to the green beam. I find the Maratac a little more yellow than I would like, but I tolerate it because of a number of other features I find value in, the size, the efficiency, the material, the circuit..

    I can definitely see that just returning a light for being pink purple or green, misses the context of actual use, that could be so much more informing. The colors then are really only a reference point, to compare actual experience with.

    So, "actual use" testing is definitely equally, or more important, than white wall comparisons.. both are useful.
    Last edited by snowlover91; 07-17-2017 at 07:06 PM.

  6. #396

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I've always thought hi CRI works better on green as well
    I recently discovered that my 70 CRI cool white flashlight did a better job on green leaves than my favorite neutral high cri nichia. I was as surprised as you are.. there was no bark, wood, nor dirt involved, just pure green canopy.. the cool was more lush.. strange but true.. look at the green spectrum of these LEDs:

    xpg2 6000k 71 cri


    N219A 4300k 87 Cri


    both can do green
    but when dirt and bark come into the picture, then yes, High Cri has a big advantage:


    you can see though the green actually pops more on the cool white side (because it fails to show the reds and browns in the leaf maybe)
    Quote Originally Posted by snowlover91 View Post
    tint is subjective
    I agree. But it bothers me when people "seem" to disagree, until I find find a rhyme to their reason.

    that is why Im investing my efforts into emphasizing that the subjective prefference might actually be more universally held in common, IF similar mindsets, our in this case, white balance of the brain, are in play.

    example, a guy who drives a truck to service a boiler in a basement will enter the dark and will be glad to use his 6000k 500 lumen light, for about half an hour, after which he might switch to his 4000k Nichia and be perfectly happy spending the next hour underground with 100 Lumens of neutral white light..

    a guy who works at Home Depot, and has to go into a back room to find something, 4000k, probably not. Inside my camper, close range, 10 lumens and a Beer, not likely to be 6000k.. get my drift? People aren't that different, its their environment that varies, and their preference is based on where they are using the lights.. and at what lumen levels..

    kind words are always appreciated, Im also grateful when my typing echoes other's thinking.. thanks :-)
    I also appreciate your forgiveness when I test my thoughts in long wordy posts, only later to learn I disagree with myself.. LOL

    whirled peas

  7. #397
    kaichu dento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    大和/Alyeska
    Posts
    5,639

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    Quote Originally Posted by snowlover91 View Post
    It is the same question, yes, but in any language the context and way a question is asked can have an impact on the results and the perception of those reading the question.
    Yes, and like you, I find a lot of valuable content in jon_slider's posts.

    We share some views and differ on others, just like the rest of humanity. At least we've got lights...
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

  8. #398
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    521

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    I recently discovered that my 70 CRI cool white flashlight did a better job on green leaves than my favorite neutral high cri nichia.

    both can do green
    but when dirt and bark come into the picture, then yes, High Cri has a big advantage:


    you can see though the green actually pops more on the cool white side (because it fails to show the reds and browns in the leaf maybe)
    Thanks for the photos. I'm trying, but I still struggle to see what you mean. Maybe the green seems to pop because there is a higher contrast with the bark? I'm going to play around in the woods tonight and find a green canopy with no nearby browns.
    Fully potted or bust...

  9. #399
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    17,756

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    I also notice the xp-g2 6000k has pretty fairly accurate colours. For a cool white 6000k, it is.......how can I put it, easily tolerable maybe. I just find my eyes welcome a slightly warmer cast generally, and certainly in the evening.

    An older quad xp-g2 5000k off vinh(CQvn) is still a pleasure to use today as it was several years back. When used in work , with cooler artificial light, it makes it look on the warm side of neutral=perfect for me!

    Back to the 6000k xp-g2, I am pretty made up I have tried it again of late(you know all these nichia's and xpl HI 4000-5000k spoil us). I don't like p60's not in use(left to one side by having a preferred ). So at least now I can enjoy using it again, all be it with selected aplications(more in day time).

  10. #400

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    Speaking of XP-G2, whatever Don is using in the Haiku pleasantly surprised me. I have to find out what bin it is.
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlightís potential, not sure where it got itís popularity. - DB Customs

  11. #401
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    17,756

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Speaking of XP-G2, whatever Don is using in the Haiku pleasantly surprised me. I have to find out what bin it is.

    I was never a big fan from the start with xp-g2 being honest, throwy little LED though(maybe because i am more biased towards flood than throw). Over time things have swapped around and now appreciate all this time on ,how good they are. De-domed it can not be beaten all this time on, granted not the highest lumen/output but still a force to be reckoned with. The 4000k in malkoffs is real nice, 5000k i have in a quad, to 6000k in a sportac triple to name some..............all great in their own way.

  12. #402

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    I find the 6000k Low CRI of the XPG2 tolerable outdoors during the day, when there is lots of ambient sunlight to add the missing reds. Most of all when working on a greasy old car motor, I care less about the color, just need the brightness.

    But before anyone gets the wrong impression, the Low CRI Cool White still sucks at showing reds, and is not my first pick at night for close range. I only tolerate cool white when I need the brightness and don't care about the green tint.

    A simple demonstration of how bad the CRI of a 6000k LED really is, can be seen by shining the 6000k light at the palm of your hand. Zombie, Dead, Pale, pathetic, come to mind.

    When it comes to showing realistic skin tones, the N219b High Cri options are FAR superior. Try it yourself. Shine a 6000k Low CRI at the palm of your hand, then do the same with a High CRI Nichia..

  13. #403
    kaichu dento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    大和/Alyeska
    Posts
    5,639

    Default Re: The Tint Snob Thread .

    Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    Shine a ... at the palm of your hand...
    This is the first thing I do with any light, then I go looking for leaves, followed by items with red or orange, and finally, look for the beam pattern and throw/flood transitions.

    Yep, palm of hand test for me too.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •