New to incandescent lights

rubanite

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to flashlight collecting in general, about a year now, but I find it hard to really get into incandescent lights compared to LED. I really like them on a personal level. I love the feel and the look of the lights and the simplicity of them. Just off and on, no different modes or functions. So trusty and reliable. But its so hard to find anything using this bulb that isn't a crappy little dollar store light. I do have a few Maglites and a Princeton Tech diving light that I think is a really solid light. I have yet to get a surefire but that has mainly been a price thing as of late.

I wish there was more diversity in products and design for these lights but this may be due to my lack of resources on the subjects.

I realize Im not gonna get the same variety and intensity as LED's due to the market and the way technology is moving but does anyone have any recommendations for brands and or models for incandescent lights?

Also any sites or stores you can recommend that has a good solid selection?

archimedes

Flashaholic
SureFire A2 have been selling secondhand for much less these days .... One of the best incandescent flashlights ever made, I'd say :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Brinkmann. Look up Brinkmann MaxFire. They're relatively cheap at amazon and are nice little plastic 6 volt SureFire G2 style numbers with a better beam. Other Brinkmann lights mimic Mags. But you can find a wide selection at eBay.

Speaking of G2, they run in the $30 some range with SureFire quality. Check out eBay or Amazon.

Now that LED is even used on $1.99 e10 style lights they are here to stay. (E is for edison screw in 10 is for mm). So finding even the least expensive that still use incan is getting less likely.

I found 2aa Rayovac industrials for like $5 or less and they can use bi-pin mini mag bulbs when time to replace it. And for a 2 aa they incan they are pretty bright.

Incans are out there, you just have to find new old stock.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
LOL
Well.....

Less of the stuff LED fans call out like the dark spots and filament shadow.

First through the wall always ends up bloody Scout. So once PK had invented the wheel it was easy for others to make it roll smoother. Now clamping it to a shotgun would likely result in darkness versus the P60. It's not your fathers weapon light for certain, but yeah the beam is pretty good.

scout24

Flashaholic
Order placed. Can't wait to see the comparison. I love the P60 beam, how's the color temp compare? Whiter or more yellow? I won't tell you how many spare P60 bulbs I have here...

Last edited:

rubanite

Newly Enlightened
If you tell us how bright a flashlight is good for your need, what size and price range, you will get better advices.
I'm looking for something less than 100 bones for now. As far as output I'm not picky. I don't mind the low lumin stuff as long as the light and beam look good.

rubanite

Newly Enlightened
Brinkmann. Look up Brinkmann MaxFire. They're relatively cheap at amazon and are nice little plastic 6 volt SureFire G2 style numbers with a better beam. Other Brinkmann lights mimic Mags. But you can find a wide selection at eBay.

Speaking of G2, they run in the $30 some range with SureFire quality. Check out eBay or Amazon.

Now that LED is even used on $1.99 e10 style lights they are here to stay. (E is for edison screw in 10 is for mm). So finding even the least expensive that still use incan is getting less likely.

I found 2aa Rayovac industrials for like $5 or less and they can use bi-pin mini mag bulbs when time to replace it. And for a 2 aa they incan they are pretty bright.

Incans are out there, you just have to find new old stock.
That surefire looks nice. Real nice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Order placed. Can't wait to see the comparison. I love the P60 beam, how's the color temp compare? Whiter or more yellow? I won't tell you how many spare P60 bulbs I have here...

Uh oh! Didn't mean to throw down the gauntlet.

Tie goes to the P60 but I think you'll be pleased.

That surefire looks nice. Real nice.

The G2 was a super nice light. If you decide to go LED a Malkoff M60NL puts out a gorgeous beam in it.

rubanite

Newly Enlightened
Uh oh! Didn't mean to throw down the gauntlet.

Tie goes to the P60 but I think you'll be pleased.

The G2 was a super nice light. If you decide to go LED a Malkoff M60NL puts out a gorgeous beam in it.
Look at that hot spot!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
When someone types New to incan lights and surefire, that usually means: 6P
When cost US also mentionned, then it means: rechargeable.

Then it means: Streamlight Scorpion 18650, running with Strion bulb.
Nothing in that size/power comes near, for sure no 6p

Good alternative:
One of fivemegas 18650 e. Bodies, a E head and one of tad customs bulb holders + bulb

But never ever compare anything of this with a led that runs on the same power. :)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good alternative:
One of fivemegas 18650 e. Bodies, a E head and one of tad customs bulb holders + bulb

+1
If you can find an unmodified E-series Elite head, they're usually pretty affordable. Along with a Tad Customs E-socket and lamps, and one of fivemega's E-series thread compatible bodies, or a UBH host, or a Malkoff E-series thread compatible host (one ; two ; three ; four. ; when they're in stock) it isn't too difficult to get in under $100 total.

But don't forget MagLite Mini Mags can still be had for less, and they are still respectable, and that CPF members have figured out an easy way to modify the very affordable incan Solitaire to put out just as much light as their double-celled big brothers.

But never ever compare anything of this with a led that runs on the same power. :)

Agreed, LED electroluminescence simply doesn't compare to the ambiance of incandescent light quality, spill effectiveness, color temperature, color rendition, and throw.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Scorpion 18650, running with Strion bulb
just because I found an old sales thread mentionning that:

Fivemega NOW! still has ONE of his Streamlight Scorpion 18650 models AVAILABLE!