Foxfury Scout        
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

Flashaholic

Default Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

Does anyone know when the Aviators are supposed to be released? I want an few of them...
    Last edited by scout24; 04-18-2017 at 05:24 AM.
    SureFire Titan, SureFire Titan Plus, SureFire P2X Fury Tactical, SureFire P3X Fury Tactical, SureFire M600 Ultra Scout Light, Olight S1 Baton, Olight S2 Baton, Olight M3XS-UT, Olight X7.

Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

It seems that MidwayUSA is shipping the Blue and Y/G now. Red is back ordered and Amber is not an option.

Optics planet has them too, but with a non shrouded tail cap. Z61? They are not shipping yet.

Does anyone here have a new aviator yet?

Surefire just posted them on their website for $289.59...

Red is back ordered this early??
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Flashaholic*

The Aviators are added to the SF website:

http://www.surefire.com/illumination...s/aviator.html

Blue, Red, Yellow / Green and Amber are available.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Website has a typo:
    Says 1.5 lumens for 20 hours on low, but the paragraphs below state 5 lumens for 20 hours.

Still, the LED used (whatever it is) seems less efficient than the E1D and E1B LEDs that allow 37 hours for low mode.

I called Optics Planet yesterday afternoon. He told me their version (z61 tail cap) will be shipping next week. They have Amber and red, supposedly.

Glad SF released this light​. Now it's waiting for them to pop up at the SF dealer here or at eBay.

What is the attraction to this light-not judgemental simply wondering.

Yes, with the original A2 Aviator as well as other Surefire flashlights, I did not think much about it at the time; I realize now my attraction to this light was that it was a work of art. Also, at the time, 60 lumens was considered enough light to temporarily disorient an assailant, at least that was the motto. With the A2 Aviator, the 50 lumens high beam seemed like a lot of punch.

I just took the plunge and ordered a Surefire(TM) AVIATOR-AM Aviator® 084871326278 from their website. I will keep everyone posted on this thread by taking photos and "beamshots" as best as I can with my iPad Mini 2's camera.
    One-off TN42vnM (Purple hypershift Cerakote)

Saw this model during exhibition, AMBER - nice color, interesting how usable it will be in the dark..
    One my friend told me he love walking through the night forest with blue led flashlight, and all the ordinary things become like from other planet in blue light.

Hope this isn't too OT. I think it is really interesting that Surefire adopted the E1e body for the new l'il Aviators, and that they are sold with either z61 or z68 tailcaps... and Aviator is now E-series compatible. But is no one else lamenting the A2/LX2 dual stage tailcaps, with instant access to both spectrums? I didn't see it as an issue at all with the V1 Vampire, but it seems they made the new Aviator interface quite a bit less accessable with having to (is it pull &) twist the head? I'll be keeping my incan A2, and picking up at least a couple more... but I'll likely only go after a single new Aviator (prolly red, though the amber is lovely, I think red will better suit my purposes).

I went ahead an ordered an Amber one. I have no good reason to get one, just another one to add to the lot. The goinggear/Surefire video states that the Amber is good for smoke. Perhaps for firefighters.

Amber might also be good for fog, snow, and inclement weather. Just a guess.

It's time to get obsessed, again. SureFire(R) didn't re-invent the wheel, just the flashlight. Please see below pictures of amber Aviator®:
    hosting image
    hosting image
    hosting image
    hosting image
    hosting image
    hosting image
    hosting image
    hosting image

image sharing sites
    image sharing sites

The real question is, is the beam cleaner then on it's V1 vampire brother? I bought a V1 vampire, but returned it because of all the artifacts and rings in the beam! They are great looking lights!
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

That is a great question and important concern to address. To me, the white beam looks pretty clean. Please see 2 more photos below, first is low mode, second is high mode:

upload an image

upload an image

Quote Originally Posted by K2-bk-bl-rd View Post
    The real question is, is the beam cleaner then on it's V1 vampire brother? I bought a V1 vampire, but returned it because of all the artifacts and rings in the beam! They are great looking lights!

2 more photos, this time at the white ceiling 10 feet up and away as I lay on the floor with the Aviator® held in my mouth and iPad Mini 2 in my hands. It is 3:30 PM and my window shades are open with plenty of daylight from the Southern California sun:

upload a picture

upload a picture

One last photo showing the SureFire(R) AVIATOR-AM Aviator® LED ColorAmberflashlight itself:

image hosting 30 mb
    upload a gif
    upload a gif
    upload img
    Last edited by search_and_rescue; 03-18-2017 at 01:18 PM. Reason: The World Is Not Enough

This is probably the only new SF that has caught my interest... so far.

Can it run on 16340 (3.7v)?
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

Knowing SureFire(R), it may affect the warranty in case something goes wrong. However, I did wonder about RCR myself. This is a question for SureFire's Customer Service or for Master Nguyen(TM). Great question I think!

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    This is probably the only new SF that has caught my interest... so far.

Can it run on 16340 (3.7v)?

Wow, the beam definitely looks better! I wonder if the optic or LED are changed?
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Veeeeeeery nice!
    I did not expect the clean beam pattern. SF TIR does evolve.

I wonder if they did the Vampire route by using a single LED with two dies, or two separate LEDs that move into focus.

To Search and Rescue: does the product box and literature still say 20 hours on low for the white output?

Robert have you gotten yours? (or planning to get?) Is it available already in our place?
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

Hi Robert, yes it is two separate dies that move into focus. This is my first SureFire(R) flashlight purchase since the original M6LT back in early 2012. My goodness, it has been a long 5 years! It is good to know that Aviator® has been upgraded with the 2 LED for better beam focus.

According to the specifications from the User Manual, the White low output runtime is 20.5 hour

upload images free

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    Veeeeeeery nice!
    I did not expect the clean beam pattern. SF TIR does evolve.

I wonder if they did the Vampire route by using a single LED with two dies, or two separate LEDs that move into focus.

To Search and Rescue: does the product box and literature still say 20 hours on low for the white output?

Very nice!! Now Does this light come on high first then low or low then high?

I have been seeing mixed UI on this light so just want to get this clarified. Thanks.

Au Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

*poof*
    Last edited by search_and_rescue; 03-17-2017 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Bad post; duplicate of below:

Lightbulb Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

It is now nighttime and I can take better white ceiling shots of amber Aviator®'s beam output. Please see following 4 photos:

print screen windows 7

print screen windows 7

print screen windows 7

print screen windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by K2-bk-bl-rd View Post

Lightbulb Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

Hi JPA261,

yes this light come on low then high. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JPA261 View Post
    Very nice!! Now Does this light come on high first then low or low then high?

I have been seeing mixed UI on this light so just want to get this clarified. Thanks.
    Last edited by search_and_rescue; 03-17-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: The World Is Not Enough

Quote Originally Posted by search_and_rescue View Post
    Hi JPA261,

yes this light come on low then high. Thanks.
    Thanks for the answer!!

Does it take the old E series filters? If so I may buy an Amber and use the red filter around the house. Otherwise the red seems more useful to me.

Anyone having an amber one, is Low too bright at night?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast