SunwayLED        

Thread: Gas still rules!

Default Gas still rules!

Yes, i know... LD and DPSS lasers have dominated the market but i still believe that gas lasers are by far the better laser, especially in the aesthetics dept...

That being said, i picked up this little gem about 2 yrs ago from an electronics graveyard for $20 but it lacked a PSU ....

But a well known laser expert sent me this and it arrived this AM...

so now there's this beautiful HeNe discharge that just can't be beat, and the beam is stunning as always with hene...

and of course, the spectral...

after dark, i'll see about some beam shots.
    if your not wearing a #12 welding screen than it ain't bright enough! "Hand-Sun H.I.D." 55w & 75w, Rocky 3w LED, Stanley 109 35w mod'd, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, 400w MH long arc, 100w MH mid arc. Amondotech n30, vss-3A.

Default Re: Gas still rules!

ooouuuuuuu aaaaawwwwwgh Purdy!
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

25' beam shot

if your not wearing a #12 welding screen than it ain't bright enough! "Hand-Sun H.I.D." 55w & 75w, Rocky 3w LED, Stanley 109 35w mod'd, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, 400w MH long arc, 100w MH mid arc. Amondotech n30, vss-3A.

FRITZHID, now that's some Helium-Neon laser. I am also surprised that this laser is still functional, as it looks to be made in 70s - 80s. (Ancient Helium-Neon laser tubes tend to be built the weird way as you can notice when comparing this ancient laser tube with modern barcode tubes - nevertheless, it makes for some pretty interesting neon sign in a way. Also, soft-sealed laser tubes tend to die much faster than hard-sealed ones, however yours seem to be vacuum-fit, meaning the seal was formed between perfectly ground tube end and mirror or brewster angle plate in a way they're cold-welded together, which explains its longevity.)

Even though DPSS and laser diodes have conquered the markets, there's still huge markets for gas lasers owing to their characteristics which still makes them attractive, such as time domain stability (spectrum width and coherence length) which is still way better than laser diodes, except for some very expensive VCSEL diodes. That said, I have a few very small Helium-Neon laser tubes (Melles Griot 05-LHR-640), and they are a rather nifty demonstration of optical physics by themselves. I wish I would have a small laser inverter power supply to be powered by a single high-drain Lithium-ion battery - I might have to make one though.
    Last edited by Dr. Mario; 04-16-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    ****** Custom filtered blacklight flashlight based on both Nichia NVSU233A-U365 and Convoy S2 flashlight host (Pictured in avatar icon) ******

Yeah, she's my "glass work" baby.... So beautiful to look at whilst running. (Glad she doesn't hog the dryer outlet like my Ar/Kr!)

It certainly is. The nice thing about Helium-Neon lasers is that they're efficient in comparison to Argon-ion lasers, which is nice because you don't have to worry too much about the electrical and cooling requirement (except for some extremely rare monster Helium-Neon lasers).
    ****** Custom filtered blacklight flashlight based on both Nichia NVSU233A-U365 and Convoy S2 flashlight host (Pictured in avatar icon) ******

True. Personally, I love this laser for the fact that it's very easy to use as teaching aid... On many levels. ....and it's beam is so f'n clean! I put any bare laser to compete! Lol

Yup - it's popular for usage as a teaching aid - if you have access to the external cavity Helium-Neon laser as those used in the medical Raman spectrography machine, you can do some nifty optical tricks with it (such as multiple brewster plates between the laser output end and output mirror - when you have set up enough of them the right way, it will resume lasing as if the plates aren't there).

And as for the clean laser beam, I totally agree, quite crispy compared to the elliptic laser beam typical of the Fabry-Perot (the usual favor) laser diode.

EDITED: Here's a link to the optical trick I talked about, it's under "Perpendicular Uncoated Windows in a Low Gain Laser" in Sam's Laser FAQ link - https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserexp.htm
    Last edited by Dr. Mario; 04-16-2017 at 09:38 PM.

This HeNe is a 2 Brewster window laser..... About the best laser you're gonna find for teaching the basics.

Two Brewster windows laser? Excellent, it will work.