Newbie with a Marchal Driving Light Question

mkbug

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a set of Marchal 662 762 driving lights. I fell in love with the look of them. A perfect fit for my rally inspired preservation of a 1957 VW Bug.

In take them apart to wire them I found there was a difference in the bulbs and holders.

d26029a2-94cf-4da1-8662-819a0ebea1b7_zps7crp76kb.jpg
0cdefe33-463a-4fa6-b843-afec97412988_zpslczjvjq8.jpg

So I want to solve this issue - where can I purchase the correct holders and bulbs or retro fit for a modern setup?

Thanks In Advance
Martin

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
I recently purchased a set of Marchal 662 762 driving lights. I fell in love with the look of them. A perfect fit for my rally inspired preservation of a 1957 VW Bug.
Very nifty find!

Probably if (Moderator) -Virgil- doesn't know where to begin, Daniel Stern at danielsternlighting.com sure would. It looks to me like it's just a mismatched "pair" of nominally 662 762 from differing model years, perhaps.

The upper lamp looks like it use the H1; the lower the BA21s.

Last edited:

mkbug

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Very nifty find!

Probably if (Moderator) -Virgil- doesn't know where to begin, Daniel Stern at danielsternlighting.com sure would. It looks to me like it's just a mismatched "pair" of nominally 662 762 from differing model years, perhaps.

The upper lamp looks like it use the H1; the lower the BA21s.

Thanks for the Welcome - From this forum I did learn about Daniel Stern. I've emailed him and am waiting for a response. That was a few days ago.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Those are completely different kinds of lamps. The first pic shows a halogen (H1) bulb, and the second pic shows a much older tungsten bulb. There is no swapping of bulb holders to convert one kind to the other. Do you intend to actually use these lights for night driving, or are they purely for looks?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you intend to actually use these lights for night driving, or are they purely for looks?
I'd guessed it was for looks-- but it does bear reinforcing to the OP that they are completely mismatched. Unlit on a parade car, the mismatch could go undetected without close examination, but they definitely wouldn't be useful to try to drive behind them like that.

mkbug

Newly Enlightened
Well I guess now they will have to be for looks. This is one of the challenges buying from ebay. Saving grace they were only $100 for the pair.
Thanks for all the help and expertise.