14x CREE XM-L T6 LEDs headlamp mod

pinpoint

Newly Enlightened
I`ve thinking of buying a 14x CREE XM-L T6 LEDs headlamp like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/37179491568...49&var=640798864203&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I know that 34000LM is totally bogus on these china lamps and not realistic, however since it is 14 spots, i hope that you can get som more lumen out of this by modding it.
I`ve read on the forum and elsewhere several threads about this, and I understand that each CREE XM-L T6 led has the potential of around 900 lumen max running on 1Amp, though I`m sure the led driver supplied with this light does not support 14 Amps.

Let`s say I run all leds on 900 lumen I have the potential to get 12.600 lumen from this lamp. However thinking of the heat produced and the fact that it is going to be run on batteries, running >10.000 lumen may not be possible.
In reality, how many mA and lumen can I expect to run each led light? I may have to put in a small heat sink connected to the leds.

My second question is which driver should I put in it? Something like this running up to 7Amps?
http://www.topledlight.com/led-driver-input-3v18v-for-phlatlight-luminus-sst90-led-light_p1235.html
?
Or should I get two drivers etc. 5Amps, each driver connected to 7 leds ?

pinpoint

Newly Enlightened
Of course. My mistake. 3 amps for 900 lumen. How many amps can i run them on when i'm thinking of using the lamp for hours without extensive cooling?

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
I highly doubt that light has 14 Cree xml"s in it, they will more than probably be LatticeBright xm clones.
Even if you bought 14 Cree xml"s & reflowed them heat would be a massive problem, assuming you could drive them.
Even if the 14 leds, either what it comes with or 14 real Cree leds were driven at just 1A each that would only give you a run time on high on that 15,000mah battery pack (I also highly doubt that the battery pack is 15,000mah) of around an hour max.
Personally I would look for another light :whistle:

Last edited:

pinpoint

Newly Enlightened
Ok, how about changing each led to etc. U2, change the driver and the battery to original 18650 batteries, put in 8 pack?
I have basic soldering skills, how difficult can that be? :)

pinpoint

Newly Enlightened
How many lumens do you think the headlamp will give as it is? In theory I could change to a 20A driver (each LED running 1.5Amps). Maybe I could get 6000 lumens by just changing the driver. That would be much cheaper as a 6000 lumen light will cost alot of money here.

Last edited:

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
Ok, how about changing each led to etc. U2, change the driver and the battery to original 18650 batteries, put in 8 pack?
I have basic soldering skills, how difficult can that be? :)

Surely by the time you have bought 14 genuine Cree leds, a new driver & 8 good cells to make a new pack it will have cost you the amount of buying a good quality light to start with.
Also you will still have a poor quality lamp housing even after all that.
What is this light to be used for & why do you need such a high lumen ?

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
How many lumens do you think the headlamp will give as it is? In theory I could change to a 20A driver (each LED running 1.5Amps). Maybe I could get 6000 lumens by just changing the driver. That would be much cheaper as a 6000 lumen light will cost alot of money here.

Depending on the driver, wire guages used etc maybe 2-3000 lumens.
Even if you increase the lumens output how do you intend to the shed the heat that will be produced ?
Even the best high power lights tend to have a thermal step down from high after a few minutes & even 6000 lumens in that housing will produce a massive amount of heat & no matter how you try to dissipate heat will probably only be able to be maintained for a few minutes at most.

pinpoint

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your answers. I plan to use it when mountain alpine skiing when it`s pitch dark. I was thinking of making my own cheap light and maybe spend most money on battery pack. I know there is a 12000 lumen headlight with external cooling, but it`s quite expensive (around 1000 USD), and only gives 1 hour of light on maximum. I probalby don`t need that much lumen anyways. I would need to be able to run it for 3-4 hours on a 8 cell 18650 battery pack. I see alot of articles of people switching the driver and manages to increase the brightness and I was thinking about doing the same (without increasing heat that much, maybe put in a heat sink)

Last edited:

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
You do realise that 12000 lumens is the same sort of output as having 12 car headlights on high beam on your head don"t you ?
I know nothing about alpine skiing but are you sure you need that sort of output ?
I know that mountain bikers who are travelling at a fair old speed use a lot less than that sort of output & seem to manage fine ?

pinpoint

Newly Enlightened
Haha. I guess 12 000 is too much then :p I guess somewhere between 3000-6000 lumen is sufficient then. If I can get that out of that china lamp for around 30 USD I`ll be happy. I`ll just put in some good original batteries instead

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
Your run time versus lumens on an 8 x 18650 battery pack will give you nowhere near the results you are looking for even if you can find some way of handling the heat well.

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
I don"t want to shoot down your ideas but that is a pretty poor cheap Chinese lamp, with fake emitters, probably with an awful tint & horrible beam, poor driver & internals, poor heat sinking, poor build & poor battery pack.
I really would not be wasting even $30 on it myself.
Far better to up your budget & buy a better quality set up to start with IMHO.
Out of interest what do you use now for night skiing & do you have any friends with the same interest that you could ask what they are using ?

pinpoint

Newly Enlightened
I see your point. Until now I`ve only gone out skiing when the sun is up. I`ve only used a headlamp with a few hundereds of lumen just in case if it gets dark. A friend of mine bought a lamp on 1000 lumen for 240 usd but the light it gives is just too low.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don"t want to shoot down your ideas but that is a pretty poor cheap Chinese lamp, with fake emitters, probably with an awful tint & horrible beam, poor driver & internals, poor heat sinking, poor build & poor battery pack.
I really would not be wasting even $30 on it myself.
Far better to up your budget & buy a better quality set up to start with IMHO.
Out of interest what do you use now for night skiing & do you have any friends with the same interest that you could ask what they are using ?

And I certainly wouldn't be wearing that crap on top of my head.

Remember all of the cheap Chinese knock-off hover boards catching fire?

Yeah...that's what I want to do...wear a cheap 12 zillion lumen 20A light on top of my head while skiing at night in the alpine back country.

Way to go champ and good luck.

Make sure your life insurance premiums are paid up before you go!

The only good thing about it is that all of your buddies will be able to spot you skiing down the mountain, once your head bursts into flames.

Chris

Last edited:

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
I see your point. Until now I`ve only gone out skiing when the sun is up. I`ve only used a headlamp with a few hundereds of lumen just in case if it gets dark. A friend of mine bought a lamp on 1000 lumen for 240 usd but the light it gives is just too low.

Where do you live as $240 is an awful lot of money for a 1000 lumen headlamp.
You can buy good quality 1000 lumen headlamps for around $50-$60 & $120-$140 should get you something like a 1500 lumen Olight H35 Wave which is a very bright & very well made lamp.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha. I guess 12 000 is too much then[emoji14]I guess somewhere between 3000-6000 lumen is sufficient then. If I can get that out of that china lamp for around 30 USD I`ll be happy. I`ll just put in some good original batteries instead
This is one of those "to each his own" but this is a scenario where I would not want to overdo it on lumens.

Snow is very reflective of course, and if the light is floody, you'll have 3000 lumens bounced right back at you, making it so you can't see things more than several meters out as your eyes will adjust to the bright reflection.

Throw is useful as it let's you aim the lumens down the hill, but then you'll be blind to things to the sides. And the moment you look down, you'll be reflecting back at yourself again.

If I could build it, I would pick a single xhp50 for an led. Around 2200 or so lumens would be plenty for balance; there'd be a hotspot but not much of one, and it would be a single led to cool. I would not want 6000 or 10000 lumens on my head in the snow on board or skis. I would blind myself quickly but accidentally. Maybe on a snowmobile I'd take more lumens but that's it.

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
Personally I would have a thought that a mountain biking type light would be suitable for your use or a good powerful headlamp like the Olight I mentioned (plenty of others out there as well).
Either one would be available at a lot lot less than the $240 (probably half or less) you mention your friend paid for a 1000 lumen lamp.
Out of interest what 1000 lumen light did your friend pay $240 for ?
If you go for NW or WW rather than CW leds that might be a little better for your use also as I would imagine CW in a snowy environment would be quite harsh.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I would have a thought that a mountain biking type light would be suitable for your use or a good powerful headlamp like the Olight I mentioned (plenty of others out there as well).
Either one would be available at a lot lot less than the $240 (probably half or less) you mention your friend paid for a 1000 lumen lamp.
Out of interest what 1000 lumen light did your friend pay $240 for ?
If you go for NW or WW rather than CW leds that might be a little better for your use also as I would imagine CW in a snowy environment would be quite harsh.
I'd second that as well. Go NW.