The Fenix-Store        
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 230

Thread: Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

  1. #121
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    131

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    I am just guessing, but does it only flicker in the colored LED, or both colored and white? I am the OP and want to know before I buy two of each color.
    SureFire Titan, SureFire Titan Plus, SureFire P2X Fury Tactical, SureFire P3X Fury Tactical, SureFire M600 Ultra Scout Light, Olight S1 Baton, Olight S2 Baton, Olight M3XS-UT, Olight X7.

  2. #122
    Flashaholic* RobertM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,473

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by CREEXHP70LED View Post
    I am just guessing, but does it only flicker in the colored LED, or both colored and white? I am the OP and want to know before I buy two of each color.
    It does it on low white and low yellow-green on mine.

    Edit: I just tried it again. Mine is flickering on high yellow–green as well as both low modes.
    Last edited by RobertM; 04-10-2017 at 06:12 PM.

  3. #123
    xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Is the flickering in a way disturbing to you?
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

  4. #124
    Flashaholic* RobertM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,473

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    Is the flickering in a way disturbing to you?
    Unfortunately, it's pretty annoying.

  5. #125

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    Unfortunately, it's pretty annoying.
    I wonder if its the Yellow Green version? or do you thing some people notice it more than others?

  6. #126
    Flashaholic* Slumber Pass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Alamo City
    Posts
    1,239

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    There were reports of E1D's that flickered on low when released, perhaps it's the same issue. I don't think these lights use PWM do they?

  7. #127
    Flashaholic BugoutBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    I only notice mine occasionally. It'll be something that I'm like "Wait.. Did it just flicker?" moreso than anything else. it doesn't bother me much cause like I said, I just notice it for a split second. I can see PWM in Nitecore flashlights and others like that. So if this is PWM, it is very high frequency because to me it isn't noticeable but occasionally. If it's flicker.. Well I hope it's not flicker.. I wouldn't be the happiest in the world if I heard that a $300 flashlight flickers.
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

  8. #128

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBoys View Post
    I only notice mine occasionally. It'll be something that I'm like "Wait.. Did it just flicker?" moreso than anything else. it doesn't bother me much cause like I said, I just notice it for a split second. I can see PWM in Nitecore flashlights and others like that. So if this is PWM, it is very high frequency because to me it isn't noticeable but occasionally. If it's flicker.. Well I hope it's not flicker.. I wouldn't be the happiest in the world if I heard that a $300 flashlight flickers.
    @BugoutBoys what secondary color do you have?

  9. #129
    Flashaholic* RobertM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,473

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    After owning all the yellow-green flashlights that SureFire has offered over the years, as well as being a huge fan of the original A2 Aviators, I was really excited for this light.


    Over the past few weeks, I have ordered and tried FOUR yellow-green Aviators and have returned all four.


    Here is a quick rundown:


    Aviator YG #1: flickering on low modes and big fingerprint on the reflector, inside the sealed head


    Aviator YG #2: no flicker, but "bubble" imperfection in the glass lens resulting in a dark spot in the spill beam


    Aviator YG #3: no flicker, but same issue as #2 (slightly not as bad though)


    Aviator YG #4: bad flickering on both low modes as well as high yellow-green

    One good thing to note is that the white has been pure white with no green or other undesirable tints on any of my four copies.





    At this point, I'm done. I'm out ~$25 in return shipping fees to various online dealers.


    I've owned over 40 SureFires over the past 10 years and have never been so frustrated and disappointed in a light that I was so excited to get. 4/4 with quality control issues is pretty bad.

  10. #130
    Flashaholic* Grijon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    I am so grateful for CPF and its members; this light is off my list now. I would have been CRUSHED to pay $300 for a PWM light with dirty, flawed lenses and flickering. I, too, was pretty stoked about the new Aviator.

  11. #131

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    After owning all the yellow-green flashlights that SureFire has offered over the years, as well as being a huge fan of the original A2 Aviators, I was really excited for this light.


    Over the past few weeks, I have ordered and tried FOUR yellow-green Aviators and have returned all four.


    Here is a quick rundown:


    Aviator YG #1: flickering on low modes and big fingerprint on the reflector, inside the sealed head


    Aviator YG #2: no flicker, but "bubble" imperfection in the glass lens resulting in a dark spot in the spill beam


    Aviator YG #3: no flicker, but same issue as #2 (slightly not as bad though)


    Aviator YG #4: bad flickering on both low modes as well as high yellow-green

    One good thing to note is that the white has been pure white with no green or other undesirable tints on any of my four copies.





    At this point, I'm done. I'm out ~$25 in return shipping fees to various online dealers.


    I've owned over 40 SureFires over the past 10 years and have never been so frustrated and disappointed in a light that I was so excited to get. 4/4 with quality control issues is pretty bad.
    That's depressing. I've never seen a quality on any of my 10+ surefire lights. :-( I wonder if the red or Amber have the same issues or if these problems will get fixed over in the next few months.

  12. #132
    Flashaholic* Daniel_sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,154

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    The QC/Quality has been getting worse recently in my subjective opinion - I had issues with my new Titan AAA (totally unreliable mode switching) and for example a lot of new Surefire XC1 are suffering from reliability issues. Sorry for going a little off-topic, but I wanted to share my frustration :-/.
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

  13. #133
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,986

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Seems to be the trend ever since PK left SF.

  14. #134

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Maybe the circuit needs tweaking with the newer dual color LEDs.
    I guess they adapted the V1 drivers for use with these A2s.

    Only flickering I've seen on dual mode models I have(E1B, E1D, L1, G2XLE and LX2) was on the LX2, and that was using 16650s, but not with CR123. My TitanA has been reliable and flicker free as well.

    Hope this get resolved.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

  15. #135
    xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Hope the other Aviator owners can chime in, especially those with the other secondary led colors particularly amber and red. So far what I know (or assume) from this thread is the Y/G has flickering. Thanks to those who reported this, of course to CPF.
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

  16. #136

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    Hope the other Aviator owners can chime in, especially those with the other secondary led colors particularly amber and red. So far what I know (or assume) from this thread is the Y/G has flickering. Thanks to those who reported this, of course to CPF.
    I've been leery of the new Aviators after reading here of recent problems with the Vampires having similar mechanical LED switching:

    Quote Originally Posted by aleksfoxtrot View Post
    I have had more problems out of vampire series lights than any other light I've ever owned. I had to send my M952v in twice. Bought an X300v from Optics planet and sent it back immediately it wouldn't work in the cold (less than 40 degrees it stopped working). Sent it to optics planet they sent me another one it's worked well on my Glock for about 6 months and just the other day I notice a dark spot in the middle of the beam. Look at the diode and there is a black spot on it.
    Should I send it back to Surefire?
    Quote Originally Posted by teak View Post
    Geez..I've had the same problems with vampires, I've had 3, count 3 952vs, this last time I sent in my 952v surefire sent a m600 vampire. Worked fine for a few weeks, then it started acting goofy on IR. Sometimes it would "strobe" while in IR mode. I don't know what's going on over at surefire these days but I find myself using surefire lights alot less these days.

  17. #137

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Oh darn, my Y/G shipped from optics planet so I'll report my findings here. I can also host some high res pictures for everyone to check out.

  18. #138

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocco View Post
    Oh darn, my Y/G shipped from optics planet so I'll report my findings here. I can also host some high res pictures for everyone to check out.
    Great mk2rocco , mine is in the process of delivery.

    Flashaholic "Give me more lumens!" - Flashlight Addict -

  19. #139

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    I currently have a Surefire EB1 200/5 (Though the 5 really feels like 15 or 20. lumen with the clicky tailcap and find it the perfect EDC for me but I'd love to have the secondary color of the new Aviator. I was planning on buying YG based on runtimes but with all the recent reports I'm thinking Red or Amber. So I second the recent questions. Any problems with the Red or Amber from those owners? Anyone own both a Amber and a Red?

  20. #140
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the middle of Europe
    Posts
    548

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by DAN92 View Post
    Great mk2rocco , mine is in the process of delivery.
    Sounds interesting. Where did you ordered your Aviator Y/G?
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

  21. #141

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    Sounds interesting. Where did you ordered your Aviator Y/G?
    Sorry for the confusion, I bought the Aviator White / Red.

    For the rest PM.

    Flashaholic "Give me more lumens!" - Flashlight Addict -

  22. #142
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    131

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Well I guess I won't be buying any of these now. Olight, when is that X7R coming out? I need one before we blow NK off the map.
    SureFire Titan, SureFire Titan Plus, SureFire P2X Fury Tactical, SureFire P3X Fury Tactical, SureFire M600 Ultra Scout Light, Olight S1 Baton, Olight S2 Baton, Olight M3XS-UT, Olight X7.

  23. #143
    Flashaholic BugoutBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    So my question.. Why is this flashlight $300? What warrants the price being that much? I mean that is a ton of money for a flashlight. Is the technology in this thing really that good? Where does that price come from? Especially if they don't have enough QC to make sure the LED is centered or that there aren't fingerprints on the TIR optic.
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

  24. #144

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBoys View Post
    So my question.. Why is this flashlight $300? What warrants the price being that much? I mean that is a ton of money for a flashlight. Is the technology in this thing really that good? Where does that price come from? Especially if they don't have enough QC to make sure the LED is centered or that there aren't fingerprints on the TIR optic.
    As a sf addict (in recovery) Id have had no problem falling off the wagon to splurge for one, but yeah between reports of visible pwm & qc issues, no way. I was so excited the tails are now e compatible too- had a defender tail cap sitting around just waiting for something like this.

    To the E1B-MV thread!
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

  25. #145
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the middle of Europe
    Posts
    548

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    I made a short review with pictures in a german forum. But since it has a lot pictures it may be also interesting here: link
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

  26. #146
    Flashaholic BugoutBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Last question! Someone asked it but it wasn't answered. Has anyone put a rechargeable 3.7v in the Aviator? Will it work?
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

  27. #147

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    I can report that my Amber aviator flickers slightly on low Amber mode only. Only when it's beam is close to a wall can I notice it.

    I used it on a night hike at my local state park and didn't notice the flickering when illuminating the foot path. It lights up the path but you can still enjoy the stars.

    I can also report that there is a small scratch inside the sealed lens.

  28. #148
    Flashaholic* Grijon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Thank you for the information

  29. #149
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the middle of Europe
    Posts
    548

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Interesting there are people having a red or amber and also yellow green Aviator. But it seems Blue is not really popular...
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

  30. #150
    Flashaholic BugoutBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    Interesting there are people having a red or amber and also yellow green Aviator. But it seems Blue is not really popular...
    I guess blue has the least amount of uses? I got it cause I just like the color blue =P
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •