there is still the Chinese clone of Rayovac sportsman?

silviop

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for fully metallic steel 2D-3D flashlight, there are cheap cinese clone?

thank

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There haven't been fully metallic cheap chinese 2D flashlights in a while.
Probably need to find new old stock from eBay. Type in 'vintage Eveready' or Rayovac. There you'll find the real thing(s).

Tiger brand was the cheap Chinese clone.

Those 100 year Rayovacs are pretty much gone from WalMarts. Shame too, because they were pretty cool.

wjv

Enlightened
Those 100 year Rayovacs are pretty much gone from WalMarts. Shame too, because they were pretty cool.

I bought 5. Gave 3 away and kept 2.

They are decent "house" flashlight. Good balance of throw and flood for their output. And with 2 'D' cells they run for a long time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I studied old Rayovacs and that one was a combo of lights they made between 1914 and 1939. (Their first 25)

There's actually a thread about it around here somewhere.

silviop

Newly Enlightened
I bought a cinese clone of rayovac sportsman in '80s ,
it have only 555 simbol on it , and use screw lamp (2D).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
555 was a fund raising deal where some guys pooled resources to have some stuff made for funds to be used to pay for R&D into other electronic stuff they were developing.

I did a short write up about the 2D saying it was a pretty good light for the time.

It was a then and now story comparing Chinese made flashlights of the old days to the modern day (starting in the 1970's) way they do it.

If you liked that 555 they are at eBay from time to time, cheap.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
Currently two 555s on eBay.

$19.99 - in medium condition - scratched up
$25.00 - in excellent condition

gardel

Newly Enlightened
myflashlight1_zpswbh1jnuu.jpg

I just got this Tiger Head flashlight. It's new but was sold as "new old stock" so I don't know if this is actually old and if they still make these. I don't know if these are close to a sportsman or not.

Last edited: