DealExtreme        
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seattle 2 New York City Road Trip March 13-22

Default Seattle 2 New York City Road Trip March 13-22

I want to share something special with my CPF family here :-)
    I will be driving to New York City and then fly back for this trip
    This is one of my child hood dream just like the Corvette :-)
    Will be the most amazing 10 consecutive days of my life
    As an immigrant I personally consider that you are not an American until you touch New York City with your hands
    On March 4th at 6:25AM Pacific Time my life will take a wild course (More on this later)
    I will be doing this trip with a very special person
    Help me count down the days!

So....

During this time I will not work much
    You may place your order and they will be fulfilled in the order received
    I might or might not do a sale to raise funds for this EXPENSIVE trip
    I do try not to do sales unless I am really broke or it's a special occasion
    Please give me suggestions to all the places I shoudl visit on the drive
    We are not in a rush to get there as every moment will be memorable

:-)
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 02-09-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    Email/Paypal/Subscribe: SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Default Re: Seattle 2 New York City Road Trip March 13-22

awesome man, enjoy!

COOL!! Philadelphia is only a few hours away from New York! Maybe we could meet up?!
    A resentment is a cancer that eats us away from the inside and is portrayed by our attitude from the outside. Capolini-6.4.2003
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017

Awesome stuff vinh, wow ......what an amazing trip that will be. One of my big wants in life is to do a USA road trip, coast to coast..................

Yellow stone park, mt Rushmore. More southern route should include grand canyon, sedona, moab (arches national park)...

ohh yaa,keep this in mind!! New York is a bigger city but Philadelphia is the MOST historical city in the nation!

Philadelphia was once the Capital of the USA, The Declaration of Independence was signed here along with the US Constitution!

EDIT:THOSE TWO DOCUMENTS GAVE US OUR "FREEDOM" AND OUR "RIGHTS". IMPORTANT FOR EVERY AMERICAN, IMMIGRANTS OR NATURAL BORN CITIZENS

MY GUESS IS YOUR SPECIAL GUEST IS YOUR MOM.
    Last edited by Capolini; 02-09-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    A resentment is a cancer that eats us away from the inside and is portrayed by our attitude from the outside. Capolini-6.4.2003
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    ohh yaa,keep this in mind!! New York is a bigger city but Philadelphia is the MOST historical city in the nation!

Philadelphia was once the Capital of the USA, The Declaration of Independence was signed here along with the US Constitution!

EDIT:THOSE TWO DOCUMENTS GAVE US OUR "FREEDOM" AND OUR "RIGHTS". IMPORTANT FOR EVERY AMERICAN, IMMIGRANTS OR NATURAL BORN CITIZENS

MY GUESS IS YOUR SPECIAL GUEST IS YOUR MOM.
    You are right about everything except for my mom part :-)

Nice trip, good for you. If there is anything specific you want to do (or know) when you get here and you want advice or guidance in regards there are quite a few of us that live here so feel free to ask.

I have not done any research yet so I will google map all suggestions and then draw up a driving plan :-)

Let me know all the recommendations :-)

I have a little over $600 in lights that has been sitting in my shopping cart on skylumen for about 2 weeks now waiting on tax return, if you go through St. Louis would you hand deliver?!?!

Enjoy your trip Vinh!

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

Talking Re: Seattle 2 New York City Road Trip March 13-22

What route are you taking? That would help. It really is a great experience to drive across the country. I have done it many, many times. You will love it. Nice time of the year to do it, too.

Make sure you take notes along the way, that is something I wish I had done much more of, and well I don't have to say photos. Also, on an adventure like this, never eat at a chain restaurant, always go local... If it is bad, well, that is part of the journey. NYC has wonderful food, and the locals here on the forum can help you a great deal more with that.

You are right, everyone should see New York City.

In fact, I was there last week for a small photo shoot in Manhattan, and then down to Philadelphia to collect our Philadelphia cat and bring her to the desert. While we were there the Vice President was in town to give a speech to a small group at Independence Hall, so I covered that short trip, a 40 minute speech. It was great to tour Independence Hall with the VP.

Just a thought, since it is so close you may want to drop in on Philadelphia, it really is right next door, and the entire history of the country is there. They also have some fantastic food there as well, it really is a cool city. To be more accurate it was a cold city on this visit. However it is an option open for you should you decide.

Enough about that, I wish to congratulate you on a very wise decision to take a such grand trip, you will love every second of it, and will have no regrets. Please give us reports along the way, if you feel you would like too, I love to hear of others travel adventures.

Good luck,

With all best wishes to both yourself and your traveling companion on what sounds like a fantastic time,

RedLED

PS... "Money spent traveling, is money well spent." -- RedLED, CPF Member
    Last edited by RedLED; 02-10-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Hopefully the weather is better in a month--would be a SH----------TY drive if it's like it is now
    K40Mvn (5k/4k domed/dedome) SR52vn(PDTn/PDTw) P15vn P16vn(PDTw) P12(PDTc) SRT6vn(PDTc) PD35vn(2c domed/PDTn) TX25C2vn V2T S200C2vn(PDTn) TK61(PDTc) LD50vn (PDT)
    M2Xvn (PDTsw) MX25L3 (4k) TN32(PDTc) TN36vn(dedome)

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    I have not done any research yet so I will google map all suggestions and then draw up a driving plan :-)

Let me know all the recommendations :-)
    Lower Manhattan; Liberty Island/Ellis Island (try to get 'Hard Hat' tickets which sellout weeks in advance), 911 Museum, Freedom Tower (have lunch up there), Battery Park, American Museum of the American Indian (free, it's the old British Customs house), Museum of Jewish Heritage (free Wednesdays), Wall Street Area, Frances Tavern (have a beer where George Washington did), South Street Seaport & Historic section. All in proximity and most can be knocked out in a day (a long one )

Midtown; Times Sq., Grand Central Station, NYC Library (it's worth the walk through), catch a Broadway show, Empire State Building, Macys/Bloomingdales, take an architectural walking tour, have a dirty water dog. All in proximity/walking distance, just like above.

Further north you have Central Park, many museums, and Lincoln Center. Also remember St. Paddys day is 3/17. It's the largest parade in the country and will take place along 5th Avenue. It's a very busy day/night as far as bars and restaurants go.

Most don't hit the outer boroughs but if your interested I can make suggestions in regards.
    Last edited by P_A_S_1; 02-09-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    You are right about everything except for my mom part :-)
    Ah,,well, my guess about your Mom was wrong! lol!

I better be right about the rest of the info.!

I have lived in the suburbs of Philadelphia since 1967[wow!! 50 years now!] and before then a town 50 miles away from Philly called Bethlehem,Pa. since 1962!

Besides that, every American High School student should have learned that in their History classes!

hmmm, somebody is flying in to Seattle at 6:25 am Saturday morning on the fourth. This person is riding back to New York in one of your vehicles or a rental.'
    Could it be a female you have been corresponding with from the homeland that is coming to be with the Mighty Vinh?
    If it's your vehicle then you are taking her to live there and giving her one of your cars and you will be coming back alone.
    If you are renting the ride then you are taking her on a tour of the USA and if things go good you will get married under the Statue of Liberty on the 21st or 22nd. Then mr and mrs Nguyen will fly back to Seattle and live happily ever after.
    But then again your rider might be a family member from home that wants to see our country.
    Either way dude I hope Wayne isn't too pissed you will be leaving him alone again. Better give him a raise!

I now clearly visualize a pic posted of you posing with The next Big Thing on the pedestrian walkway of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Have fun and be safe!
    Acebeam two X65Vn, X45vn70.2. Eagletac MX25L4CvnT XP-L. Fenix TK75vnQ70. Manker MK34Vn XPL.
    Nitecore TM06Svn 4 x XHP50.2. Noctigon Meteor M43vn XP-L dd. P60vn Quad XP-L HD 2 cell host Cryos Cu head. Thrunite TN36UTvn, TN42vn.

Quote Originally Posted by P_A_S_1 View Post
    Further north you have Central Park, many museums, and Lincoln Center.
    Vinh, come through central IL. We have a Central Park, boring museums, and all of the ACTUAL Lincoln stuff. Plus you can see miles and miles of cornfields like you've never seen before. Drive past the world's largest corn processing facility. See cows and horses out in the fields. Experience being stopped by a train. Gain an understanding of just how flat the prairies are. Get a real feel for the "red states".

Am I hard selling this enough yet? Hahaha.

Vinh congrats for making the decision to take this trip of a lifetime... I hope it's everything you hope it will be!

Hope you two have a great time and wonderful safe trip.

I would recommend driving through the Rockies but it looks like the route will take you far to the north of us. If you decide to take such a detour, you will be impressed with the natural beauty God created. Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Bella will have a fabulous time and be forever grateful for such a wonderful and thoughtful owner who takes her on a trip to NYC. But poor Wayne, I'm sure he'll get over it.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of wonderful and interesting things to do, see and experience. Good that you're getting help on your trip. I'd advise to use all the information and plan as best you can. Not fun to have lost/wasted days or time due to poor planning. Unless of course it's part of the plan.

vinh when will you be in NYC? I can take the train down and we could meet up for drinks if you want

Definitely in for a NYC meetup with our flashlight hero! Let us know which day(s) you're here and I will clear my schedule!

Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    hmmm, somebody is flying in to Seattle at 6:25 am Saturday morning on the fourth. This person is riding back to New York in one of your vehicles or a rental.'
    Could it be a female you have been corresponding with from the homeland that is coming to be with the Mighty Vinh?
    If it's your vehicle then you are taking her to live there and giving her one of your cars and you will be coming back alone.
    If you are renting the ride then you are taking her on a tour of the USA and if things go good you will get married under the Statue of Liberty on the 21st or 22nd. Then mr and mrs Nguyen will fly back to Seattle and live happily ever after.
    But then again your rider might be a family member from home that wants to see our country.
    Either way dude I hope Wayne isn't too pissed you will be leaving him alone again. Better give him a raise!
    +1

Wow...May be we can meet at a bar somewhere in NYC??? That would be so funnnn! :-)

Keep the suggestions coming. I am going to sit down with my shotgun rider and plan it all out. :-)

I drove from Seattle to NYC area a couple of years back and am now planning the return trip for this summer .
    Looking to buy a LF2XT any age/type/condition. Also very interested in Aleph, Erin, and Tranquility Base stuff, please message me !

Quote Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post
    I drove from Seattle to NYC area a couple of years back and am now planning the return trip for this summer .
    How do you get from Princeton, N.J. to Seattle?!!!

EDIT: I think I understand now! You have stayed in NYC area for a few years now your driving back home?!
    Last edited by Capolini; 02-10-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

Something you may want to consider is to plan your trip for the 10 days, then leave a day or two early. First you have a real long haul, and should something go wrong you will still be good, all it takes is the car to have something or a lost credit card, also on this kind of trip have some emergency cash on you. Just trust me on this. And, if you arrive early you can relax for a day before you hit the town. Or be able to stop at something along the way and not be so worried about staying on a schedule. Just a little built in leasure time. You never know what you will come across on the road, and want to check out.

Since you live in the Seattle area you can go to my favorite luggage maker, Tom Bihn, that I am always talking about, and get something to make the trip easier and more fun.

For or a trip like this, take enough clothes for the entire trip so you are covered, and you don't have to do a wash, then on the day you fly back put your clothes in a box and Fed-Ex them home. This way you have what you need. There is nothing worse than having to do laundry on the road, and at 10 days you will be pretty well packed.

Since the the airlines charge for luggage anyway, I now ship my suitcase to the hotel and back home, and eliminate the airlines from all but my carry on, and it is a great way to travel. Just make sure you can trust the hotel. However, in your case, you are driving the first segment of the trip, and would be shipping outbound to home so you are good. Just don't use the overnight service.

Travel can can be fun, and how you make it a fun, no problem trip is all in the planning. It really is all in the planning. The better you plan, the more enjoyable your trip will be.

Now, GPS...cool, until all of the things that can fail...fail. Go to Wal-Mart and get an atlas, and to AAA so you can have a NYC map. Study them before you depart. You can still use the GPS but, it is nice to have an idea where you are both on the road and in the city. Even the Maps on computers are just not the same as a real map.

Manhattan is easy to get around the streets run east and west while the avenues go north and south. The outer boroughs, I am not very familiar with. However they are great places, too.

I have traveled my entire life, the last almost 40 years on business, which has taken me around the world many times, all on someone else's expense accounts. Which has been wonderful. Plus, I was able to take my wife and daughter around the world.

Hopefully, something here will assist you. There are some other professional travelers here on the forum, I'm sure they will have some good ideas for you.

One more bit of advice, for anyone young is travel now, don't wait until you are older. I'm glad I had the opportunity growing up to have a family that travelled quite a bit, and that I have always been my own boss. Just travel while you are young. It gives you a lifetime of memories, and it is so educational, you learn so much as a traveler. I gained more knowledge traveling than anything I ever did in college.

I know people who are in their 50's just starting to go places, and the world is becoming a much more dangerous place, so see it now, who knows what the future has in store.

That's all for now,

RL
    Last edited by RedLED; 02-10-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    How do you get from Princeton, N.J. to Seattle?!!!

EDIT: I think I understand now! You have stayed in NYC area for a few years now your driving back home?!
    Yep, we move around a bit, but it's getting old. It is a fun cross country trip except for the Chicago area. The Dakotas can also be a little blah.
    Looking to buy a LF2XT any age/type/condition. Also very interested in Aleph, Erin, and Tranquility Base stuff, please message me !

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast