Which are best thrower's in the key chain world? keychain

davictorschwarz79

Newly Enlightened
I'll make this short and sweet, getting right to the point here as much as I can. These forums can stay in search engines for a few years, and to bless those who may ask "similar" questions here, I want an array of opinions that all lead to the same topic. "Which key-chain light will illuminate as far in front of me as possible"?
That being said, I already have a TN36UTvn, and I also have a Dereelight X-Searcher that I almost never carry with me. My every day carry is a VN version of the SK98, which has been my favorite everyday carry since the day I first had the SK68. I do not assume that ANY keychain light will ever out perform these four mentioned lights when it comes to illuminating all the night eyes within the corn field wilderness across from my house. However, my objective is just to sometimes FORGET my every day carry with items I simply NEVER forget to bring along. I just bought a Panther Vision 4 LED cap light, which offers a small amount of flood lighting directly in front of me, and that is usually all I need a flood to do anyways. Now, I want another item that is "always there" that can illuminate as far in front of me as possible. In general, a good key chain light IMO, should be half the size as an SK68 or smaller. Something that can go INSIDE your pocket without adding much stretch to your jeans.

Is there anything out there that will even come close to competing with an SK68's throw distance, but is a legitimate Key Chain light?

Last edited:

davictorschwarz79

Newly Enlightened
Re: Which are best thrower's in the key chain world?

It'd probably out-throw an SK68 even if its floody. It's definitely an amazing pocket worthy light if it's specs are accurate. I'll wait to drop $200 until I see some reviews tho lol. I lost an LED Lenser F1 over a year ago (clipped to my shirt pocket while working outside at night, it fell off while I was moving around) and it's amazing to think that The Dragon is smaller and brighter even than the F1. The F1 was almost as big as any pocket sized light should be, it could have worked as a Key Chain light, but it needed Modded to support a Key Ring. You are on the right track here.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think the MBI HF-R with ZoomHead might be around the size you describe ... ?

Those may be out of production at this point, however.

davictorschwarz79

Newly Enlightened
That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like a recommended burn time that is a bit higher than 20 seconds, but that's going to be a given when you pack this much heat into a little light. 5 minutes of 600 lumen light on it's highest mode isn't bad, especially if the batteries are swap-able. Looks like they still sell it, I'll give them a call no doubt. If anything else comes to mind please share.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Here's a photo of one, with a "normal" sized light for scale ....

6uxu433.jpg

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which are best thrower's in the key chain world?

omg ! 650 bucks for a 2 inch flashlight ! unreal.....
Don't look at the Nucleus then, $500 for a Timascus that's a fraction of the size of this one. They sold out nearly instantaneously.

There's always the Aluminum version for under $200. Still a quality piece made in America, just without the artistic material.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
The solitaire, I've had two, one was easily twice as floody (different emitter) so I gifted it away. The one I kept is surprisingly throwy. 8-10" at roughly 6'

MKLight

Enlightened
Here's a photo of one, with a "normal" sized light for scale ....

6uxu433.jpg

Ooh. I carry the HF-R Ti everyday. I have most of the accessories and considered the Zoom Head. If/When they come available again, I will definitely order one. Thanks for sharing. It looks great!

Fresh Light

Enlightened
The Manker T01 has probably the best throw for it's size. The head is going to be somewhat larger than other single aa lights, but it's quite a bit shorter than many of my other aa lights and it throws much more than any light that size. They have really nice output around 8-900L on a quality imr 14500 and even 500L on a eneloop with it's boost circuit. Mfg claim of 10K Lux on eneloop 20K lux on 14500 seems pretty accurate. I've seen that it has measured even higher at 15.5K lux and 21.4K lux on respective batteries. There is a versionII and it has a ss bezel. I see them listed some places for 65.00 but I'm pretty sure i paid 30-40 for the one that I have.

Last edited: