EAGTAC        
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 230

Thread: Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

  1. #91
    Flashaholic hcd615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    322

    Default Surefire Aviator release date?

    My Aviator / Amber arrived today. My light also came in the plain brown box as others have said. It did not come in the black & red rectangle boxes we have grown accustom to. This is the first Aviator I have owned from SF, it is really neat. I love the amber secondary led.

    Such a neat light I actually just ordered a yellow/green and had it overnight shipped so I will post those pics tomorrow. Want to see which secondary led color may be better for eyes that are adapted to pitch black at night. Also the longer runtime of the yellow/green vs. the amber is a big difference.

    Amber:
    Low: 5 lumens = 29 hours
    High: 20 lumens = 2.75 hours

    Yellow/Green:
    Low: 3 lumens = 58 hours
    High: 39 lumens = 12 hours








    I am not expert at photos, so sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. The beam shots look like they are sorta elongated, that is because I was shooting the pic from and angle to get the whole round beam in the frame:

    ((LOW))



    ((HIGH))




    ((LOW))



    ((HIGH))



    Size Comparison
    Aviator/ Left
    EID / Right



    I switched tailcaps from Z68 to Z61. I really like the Z61 on the Aviator as far as pocket carry. If I need the light to be used as a lantern I could always just screw the Z68 on, no big deal.
    Last edited by hcd615; 03-30-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    HOWARD

  2. #92

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    hcd615,

    Thank you for the beam shots , decidedly, the Aviator also has a neutral cardboard box.

    Flashaholic "Give me more lumens!" - Flashlight Addict -

  3. #93
    Flashaholic hcd615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    322

    Default Surefire Aviator release date?

    I will post pics tomorrow of the yellow/green Aviator
    Last edited by hcd615; 03-30-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    HOWARD

  4. #94
    Flashaholic BugoutBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    To someone who has this. What is the tint like? Is it the ugly green or is it more perfect white like the G2X?
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

  5. #95
    Flashaholic* RobertM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,473

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBoys View Post
    To someone who has this. What is the tint like? Is it the ugly green or is it more perfect white like the G2X?
    I think most are reporting good luck regarding not getting green. Mine has no green whatsoever and measured 6000K in temperature.

  6. #96
    Flashaholic hcd615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Both of mine have zero green tint to my naked eye wall hunting, nice and white
    HOWARD

  7. #97

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    The more I ponder this light, the more I think this isn't really the improved version of the A2 Incan, but rather, the improved version of the E1L. Comes on in low, has a higher high, has a more useful bean pattern for outdoorsy stuff than the tight beam of the older TIR optic, and has a colored LED as well...take your pick of colors, and is relatively small.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

  8. #98

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Yea, not really a replacement for the classic A2.

  9. #99

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Anybody know if the FO4 type filters fit on these snug yet? Was thinking of ordering the diffusor when I order my Aviator.

  10. #100

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Someone please help me understand- only the white version has white high and white low correct? It's not amber-low, then white-high? From the specs I was expecting amber-low 5l, amber-high 20l only, but in pictures I see a "WH" and "AMBER" positions (on the same light?)... and an "OFF" position, which I assume that's like a lockout, since there is already a clicky. If anyone understands and can help with my confusion here I'd appreciate an extremely dumbed-down explanation for me.

    Wish they could have squeezed in machining costs for a little bit of head crenelation, like the new E1B. But if I'm missing something and this aviator does have a bright White and low amber in the same light, I'd rather have this one.
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

  11. #101
    Flashaholic* RobertM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,473

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    Someone please help me understand- only the white version has white high and white low correct? It's not amber-low, then white-high? From the specs I was expecting amber-low 5l, amber-high 20l only, but in pictures I see a "WH" and "AMBER" positions (on the same light?)... and an "OFF" position, which I assume that's like a lockout, since there is already a clicky. If anyone understands and can help with my confusion here I'd appreciate an extremely dumbed-down explanation for me.

    Wish they could have squeezed in machining costs for a little bit of head crenelation, like the new E1B. But if I'm missing something and this aviator does have a bright White and low amber in the same light, I'd rather have this one.
    There is no "white version." All of these new Aviators have four total modes (2 color and 2 white). In the case of amber, you get amber low, amber high, white low, and white high. When you have the head turned to Amber, clicking the tailcap turns on amber low and an additional press will switch to amber high. When the head is set to White, clicking alternates between low white and high white. You always have a low mode and high mode, whether it's the color LED or white LED is determined by the bezel position. The middle position on the bezel, Off, locks the light from accidentally activating either LED.

    Hopefully this explanation helps.
    Last edited by RobertM; 04-02-2017 at 09:50 AM.

  12. #102

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Perfect, got it. Thanks.
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

  13. #103
    Flashaholic* Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    1,245

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    The old incandescent A2 had the greatest user interface ever. Press lightly for low, press harder for high. For constant, twist a little for low, twist more for high. I kinda wish the new A2 reincarnated the old switch, but I guess it could be a bit awkward trying to use a light that twists at both ends. I do like the new A2 an awful lot.

  14. #104
    Flashaholic* Grijon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    For the sake of clarity I would respectfully point out that there is no "new A2" - the new light's name is simply "Aviator", with no "A2" involved.

  15. #105
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Near Seattle
    Posts
    566

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    The old incandescent A2 had the greatest user interface ever. Press lightly for low, press harder for high. For constant, twist a little for low, twist more for high. I kinda wish the new A2 reincarnated the old switch, but I guess it could be a bit awkward trying to use a light that twists at both ends. I do like the new A2 an awful lot.

    Surefire discontinued all their remaining lights using that UI a few years ago. It's a damn shame, too.

  16. #106
    *Flashaholic* Str8stroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    On The Black Pearl
    Posts
    5,006

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Thanks RobertM, that is how I figured they would work. I didn't know about the lock out. That is a cool little touch.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!


  17. #107

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by yowzer View Post
    Surefire discontinued all their remaining lights using that UI a few years ago. It's a damn shame, too.
    The best SF UI (IMHO) and perhaps...just perhaps.. THE BEST UI EVER.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

  18. #108

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    For actual flying, particularly tactical aviation, the A2 Aviator was the worst possible interface. The difference between a night vision compatible low lumen green and a brilliant white crew-blinding high beam was just a few millimeters on the rear switch. Lights that lock out white and / or high lumen outputs are much more suitable for aviation use. Nothing wrong with the A2 interface, just a misnomer since that light also had the "aviator" name.
    Last edited by Obiwanjak; 04-03-2017 at 11:04 PM.

  19. #109

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwanjak View Post
    For actual flying, particularly tactical aviation, the A2 Aviator was the worst possible interface. The difference between a night vision compatible low lumen green and a brilliant white crew-blinding high beam was just a few millimeters on the rear switch. Lights that lock out white and / or high lumen outputs are much more suitable for aviation use. Nothing wrong with the A2 interface, just a misnomer since that light also had the "aviator" name.
    Exactly.

    People may pine for the old A2 but this new one takes a deliberate motion to light it up on white, no surprises.

    Starting on "red" low mode is also great for its intented use.

    For pre flighting, the TIR with 250 lumens and a lot better runtime also does better,, IMHO. Starts with 5 lumens for looking closely at panels, pitot tubes, etc and 250 lumens for looking up at wings and rudders.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

  20. #110
    Flashaholic BugoutBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    I got mine yesterday! It has quickly become my favorite flashlight I own. I am very impressed with it! The tint is absolutely perfect! I love the modes, secondary color, everything!
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

  21. #111

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    I'm having a hard time deciding between Red and Yellow Green. One of the responses earlier in this thread was the 3 or .3 lumens of Yellow Green in low was pretty bright. For those of you with Yellow Green how off putting is it in Low? and Low Light? The runtimes for high if they are really correct are really hard to ignore. Any other thoughts?

  22. #112

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    Exactly.

    People may pine for the old A2 but this new one takes a deliberate motion to light it up on white, no surprises.

    Starting on "red" low mode is also great for its intented use.

    For pre flighting, the TIR with 250 lumens and a lot better runtime also does better,, IMHO. Starts with 5 lumens for looking closely at panels, pitot tubes, etc and 250 lumens for looking up at wings and rudders.
    Having zero knowledge of aviation, I will defer to those with actual expertise. The UI always worked well for me, but I never got within 50ft of a cockpit: I just used them for poking around in the woods. For the rest of us, the lack of instant switching from color to white and low-flood to high-spot beam makes it seem more like the E1L than the old A2 in use, just low to high in one color, with the same beam profile. If this light actually works better for pilots and aircrew, great.

    Just out of curiosity, what works better in an aviation setting, the red or yellow-green secondary LEDs? Does it depend upon the type of aircraft flown, or whether we are talking about a pilot or aircrew member not actually in the cockpit?
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

  23. #113
    Flashaholic hcd615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBoys View Post
    I got mine yesterday! It has quickly become my favorite flashlight I own. I am very impressed with it! The tint is absolutely perfect! I love the modes, secondary color, everything!
    What secondary LED color did you purchase? I bought the Yellow / Green and like it a lot. I liked the extra long runtimes....
    HOWARD

  24. #114

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcd615 View Post
    What secondary LED color did you purchase? I bought the Yellow / Green and like it a lot. I liked the extra long runtimes....
    Can you please post some beam shots of the Yellow / Green? and any other thoughts to share about the color?

  25. #115

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    In the tactical aviation world, cockpit lighting and flashlights are generally yellow / green. This causes less blooming on night vision (which is particularly sensitive to red lighting). That allows you to use an interior light without washing out your night vision exterior vision.

  26. #116

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwanjak View Post
    In the tactical aviation world, cockpit lighting and flashlights are generally yellow / green. This causes less blooming on night vision (which is particularly sensitive to red lighting). That allows you to use an interior light without washing out your night vision exterior vision.
    And, in the airliner world, I haven't seen red or even colored cockpit lighting for the past couple of decades. Seems like some of the 727's twenty-five years ago had red map lights with a twist switching mechanism for white, kinda like the Aviator. And all the charts and pubs are on a tablet at most airlines these days, so the dim light is for stuff like finding the hotel pen you dropped under the rudder pedals.

    Pilots in the U.S. are required by federal law to carry a flashlight but I doubt that many will ever carry a SF Aviator. Still, it's an interesting light for us here on CPF.

  27. #117
    Flashaholic* RobertM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,473

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Does anyone else's Aviator seem to flicker at times when on low?

  28. #118
    Flashaholic BugoutBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    Does anyone else's Aviator seem to flicker at times when on low?
    It's the PWM. It's always flickering but you just only see it sometimes!
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

  29. #119
    Flashaholic* RobertM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,473

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBoys View Post
    It's the PWM. It's always flickering but you just only see it sometimes!
    I assume your's does it as well?
    I've had some PWM controlled lights before, but this acts a little strange in that it isn't just a fast strobe/flicker, but it looks like the actual output varies a bit as it flickers. It doesn't do it all the time either. I suppose it could still be PWM though. Hmm...

  30. #120
    Flashaholic BugoutBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    I assume your's does it as well?
    I've had some PWM controlled lights before, but this acts a little strange in that it isn't just a fast strobe/flicker, but it looks like the actual output varies a bit as it flickers. It doesn't do it all the time either. I suppose it could still be PWM though. Hmm...
    I have noticed the same with mine. I don't know if it is legitimate output flicker or if my eyes just occasionally pick it up and it looks like it. Hmmm
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •