My B65 Surefire battery died!

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
My rechargeable B65 battery is dead. What can I do with the B65 battery recharger? Is it good for anything else? What other batteries will it charge? Maybe two or three of anything?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
This topic has come up before. Do you want to continue to use the light? If so, others on this forum have found at least one company that will build a new B65 pack for you. Otherwise, have you checked Ebay?

That charger is set up to charge NiCad cells. I don't know how well it would do charging NiMH cells instead. Maybe some else who has had experience in this area will chime in.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm,
the only light I am aware of that runs with the B65 is the 6R ... :thinking:
... so the best advice (15 years too late): Skip it!

put an 16650 Li-ion cell into the 6P (6R without adapter) and a P60 led insert instead of the original light assembly,
or - much better - get an 18650 modded body and use this, way more powerful, cell

the original charger will charge any 4-cells-in-a-row battery stick (so is pretty useless now) ;-)
NiMh and NiCad are similar enough, that the chemistry makes no difference

PS: I am pretty sure that "some company building something" refers to the B90 battery of 8X / 9N

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having let this BUILD by some shop?
At what cost?
:thinking:
makes no sense in my point of view (cost vs. "gain")

@lingpau:
the 2 "problems" are the
* cell size (2/3 A rechargeable is plain crap, no matter what. Has probably been chosen because of its size ... in the era before Li-Ion)
* Voltage (4.8 V is VERY unusual for the remote control ppl (the ones that drive "improvement" of racing packs) and whatever Ni-Mh/Ni-Cad one builds now: the base must be from a racing pack)

if that were an 8X / 9N (my recommendation if You want to stay Ni-Mh/NiCad), the 3-in-a-row Sub-C cell battery stick would simply be a cutdown 7.2 V racing pack. A moderately difficult homemade job.
If there were comparable 8 cell (2 rows with 4 each, in a row) it were the same: cut the 2 sticks free and have Your battery stick...
Unfortunately I just was not able to find such a thing

But my recommendation stays as was before:
1 * 18650 modded flashlight body
1 * P60 led insert
for:
smaller size
more power in cell
more powerful light
with still longer runtime

this size and power of flashlight is the perfect example for improvement by both led and Li-Ion technology ...
:)

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyone that replied to my thread. I called Surefire! Believe it or not I was offered a 40% discount on any Surefire product if I send in my Surefire B65 recharging assembly! The only problem is I am not interested in buying a new Surefire flashlight. Maybe better to just buy a bored out P6 body from someone and use a rechargeable 18650 battery! I already have a recharger that will handle that battery.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Find someone else who would like a Surefire, then take Surefire up on their offer and let the other person pay for it through you. Makes them happy, and happy with you as well.

I didn't bore out my 6P, I just use a 16650 cell in it. Of course it doesn't see heavy use so I don't need the extra capacity for a longer run time.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Where can I find someone that wants 40% off a new Surefire flashlight? What forum? I put it on the "Good Deal" forum and it was removed! Maybe not considered a good deal?

Last edited: