Surefire Aviator users

roger-roger

Enlightened
Although not a pilot I'm looking forward to acquiring a new or NIB A2 *sometime* this year.

- Does the LED secondary light have a significant advantage over the incandescent?

- I've used red lights, but green or blue opens up availability. Any comments on this?

- Recommended model?

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
The leds have the advantage of much longer runtime. And they are not a bright making them the low mode. As for secondary color that's all personal preference. I have both white and red secondaries. The white is the one I carry with me when I choose to carry one. The red is one of my bedside lights. I recommend you find the a2 thread index and read up on the light and it's models and history. Will give you a better idea of what you want specifically.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The A2 is a strange light because everyone would get upset if anyone suggested creating a LED replacement bulb for it, so no one ever did, and now you don't hear about them that much anymore. It is an awesome light, but I sold off my collection of them (about a dozen at one point) and only kept a G, Y/G, and an A2L-RD.

pc_light

Enlightened
+1 on A2 thread index, it's a great resource.

It's an old model but still quite unique being one of the few regulated incandescent lights made. Plus it's way brighter than the stated 50 Lms.

There were several 5mm LED ring options offered by modders at one point (and can still occasionally be found on the Sale/Trade threads) but the only remaining new offering is Koala's Onion Ring. Sounds like it might be something you'd like since it offers the ability to change LED's to whatever color you'd like.

I have these three colors -
- Warm, to serve as a low-low for the incan, extends useful light a long time.
- Red, to preserve night vision (pending/just ordered from Koala)
- Yellow-Green, intended for use with similarly colored Night Vision Devices, but also good for preserving night vision

- UV would probably be good but I have other UV's already.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have quite a few of these .... The A2 is one of my very favorites from SureFire.

I've had white, red, blue, and yellow-green. I think the plain green is the only major version I haven't owned.

Last edited:

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have one A2 and I am a pilot as well. While it is called the "Aviator", I don't really consider it a cockpit friendly flashlight. I prefer something that is easier to use one-handed. What usually happens for me is I go to use the LEDs I end up pushing too hard and blinding myself and others. The 50 lumen main beam is OK, but not great. I used it on a 747 exterior preflight and it gets the job done, but newer LED flashlights do better. Being an incandescent it sucks the batteries and it only uses CR123 primary batteries. That can get expensive. I prefer something that uses 18650s. I can still find bulbs for it, but I don't know how long that supply will last.

I have made some modifications to it.

The first being I installed a Calipsoi ring in with two warm white and one red LED.

The second I purchased one of those devices in that allows use of a bi pin bulb. I was hoping to be able to use off the shelf bi pin bulbs, but it seems to work best with the special bulbs the seller recommends. Those have to be ordered from Hong Kong.

In its day, the A2 was probably a great light. But there are better options now. I keep it for sentimental reasons.

roger-roger

Enlightened
I have one A2 and I am a pilot as well. While it is called the "Aviator", I don't really consider it a cockpit friendly flashlight. I prefer something that is easier to use one-handed. What usually happens for me is I go to use the LEDs I end up pushing too hard and blinding myself and others. The 50 lumen main beam is OK, but not great. I used it on a 747 exterior preflight and it gets the job done, but newer LED flashlights do better. Being an incandescent it sucks the batteries and it only uses CR123 primary batteries. That can get expensive. I prefer something that uses 18650s. I can still find bulbs for it, but I don't know how long that supply will last.

I have made some modifications to it.

The first being I installed a Calipsoi ring in with two warm white and one red LED.

The second I purchased one of those devices in that allows use of a bi pin bulb. I was hoping to be able to use off the shelf bi pin bulbs, but it seems to work best with the special bulbs the seller recommends. Those have to be ordered from Hong Kong.

In its day, the A2 was probably a great light. But there are better options now. I keep it for sentimental reasons.

Thanks for contributing your practical experience.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Don't know about being a good pilot light but it makes a great ghost hunting light! I had and sold mine years ago" a dumb mistake and plan on getting another " it was great for close in work and had the punch to throw when the pucker factor hit😃