Surefire Executive Defender

SofubiShogun

Newly Enlightened
The Surefire Executive Defender incandecent was my first EDC light and I still carry it from time to time. The sharpened striker bezel is getting a bit too sharp but I hate to modify it being as old as it is. Am I right to feel this way or should i just take the edge off of them?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to do a WTB for an E2E bezel, and keep browsing the WTS section for the same. That way you could save the original bezel intact, but have a more pocket-friendly option. It would probably be a good idea to have a friendlier bezel if you are going to board a plane, and it also might help to put a piece of tape over the word "Defender". It's hard to know what triggers the attention of the TSA these days, which could probably vary from airport to airport (and even shift to shift).

SofubiShogun

Newly Enlightened
Good call, that sounds like the way to go. I have never tried to TSA it but I would have to agree, that original bezel was sharp to start with but it's just gotten sharper over the years. I don't think they would let me through. I worry about my lighter (soft flame/not torch) and edc spinner and I know those are supposed to be okay. Thank you for the advice.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
If it's too sharp run a file or sand paper across it

If I had a defender I would run it across the belt sander!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF member M I K does modifications. Grind them off. IMO, crenellations on a flashlight was a dumb idea from its inception, and it is tragic that every flashlight maker decided to copy the dumb idea. Is it a flashlight, or a knife? Why don't we just stick flashlights on all our knives? You can't serve two masters. It is one or the other, and when it tries to do both, it fails doubly.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A long time ago... when Maglite was one of the sturdiest lights made, PK designed items for soldiers and law personnel to use in the worst of circumstances...all you have between them and an enemy from taking the soldiers/cops life is a flashlight. Hence the word "Defender". Folks who used them were trained to understand hand to hand combat roles.

Well, in time the "tacti-cool" thing became popular. So-called strike bezels were on every cool new flashlight... (cool to the buying public that is), along with strobe in the sequence. It's a darn shame.
Nowadays some actually do make effective glass breakers for the business end in case the user ends up trapped in a vehicle.

These days those dangerous bezels are an oddity for the masses. Some would say "these things should be illegal". But the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution applies. The right to bare arms doesn't just apply to gunpowdered items. The issue begins when the guy who still believes "rasslin" is real or that boxing isn't fixed.
The rest of us just want a great flashlight that won't destroy our clothing. In the meantime figuring out to get a classic to not poke holes in a jacket pocket can be a daunting experience. Hopefully a classic, more suitable bezel will show up at a great price. That would seem to be a better approach versus filing down edges or placing cork over the points.

DRoc

Newly Enlightened
It's a classic that's no longer made...If it were mine, I would be careful how I modified it. Too easy to just buy some other flashlight that fits your needs, but the Incan Defender is not an easy find these days.