Maxpedition AGR/2        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

Default Re: Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

Quote Originally Posted by hatman View Post
    How is the tint -- still a greenish cool white?

Does it run well on rechargeable lithium ions?
    Mine has a slight green tint to it as with all of them it seems. I was wondering. David Cho said that with the new advances in LED technology that his new lights were 85cri. His lights have the same green tint. I have been comparing his verses the MV and in my opinion I don't think they are the same but I do think the backup MV has a higher cri than some of their more recent but older lights. Its still a bit subjective.

As for if it can run a 16340 (if I remember that number correctly) someone is going to have to find out what type of circuit it has, if it is a buck or a boost. I would like to know as well. I think someone mentioned they have tried it and it worked fine but the issue is over volting the LED. If you over volt the LED it will take some time for it to burn up so the effects will not be immediate. However, someone more knowledgeable should chime in on this.
    Last edited by Flashlight Dave; 05-02-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight Dave View Post

As for if it can run a 16340 (if I remember that number correctly) someone is going to have to find out what type of circuit it has, if it is a buck or a boost. I would like to know as well. I think someone mentioned they have tried it and it worked fine but the issue is over volting the LED. If you over volt the LED it will take some time for it to burn up so the effects will not be immediate. However, someone more knowledgeable should chime in on this.
    I tested the light output of my E1B MV using a lithium primary and a 16650 li-ion battery. The output was identical so I do not believe the LED is being overdriven. If that were the case the light output should have measured higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I tested the light output of my E1B MV using a lithium primary and a 16650 li-ion battery. The output was identical so I do not believe the LED is being overdriven. If that were the case the light output should have measured higher.
    Thats good to hear. Also was wondering how does one check the light output? Lux meter?

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight Dave View Post
    Thats good to hear. Also was wondering how does one check the light output? Lux meter?
    Lux meter would work. I've always used a solar cell with a specific thickness piece of paper in front of it.

Would someone kindly post beam shots or did I miss them?!

Enlightened

IMG Test

I'll Try and post some Hi-Desert Pics tonight.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Will this run off a 3.7v li-ion?
    No issues for a month now. Emitter does not seem to be dimming or burning up.

Runtimes are about as expected, less then a primary.

Does not appear to be any brighter on a 3.7v. Lux meter cell phone app (lol) is reading about the same on both types of cells. Batteries used : Surefire Primary vs AW Li-ion 3.7v

If led fails, I'm sure surefire would replace it anyways. Especially if you told them it ran only on primaries...

Enlightened

backup max vision

eb1 200 lumen backup

sc32w (for tint reference)

I have a theory that SF has quietly made their circuitry able to support one or two RCR123 3.7V in their more recent light like this EB1MV, E1D, EB1(300 lumen), EB2, E2dL-Ultra, UM-2.

They don't "officially" state or support using them because they want max reliability and runtime for critical users(plus primaries make money), but they also want to avoid spending time and money on repairs and warranty claims because people are bound to put 3.7V cells into these lights one way or another.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Flashaholic*

@RobertMM, I also guess that Surefire went this way. The point I do not understand is why do they not officially say the lights support one or two 3.7V cells.

They could also sell 1640 and 16650 or 16670 cells and a good charger. I'm pretty surefe there are a lot People that would be happy if they would get light, cells, and charger from one Company.

At least SF hat a few years ago K2 Energy LFP cells. This cells are IMO the best available LFP cells...
    Looking for Orange Surefire G2 Host. If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    I have a theory that SF has quietly made their circuitry able to support one or two RCR123 3.7V in their more recent light like this EB1MV, E1D, EB1(300 lumen), EB2, E2dL-Ultra
    I burned an e2d ultra up by trying to run 2 rcr123s for more then a few seconds. I wouldn't recommend trying again.

3v is not too far off 4.2v
    6v is pretty far from 8.4v

The voltage gap was too great for the ultra to handle.

I have a theory that SF has quietly made their circuitry able to support one or two RCR123 3.7V in their more recent light like this EB1MV, E1D, EB1(300 lumen), EB2, E2dL-Ultra, UM-2.
    I've got the 200 lumen EB1, the EB2 and the UM-2 and I agree, it seems that they all do fine with the 3.7 volt rechargeables. Earlier SureFires would not work well with the higher voltage cells in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SwellGuy View Post
    I burned an e2d ultra up by trying to run 2 rcr123s for more then a few seconds. I wouldn't recommend trying again.

3v is not too far off 4.2v
    6v is pretty far from 8.4v

The voltage gap was too great for the ultra to handle.
    That's strange, maybe an early production unit?

Grizman here has extensively used two AW 16340 in his, some for runtime tests that start with full cells and end in depletion, lasting 49 or so minutes on high.
    He also detected no changes in performance/heat.

Maybe the E1B-MV is like so.
    I'll happily buy some more Fenix 16340 for it if I get one.

I tracked one down locally.

Loved the size / weight / annodizing and the beam appeared more "neutral" than the "greenish" E1D.

Im a throw fan but the flood levels seemed useful in different enviorments. Unfortunately this specific EB1MV had pre flash......

I got the E1D....

EDIT:

THANKS Swell Guy!
    Last edited by High_Beams; 05-17-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocco View Post
    What does everyone think about the new E1B MV? Looks like it's actually coming out now that it's in the 2017 catalog.

It's also listed in their new lifestyles page:
    http://www.surefire.com/lifestyle-ces

E1B
    Maybe too large for me.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by High_Beams View Post
    I tracked one down locally.

Unfortunately this specific EB1MV had pre flash......

I got the E1D....

EDIT:

THANKS Swell Guy!
    Sorry, I'm a noob. What's pre flash?

Enlightened

That's strange, maybe an early production unit?

Grizman here has extensively used two AW 16340 in his, some for runtime tests that start with full cells and end in depletion, lasting 49 or so minutes on high.
    He also detected no changes in performance/heat.

Maybe the E1B-MV is like so.
    I'll happily buy some more Fenix 16340 for it if I get one.
    I run the e1bmv with aw 16340s. It loves them.

My e2d ultra led became less bright. The led got weaker over maybe 3 battery recharges. Even after swapping back to primaries the led had been damaged. It never put back put 500lum.

I sent it back to surefire claiming my 200 lumen single cell surefire was brighter then my 500 lumen 2 cell surefire (Because it was after damage) lied and said I ran it only on primaries

I think your probably right about it being an earlier e2d ultra head, and my replacement will probably be just fine. Just a bit scared to try again.

Thanks for the info!

I sent it back to surefire claiming my 200 lumen single cell surefire was brighter then my 500 lumen 2 cell surefire (Because it was after damage) lied and said I ran it only on primaries
    That's definitely not cool, using unsupported batteries, killing a light and then expecting the manufacturer to fix it after lying to them.
    You should have manned-up and eaten the cost yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
    That's definitely not cool, using unsupported batteries, killing a light and then expecting the manufacturer to fix it after lying to them.
    You should have manned-up and eaten the cost yourself.
    To be fair, these surefires certainly cost us a lot more than it does them. I imagine they can fit said replacement in their margins. They would have just sent a new one no matter how it became damaged.

If they find out, people who have claims might have a harder time getting support.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Mattj96 View Post
    To be fair, these surefires certainly cost us a lot more than it does them. I imagine they can fit said replacement in their margins. They would have just sent a new one no matter how it became damaged.
    Thanks Matt. Was providing information and facts to the community about a particular light.

Wasn't looking for a bleeding heart liberal, lefty vegan flame.

Good day, hope my information was helpful to those seeking it.

I run the e1bmv with aw 16340s. It loves them.

My e2d ultra led became less bright. The led got weaker over maybe 3 battery recharges. Even after swapping back to primaries the led had been damaged. It never put back put 500lum.

I think your probably right about it being an earlier e2d ultra head, and my replacement will probably be just fine. Just a bit scared to try again.

Thanks for the info!
    Saving for posterity. This is VERY uncool! - and FYI... Surefire has A LOT of people who are members here and read these posts regularly. If the thread title has the word "Surefire" in it, you can bet Surefire has read it. Not cool man... not cool...

Yep, like I said, people who may truly need customer service because of actual flaws/lemon/factory defects may find it harder to obtain support, because SF may find out what may be to them, abuse of their customer services.

Remember the Rapid Parts Replacement Service?
    Yes, it may have had to do with cost cutting but it we can't blame them for discontinuing that service, with lots of sealed parts turning up on fleabay.

Sorry to the OP, hope this thread doesn't get locked.

Enlightened

Yep, like I said, people who may truly need customer service because of actual flaws/lemon/factory defects may find it harder to obtain support, because SF may find out what may be to them, abuse of their customer services.

Remember the Rapid Parts Replacement Service?
    Yes, it may have had to do with cost cutting but it we can't blame them for discontinuing that service, with lots of sealed parts turning up on fleabay.

Sorry to the OP, hope this thread doesn't get locked.
    Probably shouldn't have broke in first place.

People have done extensive reviews already and say it works fine.

Probably shouldn't have broke in first place....
    How about let's move on, here.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Yep. Anybody who already fried theirs with a 16340?

I'm having reservations about the floody 5 lumen low.
    On my E1D, I can use low as a "general" mode, even outdoors to an extent. The TIR allows me to get away with just 5 lumens(it honestly seems higher than that). That's also why I am still fond of my stock LX2.

I'm thinking that with the floody E1BMV low, I won't have as much reach and will be forced to use high mode much more.

Flashaholic

Just received my E1B MV! Love the beam pattern! I was apprehensive about the low only being 5 lumens but after using the light I think it's perfect. Tint on mine is white with a hint of yellow on high in the center. Very pleased overall with the beam/output/build quality of this light. I'm also happy the mode change time interval is 1 second instead of 2 seconds like the original E1B.

I've noticed that the spring makes noise when you unscrew the head, has anyone else experienced this?

Yep. Anybody who already fried theirs with a 16340?

I'm having reservations about the floody 5 lumen low.
    On my E1D, I can use low as a "general" mode, even outdoors to an extent. The TIR allows me to get away with just 5 lumens(it honestly seems higher than that). That's also why I am still fond of my stock LX2.

I'm thinking that with the floody E1BMV low, I won't have as much reach and will be forced to use high mode much more.
    According to Surefire's FAQ -- LFP 123A rechargeables is an authorized solution. But where to get them is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    According to Surefire's FAQ -- LFP 123A rechargeables is an authorized solution. But where to get them is another story.
    Ebay still has K2 Energy 16340s, some in kits with bundled chargers.

That E1B-MV is teasing me, but damn that price tag...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast