LiFePO4 Protection

ko4nrbs

Newly Enlightened
Do LiFePO4 batteries require a Protection PCB as do the Lithium Ion batteries?
Bill

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
No batteries require a protection circuit. But LiFePO4 is almost never sold in protected form as single cells. On the other hand, multi-cell LiFePO4 packs generally have some sort of battery management circuitry.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
As stormin Matt mentioned no cells need protection. With lifepo4 it's more unnecessary than with your 3.6/3.7V nominal cells. Lifepo4 is a very safe chemistry along the lines of NIMH. Even though they are a lithium ion chemistry they're still less energy dense than NIMH but offer ~2.5x the voltage and in the case of a123 nano phosphate chemistry much higher power density(can handle lots of current draw). They're never offered with protection PCBs because there's no real risk in overcharging or over discharging. They won't vent with flame or even be damaged really from either situation. Unfortunately their problems are low mah for size and besides a123 systems cells they're all manufactured in China and of dubious quality

snakyjake

Enlightened
No. They use a safe(r) chemistry and do not explode.
Also, your light won't cut-out on you.
I only use LFP batteries, and I'm very satisfied with their runtime, and knowing I'm not risking blowing my brains when wearing a headlamp, or risking my children or other people.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using them in surefires? I've never used the 16340 sized cells but I presume they're around 300mah. I'm surprised anyone would be happy with that runtime but like I said never used that size. An 18650 has the same mah as a normal 18350. That's why I rarely use them even though I have 16 of them in my unused cell box

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...] [LiFePO4 batteries] won't vent with flame or even be damaged really from either situation [...]

This is a common misconception. Though LiFePO4 is generally safer than many other common Li-ion chemistries, it certainly can vent with flame and cause serious damage. If you browse EV forums (e.g. endless-sphere.com) you can find reports of such.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do LiFePO4 batteries require a Protection PCB as do the Lithium Ion batteries?
LiFePO4 batteries are for high current devices and protection circuits won't work well when high current is required.
For same reason, all high current halogen super bulbs (35, 50, 100 or higher watt) are powered by non protected cells.