key chain vs. cell phone

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
I used to carry a key chain flashlight. I was thinking about that this morning on our walk and realized that now my cell phone covers the basic function of a key chain light -- I used my phone to light up the zipper on my wife's jacket.

For those who still carry a key chain flashlight and who also carry a phone with a flashlight function, what advantages do you perceive the flashlight as having? I'm sure there are some, and once I know what they are I can more easily justify getting one ;-)

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light on your phone is only good for short uses when you have access to a charging point, but in an emergency do you really want to empty the battery of you comunication device using it as a flashlight, I always carry at least two 1xAAA flashlight`s and spare battery`s

Check out the ultratac k18 1xAAA flashlight avalible in aliminum in varoius colours or in solid brass or solid stanless steel, I have 2 of the stanless steel version they are only £23 each or £20 for the aluminum version.

John.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never use the light app in my phone. Too mutch clicking and swiping to find the app and activate it. So the keychain light is way faster. And keychain lights can provide far more lumen, and lux. The phone "flash" are not designed to use for longer periods, no cooling to the led. And last, most phones arent waterproof, so in a rainy day, its not that healthy to walk around with the phone out.

ven

Flashaholic
I would never rely on my phone for a light, too inconvenient using a large phone and faffing to press it to turn on in the dark. What if your on the phone and you need to find something, always better to have more than one option. Key chain lights are always with me, as they are with my car keys and house keys................i can not forget it! So much more user friendly for me to have a little light in my pocket............Also easier to dial an ideal output with a small light, not a set bright level on a phone.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
The light on your phone is only good for short uses when you have access to a charging point, but in an emergency do you really want to empty the battery of you comunication device using it as a flashlight[...]

John.
Bingo. That (for me, of course... I speak only for myself) right there is all the reason necessary. The phone is an emergency communications tool. The flashlight functions I have seen on phones (even those that allow you to dim the light) do a completely AWFUL job of sparing the battery, and just suck that thing dry in (comparatively) no time. Having a separate light with a separate power source lets you be as liberal with the light as you need to be, while conserving power for the communication device.

There are many options for keychain lights, powered by coin cells, AAA cells, AA cells, and proprietary built-in cells, and the prices range from dirt-cheap to hold-on-to-your-wallet (just like any other class of light discussed here, of course).

It's your pocket, your keychain, and your cell phone; you decide.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I think a cell phone light will last for a long time. Someplace on CPF the numbers were run unless mistaken. I have used my cell phone light before and no not every situation is a zombie outbreak or hurricane. Most tool uses are actually mundane normal stuff or at least for me. That said I EDC a flashlight, knife, phone and whenever possible a firearm.

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
I guess I'm one of those weird people that doesn't carry a cell phone every moment of everyday but I always carry a light of some kind whether it's on my keyring or in my pocket.Why not carry both?

Slightchance

Newly Enlightened
I don't like using my cellphone as a light because it is a lot more fragile than a flashlight.

Also cheaper/easier to replace or repair in most cases.

A flashlight in my pocket is more convenient to me than one on my keychain, so I rarely have one on there anymore

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I use my phone screen sometimes (to find a flashlight) but rarely the lamp part.

I even put a certain background on the screen to cause it to put out a bit more... mili-blumens.

But hey, there is nothing wrong with using the flashlight part if that gets the job done. At 2am they are actually pretty bright to adapted eyes.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I don't always walk around with my cell phone or my keys. I do have a Photon Freedom on a small lanyard that I do carry almost all the time. Just the other day I went to use the facilities out on a job site. I left my phone and keys on the desk and walked to the restroom trailer, one with no windows. Well there was an unplanned interruption of the construction power. Score another save for the Photon.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The comparative ease of turning on a flashlight would have to be the big advantage in my mind.

Durability, water resistance, cost (including replacement cost if you do break it while using it as a light), beam pattern (especially with respect to throw), ergonomics, mode levels, and total output (especially with a lithium-ion powered light like a 10180, 10440, Nitecore Tip, or Manker LAD) are all other reasons relevant to me.

Plus, if you already have to pay attention to battery life not to charge part way through the day, using a dedicated flashlight avoids the inconvenience of extra time spent charging your phone.

And when you use a dedicated flashlight, you can still do other stuff on your phone *while* using the light.

Bucur

Enlightened
...For those who still carry a key chain flashlight and who also carry a phone with a flashlight function, what advantages do you perceive the flashlight as having? ...

IMO, one does not need a particular reason for using the flashlight as a lighting tool and the phone as a communications device when he/she has both at his/her disposal. I would –have to- use the flashlight function of my phone if I was not carrying a flashlight.

Similarly, when my phone and computer are both on my desk, I use my computer for writing e-mails or forum posts. For me, the ability of my phone to write e-mails or posts is for when I am deprived of a better way of doing so.

:laughing:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's easier to hold a keychain sized light in your mouth, freeing both hands, than hold a cell phone in your mouth. ;)

ven

Flashaholic
It's easier to hold a keychain sized light in your mouth, freeing both hands, than hold a cell phone in your mouth. ;)

Maybe , but a phone does come in handy for keeping the boss quiet :D....no key chain light for her!