Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
My parents just got a Costco membership and they gave them a bunch of free stuff, one of which was a box of 72 Kirkland AA Alkaline batteries. I tried looking them up but could not find out who makes them. Just curious.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are well rated by Consumer Reports. I buy some to keep for backup use, but have had quite a few leakers. I don't think any other brand would have less leakage at a similar cost & performance.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use AAs, I just saw the Eneloop packages back in Costco on Friday. Slightly cheaper than even the cheapest price I've seen in stores for Duracell Ion Core.

BobbyC777

Newly Enlightened
They are well rated by Consumer Reports. I buy some to keep for backup use, but have had quite a few leakers. I don't think any other brand would have less leakage at a similar cost & performance.

I also recall CR giving them good grades. So when I went to costco.com to check them out and read the reviews I was very surprised. There were 45 reviews for the AA batteries and 40 of them were ONE Star ! They were current reviews. AAA's had similar ratings.

Not sure I've ever seen worse reviews for a product. But I will give Costco credit for publishing them! I wonder if the manufacturer changed?

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
[....] Not sure I've ever seen worse reviews for a product. But I will give Costco credit for publishing them! I wonder if the manufacturer changed?

It seems you missed that the Costco reviews for Duracells are just as poor as those for their Kirkland's, i.e. almost all reviewers gave the lowest rating (1 star) due to complaints about leaking. This is probably due to the fact that the general public (vs. battery aficionados) usually does not bother to leave reviews for mundane products like batteries except in exceptional circumstances, e.g. when they are upset about them leaking and ruining devices.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems you missed that the Costco reviews for Duracells are just as poor as those for their Kirkland's, i.e. almost all reviewers gave the lowest rating (1 star) due to complaints about leaking. This is probably due to the fact that the general public (vs. battery aficionados) usually does not bother to leave reviews for mundane products like batteries except in exceptional circumstances, e.g. when they are upset about them leaking and ruining devices.

My evidence is totally anecdotal, but I find Duracells to be far worse leakers than Energizers. They both suck, but Duracell sucks more.

HKdude

Newly Enlightened
I totally agree with WalkIntoTheLight, if I use Alkalines I plan on them leaking. Heck, they leak in the package!

Seems the smaller batteries are the worst leakers. I have filed a couple claims with Duracell and they paid the current price of the items to replace them. They sometimes ask you to send them the dead item for analysis.

Costco will accept returns for leaking batteries.

Colorado_Cliff

Newly Enlightened
I used Costco AA and AAA batteries for quite a few years but they obviously had a bad batch a few years ago. Those batteries ruined everything I had them in including several small lights, my GPS and a rangefinder. I had to pry them out of a few things and I couldn't repair all the corrosion.

I found one set that started to corrode in a flashlight in only a week.

I won't use them ever again.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh, Costco stories.

~20 years ago my eldest had costco AAs leak in a disc player she had bought elsewhere. Costco gave me some Costco gift certificates with the understanding I would settle up with her (giver her cash).

I wish I had known battery manufacturers did that when my HP 41C got leaked in....

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
Kirkland and Duracell are the worst leakers I've encountered so I'm inclined to think Duracell must be the mfg of Kirkland.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Friends don't let friends use alkalines."

I gifted a warm white Nichia lantern (the new style with diffusely lit panels) to my sister and implored her to remove the cells between blackouts.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kirkland and Duracell are the worst leakers I've encountered so I'm inclined to think Duracell must be the mfg of Kirkland.

Costco sells Kirkland brand and they sell Duracell and not Energizer, Rayovac, or any other brand.

Coincidence?

I think not.

Chris

Jameso

Newly Enlightened

I am a little late to the party on this, however, I wanted to CONFIRM that Duracell batteries from the past 10 years or so to current production are PROBLEM and HABITUAL leakers. I have had more equipment damaged or ruined by Duracell batteries.

I have had some Kirkland batteries leak, not sure if this is more or less of an issue than Duracell, but this might be because I have not purchased as many Kirkland brand batteries.

I recently had a very expensive piece of Fluke test equipment ruined due to batteries that leaked. Luckily I had Rayovac batteries in the device. I happened to check Rayovac website and Rayovac has a Leak-Proof Guarantee which I was unaware of. Rayovac does not require proof of purchase, they base everything ff the battery expiration date printed on the battery. I recently shipped my Fluke device to Rayovac and I am hopeful I will get a satisfactory resolution to the damage due to battery leakage.

http://www.rayovac.com/support/warranties-and-guarantees.aspx

After this incident, I started to look at other battery manufacturers Leakage Warranty/Guarantee. What I found is it appears Rayovac has probably the best overall Leakage Warranty/Guarantee when compared to the other manufacturers. Many manufacturers require proof of purchase for the batteries. I mean come on, how many people keep all their receipts for batteries purchased 5-10 years ago??

But I am starting to LEARN to either remove the batteries from almost all of my devices that have batteries or to spend the additional money on Lithium batteries. If Rayovac comes through with a satisfactory resolution to the damage to my Fluke device, I will likely convert to a Rayovac customer due to their Leak-Proof Guarantee which appears to be better and with less outs when compared to competitors. Why having a proof of purchase for batteries is required seems to be more of a way to get out of a responsibility than anything IMHO.

Hopeful Rayovac will have a good solution to my damaged Fluke device in the next few weeks.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your Fluke, Jameso. If you can use good low self-discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries like the Sanyo Eneloops, I highly recommend that option.

If it uses a 9V battery, there are some NiMH 9V batteries available, but I don't think any of the brands have as reputable as Sanyo. If it takes 9V, I'd probably just spend the extra on lithium cells.

I will be interested to hear your update about how Rayovac handles your warranty claim.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a little late to the party on this, however, I wanted to CONFIRM that Duracell batteries from the past 10 years or so to current production are PROBLEM and HABITUAL leakers. I have had more equipment damaged or ruined by Duracell batteries.

I have had some Kirkland batteries leak, not sure if this is more or less of an issue than Duracell, but this might be because I have not purchased as many Kirkland brand batteries.

The decline of Duracell batteries started after the purchase of Duracell by Berkshire Hathaway. They look at all operations, and cut steps deemed to be too costly.

The lawyers know 99.99% of people aren't going to keep sales receipts. No ticket, no laundry.

Some older devises require higher voltages than generated by NiMH batteries if using AA batteries. For those devises, a primary lithium would be the best choice.

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
My evidence is totally anecdotal, but I find Duracells to be far worse leakers than Energizers. They both suck, but Duracell sucks more.

+1 exactly. That is why I use Lithium primaries in anything that sits around. Years back I ran nothing but Duracells without problems for the most part. Now any Alkaline is going to leak at some point most likely yesterday.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 exactly. That is why I use Lithium primaries in anything that sits around. Years back I ran nothing but Duracells without problems for the most part. Now any Alkaline is going to leak at some point most likely yesterday.

They all leak. It's not like Energizer uses some pixie dust in their offerings and Duracell doesn't.

If you use them, check them often.

Otherwise, use the other choices.

Chris