PFlexpro lights and drop ins

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Hi all, I just stumbled across these lights and didn't know they existed until now. I don't really see a ton of information out there on them. Does anyone have any experience with these? How do you like them? From what I have read, it sounds like they could be pretty good. How is their durability? It seems like they work well as weapon lights also. How do they compare to the well known quality brands here like Surefire, Malkoff, HDS, Elzetta, and Zebralight?

ven

Flashaholic
Dont own but read enough and seen enough to have recommended them in the past. They make some real nice p60's and good value. Just not sure on delivery to UK(reason i have not got one).

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
They're fantastic. I've bought five over the last year, and haven't touched any other brands since. Mine see daily use and I haven't had any problems. I've given two to friends, and they've performed perfectly as well. I certainly trust them as much as my Zebralights, and they're much more flexible. I love the programmable AP driver - on each light I have one mode group set up for outside use (med - low - high - bicycle strobe - low beacon) and one for indoor use (moonlight - low - medium - moonlight beacon).

Randy at PflexPRo is a great guy to work with, and his customer service and attention to detail are unrivaled in my experience. I can't recommend them highly enough.

nervouswreckdiver

Newly Enlightened
+1
I,ve bought 3 this year also, great build quality,fully potted, fully programable and zero problems with great performance. Also found Randy extremely easy to work with.

cp2315

Enlightened
I have two customized p60 drop ins from randy in two SF 6P. They both gave me unparalleled experience.
Highly recommended.
If money allows, I suggest you grab one of those colored 6Ps. They are really nice

Croquette

Enlightened
I have a custom drop in from Randy. It's a 3.8 amp xp-l hi 4k with hybrid reflector. It's rated for 22k cd but it have 3 times the cd of my sc600mk2 so probably 30kcd.

Great stuff and great packaging.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
So it sounds like I can't go wrong either way with one of these lights. I was originally thinking of getting a Malkoff MD2 with the high low ring, but these Pflexpro lights sound like they have many more mode options and brighter options. I'm leaning towards the Solarforce L2P host or the Convoy M1 or maybe the S2. I am unsure of exactly how the mode switching would work. Would I want a forward or reverse clicky? How does the mode switching work with each? Do they take 2 x CR123s also, or just 18650?

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
If you don't need it for an active war zone, then I'd go with PFlexPRo over Malkoff, if you value flexibility and options.

The mode switching takes a little adjustment if you're used to lights with secondary mode switches. With forward clicky, from off, you do half-presses until you get what you want. With reverse-clicky, you turn it all the way on, then do half-presses until you get what you want. The reverse-clicky is easier to change modes, but you obviously don't get the momentary capability. It took me about 2 days to get used to the forward-clicky, and now it's second nature.

One advantage to the Solarforce hosts is that it's easy to change the switch internals yourself. (It may be just as easy on the Convoys, but I don't have any personal experience.) If you ask nicely, Randy will probably send you a second set of modified switch internals and you can install whichever one you end up preferring.

The downside of the L2P/P60 format - and the only one, in my opinion - is that they're inherently inferior at dissipating heat. But PFlexPro does a great copper wrap, and with the thermal control you shouldn't have any issues. Mine all seem to shed heat quite nicely into the body. The L2P feels great in the hand, and there are lots of accessories available. Be warned, though, that many of the accessory tailcaps use different switch sizes, so you need to buy the tailcap you want from the get-go.

Randy's drivers max out at 4.2v, so there's no 2xCR123 option, sorry. You'll want a good 18650 - I use Orbtronic 3500 protected cells rated for 10A draw.

Spring for the microtextured lens. And I prefer the hybrid reflector - it's a great beam.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Kudzu, Thanks for the perspective. To elaborate: Forward clicky lights can be turned on to first mode by a complete press-release, then full press-release(s) to advance modes, or repeated half presses then a full press and release to get to the desired mode.

Can you tell us just how much throw is lost with the microtectured lens and/or hybrid reflector, compared with smooth reflector and AR coated clear lens? I'm talking with your eye or instrument if you have one.

Last edited:

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a pflexpro drop-in, based on good reviews here, and good specs on their website. I went with the 3.8 amp XPL Hi 4300k, OP reflector. I almost went for the hybrid reflector, but I wasn't sure how it would look in my host, and because I like a smooth, balanced beam, with decent spill. I'm sure it will still throw plenty far.

Last edited:

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info. So I want to be able to use it for tactical purposes but also for everyday uses. I want a good smooth beam with a good balance of spill and throw. Maybe I would lean towards the hybrid or OP reflector? Does anyone know around how far each would throw?

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Randy at PFlexpro is a very meticulous builder and seller, have one of his drop-ins and it's impressive.

Took me a minute to figure out mode options..
but once I did, just left it there & enjoyed the good Low & crazyhuge High:thumbsup:

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
I have one of his XP-L P60 drop ins in a 6P and I've been very happy with it. Using the provided copper strip and Randy's installation technique I was able to get a very snug perfect fit in the host.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Hey Kudzu, Thanks for the perspective. To elaborate: Forward clicky lights can be turned on to first mode by a complete press-release, then either half presses or full press-release(s) to advance modes.

Can you tell us just how much throw is lost with the microtectured lens and/or hybrid reflector, compared with smooth reflector and AR coated clear lens? I'm talking with your eye or instrument if you have one.

Not on this forward clicky - there's no half-press to advance modes when the light is on. You have to fully click off, then back on to advance.

I can't really comment on the throw issue. I bought these lights to have smooth, floody beams. I've never noticed a great deal of difference in their throw between reflector types, but all my emitters are different so I can't make scientific comparisons. On high mode, I can send a lot of light all the way down a city block, or halfway across a modest park, and that's plenty far enough for me. That's entirely subjective, but the best I can do.

The website says this about the microtextured lens:

This lens will improve the beam quality when combined with any reflector. It has the greatest impact when combined with a smooth or smooth hybrid reflector. Used with these reflectors, there will be a reduction in throw of about 2%, so if you're looking for the smoothest, artifact free beam while still maintaining throw... this combination is perfect. When used with a smooth or smooth hybrid reflector, the beam quality is better than an orange peel reflector. If you're not looking for throw, but want the absolute smoothest beam pattern, combine the Micro-Textured lens with an orange peel reflector... this combination will have a 12% reduction in throw compared to a smooth reflector with a plain lens.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was mistaken about forward clicky use and edited it to explain that another method of changing modes on a forward clicky is to do full press/releases. Please accept apologies.

Thanks also for the description from their website.

Sure wish a member or members could speak more about his latest programmable option and the mechanism of his reset with no last-mode memory.

Last edited:

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Okay so I was browsing the PFlex website and specifically this particular light:
http://www.pflexpro.com/Nichia-219-Flashlight-p/pfp-s2plus-1.5a-rc.htm

I have two questions...

1) What's going to be the actual performance difference between the Stock Lens, AR Lens, and MT-AR Lens options?

2) Under the Technical Specs section where it says constant current, does that mean No-PWM?

Website says:
Lens: Stock -plain glass lens from Solarforce. The AR lens will increase out by about 6%.
The Micro Textured lens will also increase output by about 6% and remove artifacts from the beam...it decreases throw by only 2%.
The Micro Textured lens works well with any reflector, but the smooth reflector benefits the most.
The Micro Textured lens combined with the smooth hybrid reflector gives better beam quality than a orange peel reflector alone, and the MT/SMH combo will give you more throw than the orange peel reflector.

"Constant current" refers to the fact that it's voltage-regulated. The lights all have PWM, but it's very good PWM and I've never been able to notice it.

Sure wish a member or members could speak more about his latest programmable option and the mechanism of his reset with no last-mode memory.

What do you want to know? I'll do my best.

The memory modes on the AP driver work like this. The first two are normal memory and no-memory. This is the best way I can explain it. In a 5-mode group …
No memory: starts in 1/5, advances to 2/5. From 3/5, turn off and the light will start back in 1/5.
Memory: starts where you left it. From 4/5, turn off and the light will start in 4/5. Advances from 4/5 to 5/5 then 1/5.
Hybrid: starts where you left it but advancing a mode restarts from the beginning. From 4/5, turn off and the light will start in 4/5. Advances from 4/5 to 1/5, then 2/5, 3/5 etc.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic information. Having looked at the PFlexPro website about a month ago, you distilled important factors that I did not pick up.

Regarding reset: Do you have a sense of how long before no-last-mode memory will reset to first mode after switching? Are we talking 2 seconds?

In the old days, there were flashlights with pulse width modulation that were all but unusable during snowfall or rainstorms. I'm sure the PWM on these dropins are not evident, and that only the super sensitive and those prone to suggestion will be distracted by it.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Looks like it will start at the beginning after ~0.5 seconds of off time, the same as the normal off-time memory. Had to dig out the manual because I don't use it. So the amount of time the light is on in a given mode doesn't matter, it's the amount of off-time that controls whether it advances or resets. I may be misinterpreting that.

Randy calls that "short-cycle memory" in the paperwork, by the way.

On the AP driver lights, levels 16, 22 and 24 (direct drive) don't use PWM, so they're more efficient. Level 16 is a nice 'mid' mode and my most-used. On this XML2 U3-3D graph, which was the first one I came to, it's rated at 254 lumens. (My direct drive came measured at 1404, after 30 seconds, using a Samsung INR 30Q.)