What are your Top 5 Button Top 18650 Rechargeable Batteries?

SnappyK

Newly Enlightened
Stuck in a hard place can't decide what to get!!!

I've been researching replacement 18650 batteries since it's a new year. In my profession, I used flashlight at least a minimum of 6 hours a day(on and off). I'm looking to purchase at least 12 new 18650 battery replacement. I've been using cheap 18650 batteries from ebay and this year finally want to get rid of them all and replace them with better ones. My budget would be $300 max to spend on 12 new 18650 batteries. I will be using them in flashlight ranging from 600-1200 lumens flashlight, but I would still like the higher end best 18650 there is. (It's pretty sad when you have to show customer something wrong with their car and the flashlight you're using is so dim due to battery drainage or bad battery stopping in the middle of the show) I charge my batteries everyday before I go home from work.

So far I only noted down the followings...

Orbtronic Protected 18650 3.7Volts 3400mAH 4 Batteries total = $55.91 shipped
Olight Protected 18650 3400mAh 4 Batteries total = $72.96 shipped
Nitecore Protected 18650 3500mAh 4 Batteries total = $79.95 shipped

Can I get a input on those above Brand of 18650 Pros and Cons?

Also, if there are any other ones better or near better than the three I listed above, please do share. I will be making the purchase within in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do unprotected button tops count? If so, Mountain Electronics has all of the popular 18650s available as unprotected button tops. These include such popular cells as the Sanyo NCR18650GA, Sony VTC6, LG HG2, and Samsung 30Q. They don't cost much more than the flat top versions.

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
Besides location the actual lights being used would be handy to know (would tell us if the lights actually required button tops in the first place, whether they use cells in series, have LV protection/warning, plus whether the lights require high drain cells or not).
Another useful piece of information would be what charger you are using.
The cells you have listed are re-wrapped by the sellers & have buttons & protection added so you are paying a premium for that where as the cells in their bare flat top version would be much cheaper.
For example Sanyo NCR 18650 GA 3500mah (semi button top work in series) are a high capacity pretty high drain cell that can be had for around $6 each.
Like wise Panasonic NCR 18650B 3500mah are a high capacity cell (not such high drain as the GA"s) which can be had for around $5 each.
Either cell may be perfect for your lights but knowing the lights in question would be advantageous.
For $100 dollars you could get 12 very good cells & a 4 bay analysing charger (if you do not have a good charger already).

Last edited:

SnappyK

Newly Enlightened
I am from California. My battery charger is a Nitecore Intellicharger I4. I have 3 Streamlight Flashlights, and 6 ebay flashlights that runs on 18650. My battery have been a year old and isn't running my flashlight like it used to. That is why I"m looking to purchase at least a dozen of higher end 18650. All flashlights still works, but maybe it's time for new flashlights?

They take button top 18650, disregarding the 3 Streamlight.

I dont know the names of the ebay ones or what led it uses. I just know it still works but not long. Not long as in 30mins and it charging time again.

Last edited:

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
So you already have a basic but reasonable charger :twothumbs
As at least some of your lights certainly won"t have low voltage warning or protection (I am not familiar with Streamlights so don"t know if they do or don"t) & your charger does not show cell voltage I would recommend protected cells in your case.
Sanyo NCR 18650 GA 3500mah are a top quality, high capacity & pretty high continuous amp drain cell from one of the big respected manufacturers.
They will be more than capable of handling your lights power requirements (they are 10 amp continuous 20amp pulse rated which is way way more than any of your lights will draw) & can be bought in protected button top versions.
If you want them quickly then places like Mountain Electronics, Illumination, IMR or Lion Wholesale, all in the states sell, them for under $10 a cell (Lion have them for $7.95 for example).
If you are willing to wait for the cells to arrive then the big Chinese sellers such as Banggood & Gearbest etc will have them slightly cheaper but it may take up to 6 weeks for delivery, especially with it being the Chinese holiday season now.
I don"t think that any of your lights draw big amps so the GA"s may be overkill, & other members may suggest slightly cheaper cells (again available from the same vendors) such as Panasonic NCR 18650B"s which is another good cell although suitable for slightly less amps than the GA"s, but the protected button top GA"s will certainly cover all bases for you.
BTW I can see what looks to be an Olight cell in your charger, far left (may be wrong), if it is an Olight is that cell performing badly as well as Olight re-wrap top quality cells & therefore although expensive have a very good name ?
BTW keep away from cheap strangely named ebay cells as as you have found, their performance & longevity is poor & in actual fact they can be dangerous.
Stick to respected sellers who sell genuine cells, it is cheaper & safer in the long run, & enjoy your lights.

Last edited:

SnappyK

Newly Enlightened
Much appreciated. I will take a look at those you mentioned.

And yes that is a Olight cell, around less than 6 months ago I bought a Olight S30R II at 1020 Lumens and it didn't last long. Let's just say it broken within 6 months. Broke as in, glass lens cracked. Got ran over by a truck, got dropped from a 8 feet high car lift, fell into a bucket of used radiator coolant.

I still have the flashlight, it's sitting in my toolbox at work and without a lens replacement, the led is exposed. Kept the battery and still use it til this day.

It's a new year, so I'm just going to get new flashlights name brand ones and look up some great batteries that is mentioned in this thread.

Finally paid off Snap On Tools guy, don't have to pay $300 every Monday anymore. Been doing that for the last year. Now I can put those toward flashlights.

Thanks everyone for the reply.

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
No problem.
You will get 12 of those GA"s for $95.40 (plus any delivery costs) compared to $79.95 for 4 of the Nitcore cells you listed (the Nitecore cells are good cells but you are paying a premium for the fact that Nitecore has bought a cell & put a button, protection & their own wrap on it).
Also the GA"s being one of the best high capacity & high drain cells currently available, meaning they give both good run times & can cope with lights that draw a lot of amps, they will be good for any future lights you buy that may be more demanding on the cells than your present lights.
If you want to see some of the problems (& dangers) with buying cheap ebay cells have a look at this this thread by battery guru HKJ on this forum http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?400136-Disassembly-of-some-UltraFire-batteries

Last edited: