Need help modifying Darkbuster3 HID dive light to LED

mjr350

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.
I have 2 Darkbuster3 HID divelights that are roughly 15 years old and both have only had around 4 hours use due to the hour or less of battery life.
They run off 6 x 18650 batteries with 3 in series and 3 in parallel if that makes sense to create 12v.
Now what im after is either a complete drop in module or an emitter and driver combo to suit either 4.2 volts (18650) with 6 batteries in parallel or a mixture of both parallel and series to get 12 volts depending if I want to put the batteries in parallel or series. I'm not too sure what's out there or how to go about it but some advice would be great. I've got all the gear to modify and build brackets etc to attach the module behind the origional reflector, it's just I'm not 100% sure on what components to buy.
I have already modified one of the torches by going down to a local electronics store and buying an LED torch, removing the drop in module and hooking up to 4 x 18650 batteries in parallel but it was a cheap torch and the brightness just doesn't cut it so I'm thinking custom aHi all.
I have 2 Darkbuster3 HID divelights that are roughly 15 years old and both have only had around 4 hours use due to the hour or less of battery life.
They run off 6 x 18650 batteries with 3 in series and 3 in parallel if that makes sense to create 12v.
Now what im after is either a complete drop in module or an emitter and driver combo to suit either 4.2 volts with 6 batteries in parallel or a mixture of both parallel and series to get 12 volts. I'm not too sure what's out there or how to go about it but some advice would be great. I've got all the gear to modify and build brackets etc to mount the emitter it's just I'm not 100% sure on what components to buy.
I have already modified one of the torches by going down to a local electronics store and buying an LED torch, removing the drop in module and hooking up to 4 x 18650 batteries in parallel butt it was a cheap torch and the brightness just doesn't cut it so I'm thinking custom emitter and driver would be the way to go but a good quality drop in would possibly be easier for my needs. Any advice on where to go and what to buy would be appreciated considering I'm in Australia.

Chris_R

Newly Enlightened
6 x 18650 batteries with 3 in series and 3 in parallel if that makes sense to create 12v.

No :)

Sounds like 9 batteries..

Anyway if it's 6, with each one about 3WHr, so 18 Watts for an Hour.

Are you using decent 18650's?

What LED(s) did you have in mind?
Do you need it to focus?

mjr350

Newly Enlightened
Yea i realized what I said after I said it. There are two rows of three in series which I think makes 12 volts. It doesn't have to focus as I need quite a large spread underwater but I'm after preferably just a good quality drop in unit that way I don't have to stuff around with soldering etc. As for brands that's why I'm here as I really have no idea where to start.
I'll post a picture of the previous one that I modified so you get the idea of what I've got to attach to.

mjr350

Newly Enlightened
Here are a few pics of the proof of concept that I made last week but its not bright enough. I'll attach the proper one better next time but this gives you an idea what i have to work with.

20170217_153926.jpg
20170217_153919.jpg