Imalent        
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

  1. #1
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    131

    Default Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    My parents just got a Costco membership and they gave them a bunch of free stuff, one of which was a box of 72 Kirkland AA Alkaline batteries. I tried looking them up but could not find out who makes them. Just curious.
    SureFire Titan, SureFire Titan Plus, SureFire P2X Fury Tactical, SureFire P3X Fury Tactical, SureFire M600 Ultra Scout Light, Olight S1 Baton, Olight S2 Baton, Olight M3XS-UT, Olight X7.

  2. #2
    *Flashaholic* gunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    7,894

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    Pretty sure they are Duracell. Well rated in thr the past too.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    They are well rated by Consumer Reports. I buy some to keep for backup use, but have had quite a few leakers. I don't think any other brand would have less leakage at a similar cost & performance.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    If you use AAs, I just saw the Eneloop packages back in Costco on Friday. Slightly cheaper than even the cheapest price I've seen in stores for Duracell Ion Core.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by louie View Post
    They are well rated by Consumer Reports. I buy some to keep for backup use, but have had quite a few leakers. I don't think any other brand would have less leakage at a similar cost & performance.
    I also recall CR giving them good grades. So when I went to costco.com to check them out and read the reviews I was very surprised. There were 45 reviews for the AA batteries and 40 of them were ONE Star ! They were current reviews. AAA's had similar ratings.

    Not sure I've ever seen worse reviews for a product. But I will give Costco credit for publishing them! I wonder if the manufacturer changed?

    https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100344142.html

    (scroll down on page & click Reviews)

  6. #6
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,358

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC777 View Post
    [....] Not sure I've ever seen worse reviews for a product. But I will give Costco credit for publishing them! I wonder if the manufacturer changed?
    https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100344142.html

    (scroll down on page & click Reviews)
    It seems you missed that the Costco reviews for Duracells are just as poor as those for their Kirkland's, i.e. almost all reviewers gave the lowest rating (1 star) due to complaints about leaking. This is probably due to the fact that the general public (vs. battery aficionados) usually does not bother to leave reviews for mundane products like batteries except in exceptional circumstances, e.g. when they are upset about them leaking and ruining devices.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 01-14-2018 at 06:30 PM.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss163 View Post
    It seems you missed that the Costco reviews for Duracells are just as poor as those for their Kirkland's, i.e. almost all reviewers gave the lowest rating (1 star) due to complaints about leaking. This is probably due to the fact that the general public (vs. battery aficionados) usually does not bother to leave reviews for mundane products like batteries except in exceptional circumstances, e.g. when they are upset about them leaking and ruining devices.

    My evidence is totally anecdotal, but I find Duracells to be far worse leakers than Energizers. They both suck, but Duracell sucks more.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    I totally agree with WalkIntoTheLight, if I use Alkalines I plan on them leaking. Heck, they leak in the package!

    Seems the smaller batteries are the worst leakers. I have filed a couple claims with Duracell and they paid the current price of the items to replace them. They sometimes ask you to send them the dead item for analysis.

    Costco will accept returns for leaking batteries.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    I used Costco AA and AAA batteries for quite a few years but they obviously had a bad batch a few years ago. Those batteries ruined everything I had them in including several small lights, my GPS and a rangefinder. I had to pry them out of a few things and I couldn't repair all the corrosion.

    I found one set that started to corrode in a flashlight in only a week.

    I won't use them ever again.

  10. #10
    nfetterly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati area, but lots of travel
    Posts
    3,623

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    Ahhh, Costco stories.

    ~20 years ago my eldest had costco AAs leak in a disc player she had bought elsewhere. Costco gave me some Costco gift certificates with the understanding I would settle up with her (giver her cash).

    I wish I had known battery manufacturers did that when my HP 41C got leaked in....


  11. #11
    Flashaholic bwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    Kirkland and Duracell are the worst leakers I've encountered so I'm inclined to think Duracell must be the mfg of Kirkland.

  12. #12
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    1,953

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    My evidence is totally anecdotal, but I find Duracells to be far worse leakers than Energizers. They both suck, but Duracell sucks more.
    This has been my experience as well, but they all leak.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* LEDAdd1ct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,503

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    "Friends don't let friends use alkalines."

    I gifted a warm white Nichia lantern (the new style with diffusely lit panels) to my sister and implored her to remove the cells between blackouts.

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* ChrisGarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    4,987

    Default Re: Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by bwalker View Post
    Kirkland and Duracell are the worst leakers I've encountered so I'm inclined to think Duracell must be the mfg of Kirkland.
    Costco sells Kirkland brand and they sell Duracell and not Energizer, Rayovac, or any other brand.

    Coincidence?

    I think not.

    Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •