Fitorch        
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    Hmmm... Brownish? Still cannot understand the tint. What įK is it?
    Yes -- good question.
    Surefire does not include that in its specs.
    I asked a friendly Surefire rep and he couldn't or wouldn't say.
    Oveready Boss 35 & 70; LensLight Mini; HDS Rotary 325 XP-L, Clicky 170W; ZebraLight SC 600 MK III HI, SC600W, SC62W, SC60W, SC52W, SC51C, SC5W; EagleTac NW D25LC2 Tactical, NW D25LC2, NW D25A, DX30LC2 Clicky; Fenix PD35; Nitecore D10R2 and D10R2 (Tribute); Elzetta Alpha

Did a runtime test today hope this is useful!
    Fenix 16340 700mah vs sf 123. Fenix held 100% regulation for 30mins untill protection cutoff at 3.4v. Sf 123 fell out of regulation with in the first few mins and flickered really bad starting around 54% untill i terminated at 18%

Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

I'm glad I opted for the G2Z MV. An hour and forty minutes on a 16650 is more than enough for my needs.

Really? Is that at full brightness do you know? Was thinking of one of those

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marin View Post
    Fenix 16340 700mah vs sf 123. Fenix held 100% regulation for 30mins untill protection cutoff at 3.4v. Sf 123 fell out of regulation with in the first few mins and flickered really bad starting around 54% untill i terminated at 18%

You are Johnny on the Spot with these run time graphs. May I ask what equipment you use?
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Just a cheap dr meter lx1330b and a little fan. Would love to learn about some more sophisticated equipment some day but this works for now.

Just a cheap dr meter lx1330b and a little fan. Would love to learn about some more sophisticated equipment some day but this works for now.
    This meter + fan+ stopwatch +graph paper = CPF magic.

Thank you.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Really? Is that at full brightness do you know? Was thinking of one of those
    I'm not really too sure of the output but its plenty bright. Could be 60-70%.

Oops! Sorry, wrong thread.
    Last edited by vadimax; 10-23-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Received one of these today as a replacement for my E1L I sent on for repair. Haven't opened the package yet not quite decided on keeping it yet. As I picked up the Outdoorsman for run times. I edc a Fury when I need brightness
    SF 6P/G2/E2e/E2d/E2DL/E1e/L2/A2-PP(R)/A2(G)/L1(R)/L1(G)/M95/KL4(x2)/KL4(Blk)
    Gladius,Inova X5(R),Microlight(G)
    Costco/HF HID

Nice graph! I like the way you did it by hand. Thinking about picking one of these up because of the compact size but not sold on it just yet.

Flashaholic

Buttrock Re: Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Received one of these today as a replacement for my E1L I sent on for repair. Haven't opened the package yet not quite decided on keeping it yet. As I picked up the Outdoorsman for run times. I edc a Fury when I need brightness
    I have an E1L-A for you
    Surefire backup, Beretta, Microtech, fanboy.
    Current EDC-Copper Toolvn-E1D-SF Titan A with clicky.

Sorta bringing this one back from the dead but can anyone tell me why they are on sale for $149? Was there a problem? Seems low compared to the rest of the pack.

All the new SF lights coming out right now are priced lower than usual. Seem like they are becoming more competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by A-MAC View Post
    Sorta bringing this one back from the dead but can anyone tell me why they are on sale for $149? Was there a problem? Seems low compared to the rest of the pack.
    Check Surefireís website.

Default Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

Heh I went from never even glancing at Surefire to owning one! Got a surprise gift from my father in law:

Very interesting little light. Hereís some of my thoughts (as a none surefire guy)

UI and brightness levels are purpose made. Iím fine with that, even though I donít really carry a light for their purpose. Tint isnít bad. Cool white, hint off yellow/green corona but only on a white wall.

Beamshape is great! The MaxVision thing is what theyíre calling a faceted reflector but it only has horizontal facets, almost like steps:

Results in a unique beam pattern, unlike optics, reflector or mules. It has a traditional hotspot but with a very bright spill. Extremely functional for EDC and up close work while retaining a bit of throw

E1B MV:

Compared to a standard reflector:

Or a triple optic:

Great beam, love it!

Build quality of the head feels very sturdy. Itís a wide head with a smaller reflector

so itís a bit wasted space but I guess all that space is potting or just thick walls? Feels very sturdy.

Has an interesting + spring design with a plastic battery bumper

Threads for the head are a bit shorter than Iíd like

But I think this is due to the light being designed to have the battery replaced from the head only. You can unscrew the tail but you cannot insert a battery there.

Tail threads are longer and as you can see, unanodized

Yet through a neat design inside the tailcap thereís a mechanical lockout by unscrewing tailcap half a turn. I really like that design.

You can also see above it has a two way clip, securely attached but I donít believe it to be removable.

Threading doesít feel as smooth as something like a McGizmo
    or HDS but it does the job well.

Overall itís a neat little light. I got it as a gift and Iím glad, itís not something I wouldíve purchased so itís nice to have a chance to experience it. It does its job well.

Due to all the crap Surefire gets for being overpriced, I purposefully played with one and wrote this little write up BEFORE looking up the price. If asked what I thought it cost I wouldíve said itís a good buy at $80, MSRP around $120. Seeing what it really costs makes sense. It isnít as disgustingly overpriced as some would have you believe and if someone with $149 and the appropriate use case asked me what to buy, Iíd have no trouble recommending this.
    Last edited by Ozythemandias; 12-11-2017 at 06:12 AM.
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlightís potential, not sure where it got itís popularity. - DB Customs

Nice one Ozzy.
    It's good to read an unbiased (either way) Surefire review.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 12-11-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks for the review, the beam shape looks similar to my zebralight floody headlamp. Very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Due to all the crap Surefire gets for being overpriced, I purposefully played with one and wrote this little write up BEFORE looking up the price. If asked what I thought it cost I wouldíve said itís a good buy at $80, MSRP around $120. Seeing what it really costs makes sense. It isnít as disgustingly overpriced as some would have you believe and if someone with $149 and the appropriate use case asked me what to buy, Iíd have no trouble recommending this.
    I just got an E1B MV from SF for a little over $100 delivered using a commonly available podcast coupon. The packaging is 'designed to prevent inventory shrinkage in urban retail venues' and hard to open without risking self-mutilation.

Nice light, beautiful flood beam with excellent tint compared to a couple of EB1's, an EB2 and two UM2's on the desk. There is a hotspot in the center of the beam which is nicely balanced with the bright corona.

As others have reported it seems to run just fine on an RCR123A.

It's great to have the knurling back on the small SureFire lights. The EB1's and EB2's are slippery in my butterfingers.

I've given the original E1B's as gifts in the past. Even if I put spare batteries in the gift wrap I find the gifted light in a drawer a year or two later since CR123A's are not commonly available for a reasonable price like AA's.

Flashaholic

It's more a flood beam that a thrower, not for me!

The MaxVision was made to be more of a flooder. There are many throwers from Surefire including the E1B with a TIR.

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    The MaxVision was made to be more of a flooder. There are many throwers from Surefire including the E1B with a TIR.
    The EB1 is also a very good single cell thrower. It is superseded on SureFire's product lineup by the EDCL1-T which apparently will ship Real Soon Now.

I was sure that I had a Z68 tailcap for the E1B MV somewhere so I went rummaging through drawers. Couldn't find the Z68 but I did find the similar un-numbered scalloped tailcap from an E1D that I bought in SF's incandescent clearance fire sale years ago.

The E1D tailcap has a slightly different HA finish but otherwise looks and works great on the E1B MV. It makes the small light easier for me to hold and operate. It also allows the light to tail stand, something I find quite useful in a single cell flood beam light.

About the only thing I don't like about the performance of this light on RCR123A's is that it suddenly goes dark without warning when the battery runs down. No flickering or step down to low mode. Jose Marin's chart posted above is consistent with my experience. However, I get significantly less than 30 minutes on high with the same Fenix battery. An older AW RCR123A lasts only a couple of minutes on high due to the current load but will reset and run for a while longer after cycling the power. I need to find an IMR 16340 and see how that cell does under the high load. Oh wait, I just realized that I have a 4Sevens Mini Mk II in my pocket with an AW IMR, I'll give that cell a try.

Well, I just ran the AW IMR for a while. It seems to have a good run time and gives plenty of warning with flickering before it finally goes dark. I kinda wish the E1B MV would step down to low mode as the battery discharges like the original E1B and many other lights. Suddenly going dark could be a problem when doing things like going down steps or stairs.

Jose's chart seems to indicate that the regular CR123A batteries can't keep up with the current load on the E1B MV. We discussed a similar situation here with the initial release of the EB1 years ago.

Speaking of low mode, the 5 lumens does indeed seem to be brighter than advertised and is plenty for nocturnal ambulation with dark adapted eyes in my opinion. Still, I would like to have a medium power mode that would give a couple of hours of battery life at, say, 100 lumens.

As others have observed, the small aperture and beefy head of the E1B MV is reminiscent of some of the Malkoff LED heads.

Am I reading the chart correctly -- about 25 mins. of constant use on high for CR123 primaries?

And would anyone say the tint leans towards the neutral or warmer side of things?

Ugh, every time I open this thread, as much as I try to distract myself, I start thinking about placing an order. There's just something about the single-cell form factor SF lights in black anodize.

This floody beam might be good for "dog walking". At least, that's my excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    This floody beam might be good for "dog walking". At least, that's my excuse.
    Well actually this is a good light for dog walking out in the country where I live. Low level is plenty to walk down dark roads with no streetlights.

And, for that occasional car or truck, click up to high to put a bright spot on the ground to let them know you are there.

From another thread on this LED Flashlights sub-forum:

Quote Originally Posted by JJRG View Post
    FWIW, there's a 30% off code that you can pretty much use whenever that gets broadcast on Ballistic Radio each week.

The code worked fine for me a few days ago when ordering several lights directly from SureFire.

I like this thread.

Can't say "max vision" is for me, but after the new year it may be on my 018 want list due to the excellent statements others have made.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamatis in Deserto View Post
    The EB1 is also a very good single cell thrower.
    Thrower? looks more like a flood light to me, please correct me if Iīm wrong, looking forward to get one...

... ...
    my lights.

Quote Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
    Thrower? looks more like a flood light to me, please correct me if Iīm wrong, looking forward to get one...
    He meant the first (12,000 cd, 200 lumens) and second (9,000 cd, 300 lumens) versions of the EB1, not the EB1-MV.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    He meant the first (12,000 cd, 200 lumens) and second (9,000 cd, 300 lumens) versions of the EB1, not the EB1-MV.
    Just to confuse things, the E1B and EB1 are two different lights with several variants.

The EB1's are great little spotlights. RobertMM meant to say not the E1B-MV.

I say buy 'em all!

I don't seem to understand the graph. What I mean is my E1B Max Vision would run "seemingly" bright and then just shut off to the low setting and thats with primaries. I don't expect super great regulation from 3v primaries but I have a guess that its a little better than what the graph shows. Mine does not run all the way down but would have a very noticeable drop in output at some point around say 30 min or so.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast