The Fenix-Store        
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

Default Re: Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight Dave View Post
    I don't seem to understand the graph. What I mean is my E1B Max Vision would run "seemingly" bright and then just shut off to the low setting and thats with primaries. I don't expect super great regulation from 3v primaries but I have a guess that its a little better than what the graph shows. Mine does not run all the way down but would have a very noticeable drop in output at some point around say 30 min or so.
    How are you measuring the output ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

The test was done from charged to discharged without turning it off. I think if you were to turn off and on like how you would normally, the cr123 would have a chance to recover to full brightness but then sag back down slowly when turned back on which would be hard to notice by the eye
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    How are you measuring the output ?
    I am measuring with my eyes. There is a very noticeable drop in output from quite bright to the low setting. My point is that there does not seem to be a gradual drop off as shown in the graph. At some point it should fall like a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marin View Post
    The test was done from charged to discharged without turning it off. I think if you were to turn off and on like how you would normally, the cr123 would have a chance to recover to full brightness but then sag back down slowly when turned back on which would be hard to notice by the eye
    That might be the case. At least it makes sense. Then the light would perform much better for short periods of time than left on all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight Dave View Post
    I am measuring with my eyes. There is a very noticeable drop in output from quite bright to the low setting. My point is that there does not seem to be a gradual drop off as shown in the graph. At some point it should fall like a rock.
    As an example, HDS "burst mode" lowers output ~ 33% after ~ 40 seconds, and unless watching very closely for the step-down, it is easy to miss noticing that drop off.
    ... is the archimedes peak

This light is intriguing to me since it seems almost tailor made to run on 16340s, and incidentally just happens to run on CR123s in a pinch.

The fact that it has an abrupt cutoff is a little discouraging, but probably no problem for the majority of us who likely have more than one light available.

Has anybody already run several sets of 16340s without issue in the E1B MV? Does it indeed seem safe to do so?
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Ive been running nothing but 16340 in my e1bmv. The only time i ran a 123 was for my runtime graph
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    Has anybody already run several sets of 16340s without issue in the E1B MV? Does it indeed seem safe to do so?
    I've been using rechargeables in the light for the past few weeks with good results. The regular 16340's go dark pretty fast from the high current demand unless they are fairly new. I've had better luck with Olight and 4Seven's IMR's:

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamatis in Deserto View Post
    About the only thing I don't like about the performance of this light on RCR123A's is that it suddenly goes dark without warning when the battery runs down. No flickering or step down to low mode. Jose Marin's chart posted above is consistent with my experience. However, I get significantly less than 30 minutes on high with the same Fenix battery. An older AW RCR123A lasts only a couple of minutes on high due to the current load but will reset and run for a while longer after cycling the power. I need to find an IMR 16340 and see how that cell does under the high load. Oh wait, I just realized that I have a 4Sevens Mini Mk II in my pocket with an AW IMR, I'll give that cell a try.

Well, I just ran the AW IMR for a while. It seems to have a good run time and gives plenty of warning with flickering before it finally goes dark. I kinda wish the E1B MV would step down to low mode as the battery discharges like the original E1B and many other lights. Suddenly going dark could be a problem when doing things like going down steps or stairs.

Jose's chart seems to indicate that the regular CR123A batteries can't keep up with the current load on the E1B MV. We discussed a similar situation here with the initial release of the EB1 years ago.

I've had better luck with Olight and 4Seven's IMR's:
    Thanks for the tip. I received mine today along with two IMRs that I ordered just for the occasion.

For the oldtimers out there, this E1B MV is nearly a perfect modern rendition of the original "Wall of Light" KL4 + E1e when you won the Vf lottery. Or sometimes called the TW4.

What's old is certainly new again... check out this post from an old friend back in 2005!
    Quote Originally Posted by JanCPF View Post
    elgarak,

It makes great sense to put a KL4 head on an E1e body if you use a R123 recargeable Li-Ion as Sean said. It will run in full regulation for about 25-30 min. Add a McE2S two stage tail cap, and you'll also have a low mode for longer (however unregulated) runtime.

Jan
    Last edited by carrot; 02-05-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Default Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

TW4! I remember those days

Thanks for the tip. I received mine today along with two IMRs that I ordered just for the occasion.
    And after some more time running IMR batteries in the E1B-MV, it seems that the old AW IMR's have no internal low voltage cutoff and thus gives the flickering I reported above as the voltage drops below the requirements of this current thirsty single cell light.

On the other hand, the 4Sevens and Olight IMR's seem to have an internal low voltage cutoff at about 3.3 volts where the light suddenly goes dark and will not come back on, even in low, until the battery is recharged.

Anybody else running rechargeables in these new SF lights (EB1-MV, EDCL1-T, EDCL2-T, Tactician)?

And after some more time running IMR batteries in the E1B-MV, it seems that the old AW IMR's have no internal low voltage cutoff and thus gives the flickering I reported above as the voltage drops below the requirements of this current thirsty single cell light.

On the other hand, the 4Sevens and Olight IMR's seem to have an internal low voltage cutoff at about 3.3 volts where the light suddenly goes dark and will not come back on, even in low, until the battery is recharged.

Anybody else running rechargeables in these new SF lights (EB1-MV, EDCL1-T, EDCL2-T, Tactician)?
    In my experience protection “relaxes” when a battery disconnects from the load. Enough to unscrew a tail cap to break contact entirely. After that a light may be used at lower modes.

For the oldtimers out there, this E1B MV is nearly a perfect modern rendition of the original "Wall of Light" KL4 + E1e when you won the Vf lottery. Or sometimes called the TW4.

What's old is certainly new again... check out this post from an old friend back in 2005!

Mine even live on the same shelf together

SF 6P/G2/E2e/E2d/E2DL/E1e/L2/A2-PP(R)/A2(G)/L1(R)/L1(G)/M95/KL4(x2)/KL4(Blk)
    Gladius,Inova X5(R),Microlight(G)
    Costco/HF HID

Flashaholic*

Surefire, don't miss the party again. Get a look at the latest 18350 cells. How about some love for them?

Quote Originally Posted by StandardBattery View Post
    Surefire, don't miss the party again. Get a look at the latest 18350 cells. How about some love for them?
    As with the E2e's bored out for 18650, the 18mm cells just don't work well for these bodies. The body walls get too thin at the head threads for this to be a viable product.

I was using my E1B-MV with the "requisite" high drain rechargeables (Olight 5C 16340) and I guess I must have hit my 30 minutes of runtime because the light abruptly shut off! I shouldn't have been surprised because everybody else here has already mentioned this behavior with the Olight 16340's low voltage cutoff, but with no warning it was a rude awakening.

I have been really enjoying this light, but this is the first time since incandescent days that I've felt I needed to carry a backup battery or a backup flashlight!

I'd be very interested to know if there are other IMRs currently available on the market that have a less drastic low voltage cutoff. Anybody have recommendations?

I thought IMRs didn’t have cut offs

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Bronc6901 View Post
    I thought IMRs didn’t have cut offs
    The Olight ones he is using use a protection circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    The Olight ones he is using use a protection circuit.
    I see. Wouldn’t a none protected cell allow the light to start to dim? My aw imrs do.

Flashaholic*

I see. Wouldn’t a none protected cell allow the light to start to dim? My aw imrs do.
    Possibly as long as the driver doesn't suddenly cut out when it isn't supplied enough voltage. But, you would still have to be careful to not over discharge the cell.

I've got some old orange label AW IMR 16340's that I bought at least five years ago. I tried one in the E1B-MV and as I reported above, the light did flicker and give warning that the battery was about to die.

However, I don't think these AW cells are still made, at least not with the AW brand. There are some AW 18350 IMR's on Ebay but as discussed, they don't fit the E1B-MV. There is a report that AW will no longer be selling batteries, not sure if this is correct.

Looking around online for some 16340 IMR's I see a lot of brands that I don't recognize (many seem to end in 'fire' ).

Let's all hope someone gives the IMR 16340 format some needed attention, like they did the ICR Fenix and Klarus cells(above 700mAh on 1A discharge) and the 18350 Keeppower and Aspire cells.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    Let's all hope someone gives the IMR 16340 format some needed attention, like they did the ICR Fenix and Klarus cells(above 700mAh on 1A discharge) and the 18350 Keeppower and Aspire cells.
    I guess this could be a good option: https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/1450...wer-16340.html

Quote Originally Posted by jkevind11 View Post
    I saw those but something about that flame on the logo...

I ordered some Exell EBLI-16340HP6BT's. They only claim 600 mAh, I'll see how they do and report back here.
    Last edited by Vox Clamatis in Deserto; 02-13-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Flashaholic*

I saw those but something about that flame on the logo...

I ordered some Exell EBLI-16340HP6BT's. They only claim 600 mAh, I'll see how they do and report back here.
    They are quality cells, most Efest are.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...red)%20UK.html

I like AWT or Efest IMR batteries now that AW us not currently operating.
    Click Here to view my lights

I just ran another test on high with the orange label AW IMR 16340. The light finally started flickering so I popped the cell on the Nitecore D4 charger.

The initial battery voltage on the charger was 2.71 volts. Within seconds, the indicated voltage rose above three volts. The battery seems to be charging normally at 750 mA and is not warm to the touch.

Although the voltage sounds low enough to damage a conventional RCR123A, it may be fine for the IMR.

One online vape battery vendor lists these specs for the AW IMR 16340:

IMR16340 Specifications :

Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
    Capacity : 550mAh
    Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
    Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 0.6A ) [so maybe 750 mA is not a good idea? - Vox]
    Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
    Max. continuous discharge rate : 8A
    Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius
    Last edited by Vox Clamatis in Deserto; 02-16-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Exactly how much current does the E1B-MV pull on high mode?
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    Exactly how much current does the E1B-MV pull on high mode?
    With a mostly fresh 5C 16340 cell, I measured 1.3A on high and a hair under 31mA on low.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast