Couple of questions about 6P and dropin

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
1. This gap between the head and body, wouldn't normally be there with the standard Surefure dropin, this is with a Malkoff dropin, is this ok to leave as it is? Do I need to do something to make sure it's weatherproof? Any advice, please?

2. The distance between the dropin head/bezel and the lens, is there any way to reduce this distance?

Last edited:

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
Thanks for your reply P.

Does this mean then that there is more maintenance required? Ie, remove the head and extra cleaning if say I i drop the flashlight into sand, and it's been raining?

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Weatherproofing is fine. That gap is only an aesthetic thing. Some members file their Malkoff drop-ins to reduce the gap. A complete bore through (no battery stop) is the only way to eliminate the gap completely. Of course you would have to wrap your drop-in w/ aluminum or copper tape for body contact.

ven

Flashaholic
Its normal Dr, depends on shape of base/body of the drop in to how snug/low down it seats. As P said, nothing is compromised(water resistance), just a gap!. Some fill the gap in with an O ring (red can look cool on a black 6p like vinh shows on his shop). IIRC vinh has changed the drop in shell so it now sets better over older copper shells.

Few of mine are like that, does not bother me at all, some it does:crazy:

The cryos fits past and covers any gap, here you can see a c2 with gap due to the copper shell shape

Here is a 6p with a p60vn quad mule in, no gap due to the later design tweak

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weatherproofing is fine. That gap is only an aesthetic thing. Some members file their Malkoff drop-ins to reduce the gap. A complete bore through (no battery stop) is the only way to eliminate the gap completely. Of course you would have to wrap your drop-in w/ aluminum or copper tape for body contact.

True. For submersion, the o-ring must be thick enough for a sufficiently tight fit. I have 2 6ps with stock o-rings that were just a tad too thin for some reason and that gap allowed water in. With no gap, they were fine, but I have changed the o-rings to be safe.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
True. For submersion, the o-ring must be thick enough for a sufficiently tight fit. I have 2 6ps with stock o-rings that were just a tad too thin for some reason and that gap allowed water in. With no gap, they were fine, but I have changed the o-rings to be safe.

When you changed the O-rings, did you get standard ones or uprated ones?

ven

Flashaholic
Look inside the body/neck and look at drop in shape, the widest part where it makes contact(engineers blue would help here). Gentle sand the catching section around till slips in. Will it fit fine without any extra spring at the base? so drop in alone without larger spring that can be fitted to base. Sometimes trimming this spring by a couple of rings helps out as well. Just to make sure before you sand it, it is actually the body of the drop in that is the issue.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
Ok, you're gonna have to explain that entirely again please, in a different way cos you lost me straight away... :thinking:

I don't have engineer's blue, what else can I use?

This is as far as the module goes down when I apply pressure, and that space seems to correlate with the gap between the head and body?

ven

Flashaholic
Right, sanding looks like the best option from that pic. The idea with engineers blue was to colour the body, fit and rotate, where it rubs off you know to sand down. Could use a marker maybe.............only a thought .

Dr Forinor

Enlightened

That battery stop seems to be the thing that is cause, thank you.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
Right, sanding looks like the best option from that pic. The idea with engineers blue was to colour the body, fit and rotate, where it rubs off you know to sand down. Could use a marker maybe.............only a thought .

It's either sand the battery stop out from the body of the 6P, or sand down the brass from the module at the spring side. If I sand down the module from the spring side, then it might not fit properly if I ever decide to use the module in a Malkoff again, with the retainer ring?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you modify this module to fit perfectly in this host, it's unlikely that another host will be exactly the same. For maximum compatibility, both the drop-in and host should be left as they are now

It's a tool, not a piece of art.

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you modify this module to fit perfectly in this host, it's unlikely that another host will be exactly the same. For maximum compatibility, both the drop-in and host should be left as they are now

It's a tool, not a piece of art.

Unless one is convinced that they will not ever be swapping / replacing these (modular) parts, I would tend to agree ....

I have a Leef host that a prior owner had unfortunately modified by sanding out the dropin area, and now often find to have contact problems :(