Help choosing a rear fog light

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any available rear fog product that can be mounted to a metal surface rather than hung under the bumper?

I would like to add one to a Jeep Cherokee, and will be running an aftermarket off-road bumper. I wouldn't want to sling anything below the bumper as if I actually took it off road it'd get ripped right off. Would rather have something that I could install by taking a hole saw either to the face of the bumper or more preferably the rear hatch and installing it flush with the metal. Thinking something like a typical round semi truck taillight - is there a fog light in that format?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Rear fog lights.

Best to stick with reputable name-brand products to get your money's worth of safety performance and durability in the long run. Round rear fog for flush mounting? Yes, that's this one in your choice of flange-mount or grommet-mount.

Cool. That should work. $50 though... :/ I can get a similar brake light at any truck stop for a lot less, but Doing Things Right gets spendy. As I mentioned in the thread I started on headlights though, I actually have to find an appropriate vehicle before this is even relevant, as my '99 is apparently unregisterable. Then I have to swap over all the stuff I've already done to the '99... *then* I can think about going farther. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for a 4-switch panel, I see them every now and then but haven't ever managed to pick one up.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Re: Rear fog lights.

I can get a similar brake light at any truck stop for a lot less

Usually truck stops carry off-brand junk, not first-line quality lights. Here's the Peterson rear fog for about $40, anyways.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Best to stick with reputable name-brand products to get your money's worth of safety performance and durability in the long run. Round rear fog for flush mounting? Yes, that's this one in your choice of flange-mount or grommet-mount.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Also, the rectangular equivalent would probably look more "at home" on a Cherokee vs. a round one. Seems to me drilling for it shouldn't be all that much harder; drill the four corners first, then connect those four holes with a jigsaw or similar tool.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad idea. Wasn't really aware what all was available.

My first choice vehicle apparently sold today though, so I'm back to square one... going to look at one tomorrow but it looks like it may be rough underneath? We'll find out.

I'm just so invested in this platform that I don't see me switching; and Toyota FJs and Land Rovers are a significant step up in cost. Sadly nothing appealing on the new market.