HDS Systems        
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

I received a reply from the Technical Support Manager to my email inquiry regarding the runtime difference between Amber High, 2.75 hour, and Yellow-Green High, 12 hours. He stated that the runtimes are correct.

I plan to purchase the Y-G Aviator and the Backup MV. SureFire service just feels too good and professional, to not support them.

Thanks for the confirmation search and rescue! I'll eventually get a Y/G as well. I'm tracking my Amber Z61 tail version from optics planet as we speak.
    Last edited by Salmonfacesalad; 03-23-2017 at 02:48 PM.

What's the deal with Optics Planet offering it with the Z61 tailcap? Why do they have different ones that everyone else?
    I have a YG that's in transit from Midway which appears to have the standard Z68. I actually prefer the Z68 since it can tail stand; just curious about Optics Planet having a different offering.

If midway had the Amber I would have ordered from them. I have no idea on the different tailcap.
    Last edited by Salmonfacesalad; 03-23-2017 at 02:48 PM.

I also have a few new Z68's collecting dust, Black and Tan, that will go on the aviator.

Flashaholic*

Anybody know what the main LED is in this? Osram Oslon Square like their other TIR lights, or something else?
    Last edited by yowzer; 03-27-2017 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Speling

So the color LED and the White LED shares the same optic? Are they of the same package? closeup bezel shot please!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    So the color LED and the White LED shares the same optic? Are they of the same package? closeup bezel shot please!
    It looks like the control ring physically moves the appropriate LED to be under the optic.

Yes my kind Sirs. Mr. Yowzer described it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by yowzer View Post
    Anybody know what the main LED is in this? Osram Oslan Square like their other TIR lights, or something else?
    Yes, the White LED is square. The tint is impressive. I see it as pure white. The tint on my P3X is not pure white; it is the CREE XM-L2 with a tiny bit of green, especially the 15 lumen low mode.

My belief is that the 2017 two new SureFire models, both single 123A powered, is cutting edge technology. Very much on par with the best flashlight models from other manufacturers, if not better. The impressive thing about SureFire flashlights is their very tight tolerances. I used to be a professional road cycling fanatic, and top of the line Campagnolo components reminds me of SureFire tolerances.

Quote Originally Posted by yowzer View Post
    It looks like the control ring physically moves the appropriate LED to be under the optic.

That is an excellent system

I received my Amber aviator from Optics Planet yesterday.

It is not a Z61 tailcap as advertised, mine came with a Z68. It comes in a cardboard box ( similar to an M952V weapon light box ), as opposed to the red/black box with a window.

The white light tint is nowhere as green as my Defender Ultra. It has a tighter hot spot as well.

Default Surefire Aviator release date?

Hi, I am going to purchase the Aviator, but not sure on the secondary led, amber or yellow/green. Does anyone have the amber and does anyone have the yellow/green? What are your thoughts. In addition, the Aviators people have purchased all come with the Z68 tailcap regardless what the pic shows on websites, is that correct? Thank you
    Last edited by hcd615; 03-26-2017 at 04:42 PM.
    HOWARD

Mine came with a Z68 but was pictured with a Z61.

Last edited by Salmonfacesalad; 03-26-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Salmon, thanks for the pics. I am super curious to see that Amber beam shot at night. Can you take a few and post them? That would be so swell. I am really thinking hard about getting one. Also, how smooth is the UI? I imagine that Amber is a perfect task light at night, like when everyone is asleep an you need to navigate the house and such. What is your intended use of the Amber?
    Thanks in advance.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Optics Planet is a 1-3 month wait, I don't see anyone that has the amber or any lights except SF direct, guess I have to go that route.....
    HOWARD

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by search_and_rescue View Post
    Yes, the White LED is square.
    Square is a model of LED, not a shape.

My belief is that the 2017 two new SureFire models, both single 123A powered, is cutting edge technology.
    Not really. Surefire's been behind the game for many years when you look at battery choices and emitters. The small Oslon Square behind their TIR optics in lights like the EB2 makes for a nice tight hotspot compared to Armytek or Olight's focused TIR/XM-L2 offerings, but output and runtime suffer a lot. I'm probably going to get one of the new Aviators when they're in stock, but cutting edge they're not.

I'll get some beam shots tonight. But my camera is terrible.

I find the twist bezel UI easy to use. Although in total darkness I find myself fumbling switching from white to Amber. I'll get used to it. The tail cap UI is the usual Surefire fare.

Left to right. Defender Ultra, M300A TN, Amber aviator 3V, protac 1L-1AA, S1A Baton, and a cheap 6 LED 3X AAA.
    Last edited by Salmonfacesalad; 03-27-2017 at 05:42 PM.

I received my new Aviator YG yesterday from MidwayUSA. Pretty awesome little light! Earlier in this thread I had mentioned that SureFire lists the yellow-green low as 0.3 lumens in one place and 3 lumens in another, leading to some confusion. Unfortunately, I'd say it's definitely closer to 3 rather than 0.3. The yellow-green low is pretty similar in output to the 5 lumen white low mode. With dark adapted eyes, the low output yellow-green is pretty bright!

I own all the yellow-green offerings that I know of from SureFire (A2-YG, Kroma Milspec, HL1-D, and now Aviator-YG) and the low mode on this new Aviator is significantly brighter than any of the others. It's also the first yellow-green that isn't from a 3mm or 5mm LED.

As for the white, I'm happy to report that mine really has no tint at all. No green, no blue, no yellow; just pure white.

Using a photographic white balance card, I measured 6,000K and perfectly even red, green, and blue values (no strong leaning tint in any direction).

Here is the Aviator YG on low compared to the Kroma Milspec:

I few years back I had been hoping for one-day...in my dreams... a single-cell Aviator. Sold off my incan aviators (we all make mistakes...) Tried the A2L, but it didn't do it for me. Been out of the flashlight game for the last year or so and hadn't been paying attention.

And this pops up. Yowzah!

But...the secondary LED is no longer a flood, it's a TIR. And the lows don't seem that low. That's kind of an unfortunate outcome. I'll admit the two levels of white light (and really white it seems
    ...apparently, these aren't squid-urine green!) is useful. But, I'm not so sure I'm on board with this. What, exactly, would I use a "high" output amber, red or yellow-green light for? I hike, camp, hunt, fish, sure...but the whole point of the colored LEDs seemed to me to be low light/night vision preservation. So I could read a a map, say, or walk around the campsite, get into or out of my stand without tripping over stuff, rummage in the tackle box... And, no, I've no need/use for blue LEDs.

Perhaps in some industrial/mechanical applications, where you have to check for various fluids, or colored wires or something, then I could see why a "high" output colored TIR beam would be useful. But for us office-bound, woods roaming on the weekend only everyday folk, what, exactly (besides the cool factor - and the incan Aviator still has this one beat in that regard, IMO) do we get out of this light?

Believe me, I would LOVE to have a reason (not an excuse) to get one of these. But it would have to do something useful for me that my EB1 & E1L can't give me, and I am hard pressed to figure out what that could be.

Now, I will say this: if mosquitoes, sand flies, and no-see-ums are not attracted to amber or yellow-green LEDs...I'll buy 2 of these things. That amber looks a lot like the old "bug lights" we all had on the beach cottage porches back in the '70s. Can't remember if those things actually made any difference. If we were out after dark...we were nowhere near them.
    Last edited by BigBluefish; 03-28-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Salmonfacesalad,

Thanks for the beamshots , I hope to buy it quickly in white/red.

RobertM,

Nice picture.

Flashaholic "Give me more lumens!" - Flashlight Addict -

No problem. I'll attempt to get more.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    Now, I will say this: if mosquitoes, sand flies, and no-see-ums are not attracted to amber or yellow-green LEDs...I'll buy 2 of these things. That amber looks a lot like the old "bug lights" we all had on the beach cottage porches back in the '70s. Can't remember if those things actually made any difference. If we were out after dark...we were nowhere near them.
    Actually, I recall reading on CPF a few years back that yellow-green should be pretty good at not attracting bugs. That said, I've never personally verified this claim.
    Red would be good for preserving your night adapted vision. I have a hyper-red HDS rotary that I've experimented with and found that even at bright levels of red light (100+ lumens), my night vision is still preserved much better than with white light.

Quote Originally Posted by DAN92 View Post
    RobertM,

Nice picture.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    Actually, I recall reading on CPF a few years back that yellow-green should be pretty good at not attracting bugs. That said, I've never personally verified this claim.
    Red would be good for preserving your night adapted vision. I have a hyper-red HDS rotary that I've experimented with and found that even at bright levels of red light (100+ lumens), my night vision is still preserved much better than with white light.

Thank you.
    Bugs are mostly attracted to blue and UV light, which is in a lot of white light. Most bug lights are deep yellow, nearly amber, which is a compromise between giving ourselves light we can see in without any blue to discourage bug attraction, but some bugs see further into the color spectrum. Generally speaking, the further you get away from blue, towards and including red, the better the light will be less visible to bugs. So as an effective bug light, the YG would be the least effective, but still somewhat effective, compared to pure yellow being moderately effective, compared to orange-red or red being the most effective.

But bugs that are attracted to light are mostly moths and beetles. Many believe they can be safe from mosquitos with bug lights, but this isn't the case. For instance, the notorious UV "Bug Zapper" is really only a moth and beetle killer, and doesn't attract many mosquitos. Mosquitos are attracted to CO2 and heat (IR). The most effective mosquito traps drip CO2, and these traps are very effective when combined with an attractant (such as Octenol or Lurex).
    Last edited by chillinn; 03-28-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chillinn View Post
    Bugs are mostly attracted to blue and UV light, which is in a lot of white light. Most bug lights are deep yellow, nearly amber, which is a compromise between giving ourselves light we can see in without any blue to discourage bug attraction, but some bugs see further into the color spectrum. Generally speaking, the further you get away from blue, towards and including red, the better the light will be less visible to bugs. So as an effective bug light, the YG would be the least effective, but still somewhat effective, compared to pure yellow being moderately effective, compared to orange-red or red being the most effective.

But bugs that are attracted to light are mostly moths and beetles. Many believe they can be safe from mosquitos with bug lights, but this isn't the case. For instance, the notorious UV "Bug Zapper" is really only a moth and beetle killer, and doesn't attract many mosquitos. Mosquitos are attracted to CO2 and heat (IR). The most effective mosquito traps drip CO2, and these traps are very effective when combined with an attractant (such as Octenol or Lurex).
    Yup. I should get the amber. That way all those hordes of biting moths won't...oh, wait. It's the skeeters that bite. And they are attracted to CO2. So I don't need this new Aviator. Well, that's just no damn, fun, is it? Guess my wallet is happy.

Still red or amber would be better for night vision...hmmm.

So cool. Yet, not necessarily useful.
    Last edited by BigBluefish; 03-28-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

My Aviator w/ Amber is due to be delivered tomorrow. Any new updates on people whom already have them and using them? Anyone going to put a review on YouTube, that would be great.
    HOWARD

Quote Originally Posted by hcd615 View Post
    My Aviator w/ Amber is due to be delivered tomorrow. Any new updates on people whom already have them and using them? Anyone going to put a review on YouTube, that would be great.
    +1 would love to see a video on this..

Awesome pics. Thank you! Just what I expected. I must own one soon.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Flashaholic

I bought my #1 son, a pilot for a local bank, an A2 LED Aviator (Red) some years back. He politely declined the gift reminding me that he did have to, on occasion, fly by airline to pick up a plane and would likely lose it while going through the metal detectors, as had a few adjustment screwdrivers. "Besides," he said, "... you are the flashlight nut!". Well, I rationalized that it would be a welcome addition to my dark sky 'star party' kit for my astronomy interests. Heck, I'll admit it... I am a flashlight 'nut' and welcomed it to my collection. I did wonder why my then new 80/5 L E1b couldn't be offered in a red LED version, it being a handier size. I have to wonder about the three C-note cost, however. Perhaps I am jaded by my locally purchased older Aviator as it was a 'closeout' special at < than a C-note. I also wonder about the utility of a tail stander in an aircraft, although it certainly is to my liking. In fact, the whole light is desirable - to me - it's just the price...
    Last edited by Stainz; 03-30-2017 at 05:54 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast