AN/VSS-3 XENON Spotlight

Michael_Westen

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at buying an AN/VSS-3 XENON Spotlight, but it does not come with cabling or control unit. Does anyone know where I could find the cabling or control unit? Thanks!!!!!

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
I own a VSS-3 and a VSS-1. The cables are probably going to be your biggest headache, in more ways than one. Cost, and/or availability. There used to be a thread here I think on someone making the cable(s). The connectors are made out of rare metal known as unobtainium. You'll pay dearly.
The control box- I have seen them on an un-named auction site. Be careful, the two lights take different control boxes. And, as I recall, no, you cannot make one work for the other light. Bulbs-----I never really looked for an extra, but I do think they are out there from time to time.

BVH

Flashaholic
Control boxes are the most difficult item to find. I've seen only one on Ebay in the last two years and I picked it up to make a complete unit. I believe you can use the -3A box on both lights but you cannot use the -3 on a -3A light. Or it's vice-versa. Cables you can make yourself if you're good at soldering but they will cost around $400-500 for connectors and cable/wire. Lamps can be found once is a while. Depending on how your light was handled, it may have a broken lamp already. They have a very poor survival rate when shipped installed.

Start here if you have not read this thread. Lots of it is old but still useful.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...c-Tank-Light&p=1086685&viewfull=1#post1086685

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
<GIGGITY>

I just picked up my VSS-3 today! :D

it's still in the car as a matter of fact...
RE: Cables... PLS SEE BVH or Myself for custom cable builds. If we don't have it, between us, we can build it for ya. :)

Bulbs.... well... i MIGHT have 1 or 2 kicking around that i COULD part with, heheh

you Might contact Member LarryK and see if he has a spare control box kicking around.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I've done 5 sets of VSS-xx cables and honestly, I'm tired of doing them. I do know a good source for the Amphenol connectors. And McMaster-Carr has the very fine stranded, Orange jacketed Carol cable in 4 AWG. Pricey but very flexible and high current carrying. Then for the overall 23 conductor cable, I have a source for the outer sheathe heat shrink fabric.