Fujitsu FTC345-AU same as Sanyo NC-MQN06?

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered a Fujitsu battery bundle that came with a FTC345-AU charger. I have used my LaCrosse BC900 charger for my Eneloops and kept a Sanyo NC-MQN06 charger, that came with a Eneloop bundle, as a backup charger. Until now I have only used the LaCrosse charger. I recently started using many more NI-NH batteries in four trail cameras so need to charge more than 4 batteries at a time so I also recently picked up a XTAR VC4 charger. Now that I have four chargers. I plan to charge my NI-MH batteries in the chargers in the following priority:
1 LaCrosse BC900
2 XTAR VC4
3 Sanyo NC-MQN06
4 Fujitsu FTC345-AU
Is this the best use of the chargers I have? Or is the Fujitsu FTC345-AU a better charger than the Sanyo NC-MQN06?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered a Fujitsu battery bundle that came with a FTC345-AU charger. I have used my LaCrosse BC900 charger for my Eneloops and kept a Sanyo NC-MQN06 charger, that came with a Eneloop bundle, as a backup charger. Until now I have only used the LaCrosse charger. I recently started using many more NI-NH batteries in four trail cameras so need to charge more than 4 batteries at a time so I also recently picked up a XTAR VC4 charger. Now that I have four chargers. I plan to charge my NI-MH batteries in the chargers in the following priority:
1 LaCrosse BC900
2 XTAR VC4
3 Sanyo NC-MQN06
4 Fujitsu FTC345-AU
Is this the best use of the chargers I have? Or is the Fujitsu FTC345-AU a better charger than the Sanyo NC-MQN06?

I have a LaCrosse BC-700 and the Xtar VC4. My BC-700 has a charging rate of only 700mAx4 and I think that the BC-900 charges 4 at a higher rate, so that might be faster for you.

The Xtar VC4 is a bit sensitive to good USB 5v power supplies, so if you have one, like an Apple 12w OEC wall wart, then you might get 500mAx4, but in my experience, I might get closer to 360mAx4, although the charger has hit published rates in my experience.

The Sanyo NC-MQN06 is not the fast charging NC-MQRO6 Eneloop charger, IIRC and charges up at 300mAx4, if my numbers are correct.

I can't find any data on the Fujitsu charger, on Google, so I can't help.

You can run all three of them and get a good, safe charge for 12 batteries and then have the Fujitsu in you need 16 for a batch.

Chris

Last edited:

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
I have a LaCrosse BC-700 and the Xtar VC4. My BC-700 has a charging rate of only 700mAx4 and I think that the BC-900 charges 4 at a higher rate, so that might be faster for you.

The Xtar VC4 is a bit sensitive to good USB 5v power supplies, so if you have one, like an Apple 12w OEC wall wart, then you might get 500mAx4, but in my experience, I might get closer to 360mAx4, although the charger has hit published rates in my experience.

The Sanyo NC-MQN06 is not the fast charging NC-MQRO6 Eneloop charger, IIRC and charges up at 300mAx4, if my numbers are correct.

I can't find any data on the Fujitsu charger, on Google, so I can't help.

You can run all three of them and get a good, safe charge for 12 batteries and then have the Fujitsu in you need 16 for a batch.

Chris

I picked up a 3.1W wall wart for the Xtar VC4 so it should have enough power?
My Eneloops have been strong over the years using the LaCrosse BC900 but I usually baby them by charging them at 500mA. I really trust the BC900 but now there will be times I'll need to charge 26 AA's and I'll have to at least trust the Xtar VC4 and bump the charge rate up to 700-1000 mA. From all I have read the lower the charge rate the better? That's why I tried to limit to 500mA but now I have to speed things up. OR buy more batteries so I can charge the 26 AA's four at a time @500mA on the LaCrosse BC900 like I have been doing. I originally got the Xtar VC4 to charge 14500 Li-Ion's for my Thrunite Neutron 2A. I'm a little nervous how well the Xtar VC4 will treat my Ni-Mh cells. Another option is to get another LaCrosse maybe a BC700. OR another charger any suggestions?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a 3.1W wall wart for the Xtar VC4 so it should have enough power?
My Eneloops have been strong over the years using the LaCrosse BC900 but I usually baby them by charging them at 500mA. I really trust the BC900 but now there will be times I'll need to charge 26 AA's and I'll have to at least trust the Xtar VC4 and bump the charge rate up to 700-1000 mA. From all I have read the lower the charge rate the better? That's why I tried to limit to 500mA but now I have to speed things up. OR buy more batteries so I can charge the 26 AA's four at a time @500mA on the LaCrosse BC900 like I have been doing. I originally got the Xtar VC4 to charge 14500 Li-Ion's for my Thrunite Neutron 2A. I'm a little nervous how well the Xtar VC4 will treat my Ni-Mh cells. Another option is to get another LaCrosse maybe a BC700. OR another charger any suggestions?

The LC BC-900 can charge at a max rate of 1A for four slots. This 1A rate is what most of us charge our NiMH AA batteries up at...most of us. I don't know if your unit gets hot at 1A and shuts down thermally, like my BC-700 often does charging at 700mA?

The Apple charging block is which model and at what amperage? My 12w will do 2.4A at 5v, which is 12w.

I can't tell you whether you'll actually see 500x4 on the VC4, as you'll just have to start a timer and watch the mAh going in, to get an idea.

Maha likes us to charge at at least .3C, which for a 2000mAh Eneloop, is at least 600mA to help heat the batteries up and get to that termination point. I've had my VC4 and my BC-700 miss termination in the past, so try and charge your batteries up at the highest rate you can, without melting them.

The BC chargers, I think, shut down at 140*F, so while not a great thing to have happen, it at least keeps them from getting hotter. I don't think the VC4 has that thermal circuitry.

I wish that I had bought another Maha C9000 instead of my BC-700. It's a better NiMH charger than just about any of the others, but that's just my opinion.

Chris

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
The LC BC-900 can charge at a max rate of 1A for four slots. This 1A rate is what most of us charge our NiMH AA batteries up at...most of us. I don't know if your unit gets hot at 1A and shuts down thermally, like my BC-700 often does charging at 700mA?

The Apple charging block is which model and at what amperage? My 12w will do 2.4A at 5v, which is 12w.

I can't tell you whether you'll actually see 500x4 on the VC4, as you'll just have to start a timer and watch the mAh going in, to get an idea.

Maha likes us to charge at at least .3C, which for a 2000mAh Eneloop, is at least 600mA to help heat the batteries up and get to that termination point. I've had my VC4 and my BC-700 miss termination in the past, so try and charge your batteries up at the highest rate you can, without melting them.

The BC chargers, I think, shut down at 140*F, so while not a great thing to have happen, it at least keeps them from getting hotter. I don't think the VC4 has that thermal circuitry.

I wish that I had bought another Maha C9000 instead of my BC-700. It's a better NiMH charger than just about any of the others, but that's just my opinion.

Chris

I would suggest using a Powerex MH-C801D or MH-800S 8-Cell Charger if you need to do 8 cells at a time.

My LaCrosse BC900 will charge @ 200, 500, 700, 1000 with 4 cells and 1500 or 1800 with 2 cells. I used to charge all my cells AA & AAA at 200mA until last year where I read about some chargers missing termination at less than 500mA. That's when I started charging at 500mA. But I never had a missed termination with years of 200mA charging. Before I got the Xtar VC4 I was considering the Opus BT-C3100 but found a good deal on the Xtar VC4. If I get another charger I want to get one that will also charge Li-Ion cells. I'm starting to use some Li-Ions. The price of the Opus BT-C3100 has come down so I could get two for the price of one Powerex MH-C801D. I like what I have read so far about the Opus BT-C3100 and really like that it has a fan to keep things cool. I'm leaning into getting a Opus BT-C3100 unless the Maha C9000 or Powerex chargers are definitely better for the investment of NiMh cells I have.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817109037

Works fine. Seems very similar to the Panasonic/Eneloop "smart fast" chargers except indicator lights are red instead of green. This charger may be a little too fast for old/crappy NiMH cells, especially when charging only 1 or 2 (higher charge rate) but works great with Eneloops.

Don't know about the Sanyo NC-MQN06, is it one of the older chargers that only charges in pairs? (2 or 4 cells only).......if so I would retire it, because it will always under charge one cell and over charge the other.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm starting to use some Li-Ions. The price of the Opus BT-C3100 has come down so I could get two for the price of one Powerex MH-C801D. I like what I have read so far about the Opus BT-C3100 and really like that it has a fan to keep things cool. I'm leaning into getting a Opus BT-C3100 unless the Maha C9000 or Powerex chargers are definitely better for the investment of NiMh cells I have.

I have a lot of chargers, including a Opus BT-3400 v. 2.2 and it's a nice charger. I perhaps like the more elegant Maha C9000, better, for NiMH batteries, but I just had the Opus out charging up some AAs a couple of days back and it works fine on them.

Now, the question at hand is whether you're better off going with something like the Maha 808M, which can do 2A and 1A rates for all 8 slots, does D and C sizes, does some minor conditioning and is well regarded for about $100 US vs. two Opus BT-3400 v. 2.2 chargers, which are well regarded, do li-ion cells and are analyzing chargers.

Flipping a coin, you're going to be better off with the Opus chargers, either the BT-3100 v. 2.2, or 3.1, IF you're planning on getting into li-ions. If you're strictly wanting something dedicated to NiMH batteries for your game cams, you might be able to find two Maha C9000s for $100 US and that might be the better play, since they're 12vdc chargers and you can run them in the car, or off of 12vdc solar panels (Opus as well) once the zombies invade and the grid goes down.

Finally, if you want to eliminate counter clutter, then the 808M would be the way I'd go if I wasn't into the analyzing stuff, but wanted quality and quantity charging for my NiMH AAs/AAAs.

Chris

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
I have a lot of chargers, including a Opus BT-3400 v. 2.2 and it's a nice charger. I perhaps like the more elegant Maha C9000, better, for NiMH batteries, but I just had the Opus out charging up some AAs a couple of days back and it works fine on them.

Now, the question at hand is whether you're better off going with something like the Maha 808M, which can do 2A and 1A rates for all 8 slots, does D and C sizes, does some minor conditioning and is well regarded for about $100 US vs. two Opus BT-3400 v. 2.2 chargers, which are well regarded, do li-ion cells and are analyzing chargers.

Flipping a coin, you're going to be better off with the Opus chargers, either the BT-3100 v. 2.2, or 3.1, IF you're planning on getting into li-ions. If you're strictly wanting something dedicated to NiMH batteries for your game cams, you might be able to find two Maha C9000s for $100 US and that might be the better play, since they're 12vdc chargers and you can run them in the car, or off of 12vdc solar panels (Opus as well) once the zombies invade and the grid goes down.

Finally, if you want to eliminate counter clutter, then the 808M would be the way I'd go if I wasn't into the analyzing stuff, but wanted quality and quantity charging for my NiMH AAs/AAAs.

Chris

At this point my plan is to get a Opus BT-C3100 & LaCrosse BC-700. But I'm going to do some more reading before I make my final decision. I thought about getting a Maha C9000 instead of the LaCrosse BC-700, but since I charge at the 500 mA rate the I can't see that the C9000 is worth the extra $20. Unless the C9000 has a better battery reconditioning ability than the LaCrosse or Opus. Plus with my Lacrosse BC-900 I have been able to bring back to live some 15 year old gumstick NiMh batteries I use in my MiniDisk recorder/players. Recovering those OLD/DEAD gumstick batteries I had given up for dead really impressed me on the LaCrosse's. This way I'll have three chargers with battery reconditioning ability.

You got me thinking about solar panels. All I have now is a cheap solar charger I got years ago from Harbor Freight.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this point my plan is to get a Opus BT-C3100 & LaCrosse BC-700. But I'm going to do some more reading before I make my final decision. I thought about getting a Maha C9000 instead of the LaCrosse BC-700, but since I charge at the 500 mA rate the I can't see that the C9000 is worth the extra $20. Unless the C9000 has a better battery reconditioning ability than the LaCrosse or Opus. Plus with my Lacrosse BC-900 I have been able to bring back to live some 15 year old gumstick NiMh batteries I use in my MiniDisk recorder/players. Recovering those OLD/DEAD gumstick batteries I had given up for dead really impressed me on the LaCrosse's. This way I'll have three chargers with battery reconditioning ability.

You got me thinking about solar panels. All I have now is a cheap solar charger I got years ago from Harbor Freight.

I bought my LC BC-700 and my Maha C9000 at the same time, 5 years ago this month.

I wish I would have just bought two C9000s at the time.

The Maha C9000 over the La Crosse BC-700...all day, everyday.

It's a better charger in just about every way, except physical size.

Chris