looking for 2AA recommendation

oifla

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Found the forum searching for a 2AA flashlight and emerged a couple of hours later having read a lot of good exchanges.

I'm opting for a new thread because most of what I found on 2AA does not really apply to what I'm looking for.

Ideally, I'm looking for a 2AA that is reasonably priced (I am willing to go as high as $60 but not much more). More than cost, I'm looking for something with very good battery efficiency over power. Most of my uses are in relatively small quarters and for longer stretches of time and only rare occasion would I use the light as a flood light. Most of the time this would be for on the job (contractor) and on my tool belt, occassionaly in pocket. Ability to stand on end is a plus but I do prefer the button there so I may be willing to go without that. A good clip is nice. Lastly, a lens that can focus is a big plus.

I would appreciate any recommendations, thanks!

O.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It only uses single cells, but the Streamlight 1L-1AA is a great little light with a good pocket clip and clicky tail cap. I like this one for pocket carry as I find 2AA lights a bit too long (more of a belt pouch size for me). The 1L-1AA runs on either AA's or CR123's without adjustment.....in fact in a pinch it will run on AAA's as well. Can be set up using the 10 tap system to come on in low mode first for long runtimes at about 40 lumens.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xAA LED lights that focus are very rare. In fact, I don't even know of any. I finally put my 2xAA ITP SA2 for sale on Ebay. You could check that out. I've been in this hobby for a decade now and of all the 2xAA lights that's the only one I have held on to for a couple of reasons: 1)it is very efficient and well regulated. 2)has 3 very well spaced modes in addition to the infinite variable output. 3)has been upgraded to an XP-G2. 4)it will not lose the low mode that happens to most 2xAA lights when using the Energizer L91 lithium ion batteries.

Let me see if I can talk you out of a 2xAA light and go for a single AA light. The 2xAA form factor is sort of out of date with LED technology. Since an LED has to have an electronic driver, the only advantages to a 2xAA light over a single AA light is that 1) run time will be improved because of having more batteries, 2)max output will be greater, .............and 3)perhaps the longer light is more comfortable for someone to hold.

My favorite 1xAA light over the 2xAA lights is the Fenix LD11 or LD12 (2017 model). I personally keep a 14500 lithium ion rechargeable battery in it but take along spare AA cells for if I'm not available to recharge. Then I can have the advanatage of having a light that will be brighter on high than a 2xAA light, a light I can carry in my pocket, a light that weighs less, and can have as long if not longer run times by taking a couple of spare batteries.

I will say though that if you can't take advantage of the rechargeable lithium ion battery in one of those 1xAA lights, you might be fine with just a 2xAA if you need something that will hit 250 lumens or so. That is about max for a 2xAA light.............but there are less options out there. If you are going to use the light mostly in the 50 lumen area, then a 1xAA light is a better option in my opinion because you're still going to get 6 hours of run time on a single AA NiMh battery.

Just some thoughts :).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
recommendations,
easy:
skip the 2AA
;)

full "custom"
1 * 18650 host body (Solarforce L2P / L2M / ...),
1 * P60 led insert (P60 Cree XP-G2 for "lower", P60 Cree XM-L2 for "higher" power. Whatever led: orange peel reflector, three level, neutral white 5.000/4.000 K tint)
2 * 18650 Li-Ion cell
1 * li-ion charger (wall & car jack)
... find all in decent but price efficient quality for example at member nailbender's shop (www.customlites)

or whatever ready made 1*18650 light You read from in cpf (Fenix, Jetbeam, Zebralight, ...)

PS: one 18650 cell houses the same energy than 5-6 AA rechargables, thats why ...

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy 41-4216 for 2AA focusing.

Coast HX5 for 1AA focusing.

Both lights are only 1 power level.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Mini mag pro +. 2 aa, two modes high and low. No button but still one hand with the twist switch. Can tail stand. Beam is sort of focasable. Otherwise I'm pretty sure coast makes something like what you are asking for so check them out as well.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the LD20 series (now LD22) from Fenix are the quintessential 2AA lights these days. Great mode spacing, slim, bright, and definitely great run time on the lower modes. You won't *not* like it if you get it.

Also Fenix E20 (also the "2015") edition is a fantastic light and cheaper. I see it is below 40 dollars on most sites. With the savings you could get a nice LaCrosse AA charger and some Eneloops or maybe Amazon rechargeables. The E20 uses a smaller (also domed) XP-E2 emitter with about the same size reflector, if not the same, so it will throw a somewhat tighter beam. Also from owning an original E20 a number of years ago I can tell you that they are heavier lights I think. Very robust. That might not be what you are looking for. The LD22 is lighter overall. It's the "better" light OVERALL in my opinion between those two and more expensive.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld22-g2-led-flashlight-2015-edt/

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e20-led-flashlight-no-shake/

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Eagletac D25A2. Simple UI, Runtimes are excellent, it is quitea durable light, and it has always been reliable. Checkout illuminationGear for them.

oh and welcome to the forums!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.. More than cost, I'm looking for something with very good battery efficiency over power. Most of my uses are in relatively small quarters and for longer stretches of time ...

I use (and test) efficient low low output lights in dark conditions with dark-adapted eyes in close quarters for long periods (e.g. camping task work) - probably 0.3-0.5 lm moonlights ~45% of the time, and 3 lm lows ~40%. The most efficient lights for my usage pattern will run those outputs ~200 hrs and ~60 hrs, respectively, per AA Eneloop (Alks run longer) and they can run on 1 or 2 AAs with swappable tubes within your budget. My most efficient sub-lumen light will do 0.8lms ~ 250 hrs (8ma draw) on an Eneloop, but has a large gap to the next mode.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello O! A Four Sevens Quark Click QK2A-X would be a good start. Price is 50 bucks shipped.