Durable headlamp for camping?

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for a headlamp for camping. I've bought a number of them in the past but they have all broken. Usually either the closure mechanism or the battery holder. I'd like to get one that will last.

It doesn't need to be super bright, because I have bright flashlights that I take with me.

I will primarily use it while walking around in the dark and doing camp chores.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the single battery up front type. They tend to be metal and more resilient.

Please specify battery type (AAA, AA, 18650) for more narrowed suggestions.

dirkomatic

Newly Enlightened
If it "doesn't have to be bright," I would recommend the Fenix HL10.

Need just a bit more information to provide a good recommendation, though. Need long life? Need a red light? Rechargeable? Waterproof?

Last edited:

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
Additional information:

Rainproof is necessary, but it doesn't need to be submersible.
Red light isn't something I use.
Any battery format is OK as long as it's rechargeable. I have a bunch of AA and AAA batteries and a few chargers, and a light that uses 18650.
Probably three hours of life is more than enough. I camp with electricity, so I can charge it overnight.

Given the trade-offs between battery life, brightness, and size weight, I would prefer smaller, dimmer, and shorter. But rechargeable is required.

I was looking at the Olight H1R, and it looks really nice. I especially like the magnetic charging base. Based on the product description it sounds like it might switch on in 500 lumens mode and that would be unappealing.

The Fenix HL10 is appealing. I hadn't seen that. I like the way the defuser lens slides into place, and it's only half the cost of the Olight. I like that it's only one modest brightness setting.

The
Petzl Tikka seems to have the same sort of closure that has failed on me on other lights. The screw on caps of the two above seem more appealing (based on looking at photos).

YahFargo

Newly Enlightened
How about the Thrunite TH20? It runs on single AA and is solidly built. It has a 1.6 - 250 lumen range, where the brightness ramps up and down bell-curve style when you hold the button down.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
As for the issue of a durable body I would go with an Armytek Wizard or Tiara. The Fenix HL50 and HP12 are also build tough.

dirkomatic

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Thrunite TH20 and the Fenix HL10. I like them both and it would be a toss up according to features. Fenix HL10 is dimmer, lighter and has a built-in difuser. Thrunite is brighter and heavier, although still light.

PartyPete

Enlightened
The HL10 is a good general use lamp, not a trailblazer by any means but for basic tasks it's a nice, durable, hands free option.

It's very light and comfortable.

I think it's a nice option for someone who just needs a simple, reliable headlamp solution.

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm going to go with the HL10. Small, light, simple, and durable.

Thanks everyone!

colight

Enlightened
Hi PiperBob. It's probably too late already, but it so happened that Fenix just released a new headlamp which may have been what you were looking for. It comes with a built-in battery though, but for your other requirements I think this would have fit the bill.

the Kwan

Newly Enlightened
I have used one of these energizer HD headlamps for camping and general nightime stuff and it is a great 300 lumen lamp with focus beam and red lamp so you dont wake everyone up when you get out of bed for a pee and for a cheap price.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013P5S1KC/