• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Alumina Oxide powder

trailhead

Newly Enlightened
I read about the thermal adhesive comparison test a while back and one of the contestants was the epoxy/alumina oxide slurry. It was mentioned that the powder was available at the Shoppe. I can't find it now.

Is it out of stock or was it decided that it wasn't worth the effort?

Cheers
Duane

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Yes it's been out of stock for a while now. Or it just might be what you suspected, "not worth the effort".

Anyhow, I would like for this item to be back in stock again too. Just yesturday I was thinking on posting here the same question but forgot. So I am doing so now. Thanks for reminding me!

trailhead

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a pound of nice, fine, .3 micron AO powder. It's likely way more than I need so I'll be parting it out if anyone's interested.

Cheers
Duane

trailhead

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wasabe64 said:
How much do you want per gramme?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being a drug dealer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not equipped to measure it like that. I was thinking of using a more convenient volume measurement like a tablespoon or something. I guess in smaller quantities I would want, say, $.50 CDN per gram plus shipping.

It was shipped today, so depending on the risks of sending a white powder through the mail these days I should have it in a week or two. I'll post on BS&T when I'm ready to go.

Cheers
Duane

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
trailhead said:
[ QUOTE ]
wasabe64 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being a drug dealer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif......

It was shipped today, so depending on the risks of sending a white powder through the mail these days I should have it in a week or two. I'll post on BS&T when I'm ready to go.

Cheers
Duane

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I'll be waiting for some......the AO white powder though.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Jarhead

Banned
Alumina oxide:
Thermal Conductivity W/m•°K 18

Boron nitride powder works sweet too. (about 3x lower thermal resistance (or 3X higher thermal conductivity)), more spendy)

Thermal Conductivity, W/m•°K 60

Solid Copper

Thermal Conductivity, W/m•°K 400

Typical Solid Aluminum alloys
Thermal Conductivity, W/m•°K 150-235

trailhead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info wrt thermal conductivity. Boron nitride powder is definitely pricey, cheaper grade goes for about $240./kg.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it is hard to get thin layers of the al-ox in epoxy. better to use AA epoxy imo. probably fine for potting though.

turbodog

Flashaholic
just use pure silver for the whole thing:
light case/heatsink/wires/switch/etc

highest thermal conductivity and lowest electrical resistance available, period.

I know someone's gonna say gold is better, but look it up, it is not.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It must of went offline. I still have more and will be putting more online shortly.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
trailhead said:
[ QUOTE ]
wasabe64 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being a drug dealer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not equipped to measure it like that. I was thinking of using a more convenient volume measurement like a tablespoon or something. I guess in smaller quantities I would want, say, $.50 CDN per gram plus shipping.

Cheers
Duane

Gram scales are very useful for postal measurement and a bunch of other things besides dealing drugs (gun powder, jewelry, batteries and they are very cheap). I have a scale that will measure in grams but am not a drug dealer but perhaps possessing this scale means probable cause because of the attitude above and should mean that police can search my person and property at will?

IIRC, alumina oxide is useful for manufacture of incendiery/explosives. Are you a terrorist? Should having alumina oxide be enough to search your property ?

Last edited:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi said:
Gram scales are very useful for postal measurement and a bunch of other things besides dealing drugs (gun powder, jewelry, batteries and they are very cheap). I have a scale that will measure in grams but am not a drug dealer but perhaps possessing this scale means probable cause because of the attitude above and should mean that police can search my person and property at will?

IIRC, alumina oxide is useful for manufacture of incendiery/explosives. Are you a terrorist? Should having alumina oxide be enough to search your property ?

I think the guy was making a little joke. And alumina isn't a good incendiary, its already oxidized (aluminum oxide). In fact it has use as a fire retardant. Powdered aluminum is a different story:poof:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
turbodog said:
just use pure silver for the whole thing:
light case/heatsink/wires/switch/etc

highest thermal conductivity and lowest electrical resistance available, period.

I know someone's gonna say gold is better, but look it up, it is not.

The reason some people say gold is better is not because of it's bulk properties that you refer to, but because gold does not develop surface oxides like silver. Silver is prone to tarnishing, and this oxide layer increases contact resistance. I agree that silver is the best choice provided that you control the oxidation process by using deoxit products.