Next light.

skimmer

Newly Enlightened
Hello
Very new to lights/torches scene but have been reading, watching and learning a lot. I'm thinking Already own a Olight R40 Seeker and over the w/e purchased an Olight SR52vn on ebay. I love the light and its throw although the tint may take a little getting use to. Thinking about getting a larger more powerful light soonish. Been looking at the Thrunite TN40/42 etc on skylumen and Youtube. A power thrower rather than a dedicated thrower seems to appeal but with a throw above 1000m. It's all very addictive isn't it!
What do you think?

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Aha. Here it is!
Welcome to the forum, i hope you're not been too put off so far.
You know my thoughts on this, so ill wait for other to weigh in.
Ven wont be far away when talking Vinh lights.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I have a Tn42vn on the way. Ill be posting a video on my you tube channel so keep an eye out over the next few weeks.
Id reckon the t40vn is more what you're after to compliment the sr52vn

Last edited:

skimmer

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all your warm replies, it's appreciated.
Everybody seems extremely positive about Vinh's (skylumen) work on lights. Are there people in the Uk doing the same things?

torchsarecool a" TN42vn on its way" sounds exciting. They sound superb!

ven

Flashaholic
Vinh is great to deal with and does excellent innovative work on more branded type lights(fenix/thrunite/acebeam etc etc). There is james3 in the UK who also does mods, like convoys and .............well quite a few options if you send him your light and what you want.

There are a few modders about, for the latest releases and monster lights vinh at skylumen would be the choice. For p60 triples you again have vinh and tana along with adventuresport to name just 3 .

So depending on what you want, will depend on recommendations.............and budgets

If you are getting started, dedicated thrower, dedicated flooder, maybe a do it all type of light. Pop can light along with other compact lights like the m43. Then different single 18650 lights, 26650 lights, dual cell(2x18650) and 4x 18650 types(back to bigger lights, dedicated/flood etc). Then back to the p60's, single,triple,quads all in your choice of LED . colour temp(4000k,5000k,6000k etc etc) and drivers. Then host options(empty flashlight) from custom, to surefire to cheaper solarforce options................almost endless!!!

Right now the tn42vn would be my choice of dedicated thrower.
For a flood light, the tk75vnQ70 is still hard to beat for output/heat dissipation and flexibility (run time kits).
You have then the xhp 35 HI choices, tn40vn which is 500kcd and 9000lm, bigger brother x65vn at 10,500lm and 620kcd.
Still the rc40vn and x65vn have some great options now and coming, crazy ones with xhp70's and maybe other options down the line. These are limited and not cheap with 2months + build time(bit each day, here and there type as demanding). But expect $1500+ and a wait, in return you will get one of a handful of custom made , highest LED output lights available.

My choice right now would probably start with what i would get most use out of, then go from there. Try not to buy too many cool whites and experiment a little with colour temps. 5000k is a safe bet, still cool side of neutral yet benefits of good colour representation without any noticeable lumen loss to the eye(5-10% generally).

Hang out in the lounge for general chat and questions:)

EDC( so every day carry) tend to be the most used day to day, of course check v54 options. Custom or semi custom there are many options for that extra special light. Not always the highest output, check HDS rotary/clicky out. Check McCigzmo's out,tain and other options including sinner................etc etc etc.

Thats just scratching the surface and quick off the top of my head, could go on and on and............
Enough waffle from me:)

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Yea i cant wait.
There are people in the UK which do mods, one chap does professionally, unfortunately i cant just recall the website.
However, from my experience, Vinhs mods are flawless, and worthwhile the shipping etc
V54 lights turn up on ebay more often then youd think. He has a very strong following in the UK. And as collections evolve some decent lights Come on the market

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Vinh is great to deal with and does excellent innovative work on more branded type lights(fenix/thrunite/acebeam etc etc). There is james3 in the UK who also does mods, like convoys and .............well quite a few options if you send him your light and what you want.

There are a few modders about, for the latest releases and monster lights vinh at skylumen would be the choice. For p60 triples you again have vinh and tana along with adventuresport to name just 3 .

So depending on what you want, will depend on recommendations.............and budgets

If you are getting started, dedicated thrower, dedicated flooder, maybe a do it all type of light. Pop can light along with other compact lights like the m43. Then different single 18650 lights, 26650 lights, dual cell(2x18650) and 4x 18650 types(back to bigger lights, dedicated/flood etc). Then back to the p60's, single,triple,quads all in your choice of LED . colour temp(4000k,5000k,6000k etc etc) and drivers. Then host options(empty flashlight) from custom, to surefire to cheaper solarforce options................almost endless!!!

Right now the tn42vn would be my choice of dedicated thrower.
For a flood light, the tk75vnQ70 is still hard to beat for output/heat dissipation and flexibility (run time kits).
You have then the xhp 35 HI choices, tn40vn which is 500kcd and 9000lm, bigger brother x65vn at 10,500lm and 620kcd.
Still the rc40vn and x65vn have some great options now and coming, crazy ones with xhp70's and maybe other options down the line. These are limited and not cheap with 2months + build time(bit each day, here and there type as demanding). But expect $1500+ and a wait, in return you will get one of a handful of custom made , highest LED output lights available.

My choice right now would probably start with what i would get most use out of, then go from there. Try not to buy too many cool whites and experiment a little with colour temps. 5000k is a safe bet, still cool side of neutral yet benefits of good colour representation without any noticeable lumen loss to the eye(5-10% generally).

Hang out in the lounge for general chat and questions:)

EDC( so every day carry) tend to be the most used day to day, of course check v54 options. Custom or semi custom there are many options for that extra special light. Not always the highest output, check HDS rotary/clicky out. Check McCigzmo's out,tain and other options including sinner................etc etc etc.

Thats just scratching the surface and quick off the top of my head, could go on and on and............
Enough waffle from me:)

Wow! I cant be that eliquant

ven

Flashaholic
Dont know about that :laughing: , hot off the brain and type as i think:crazy: cheers anyway, just a rough n ready waffle.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Skimmer, what aspect of the tint don't you like on the sr52vn?

Just to elaborate. I assume you like the tint on your r40 which will be a cool white. And although the sr52vn is a pdtc (cool white) the dedome shifts the tint slightly warmer. So i'm guessing neutral white isnt your thing

Last edited:

skimmer

Newly Enlightened
Ven,WOW!!!
Now some of what you said I understand but some I haven't a clue. I will read again several times etc. Thank you.
At the moment I'm not looking for a large collection of all aspects of lights (could end up that way though) more having some lights that are practical and dedicated to my needs which is more security, close range and distance.
My next step will be a power thrower, not a dedicated thrower but one with really good throw. Something like the TN40.
torchsarecool; I must admit I'm liking the tint of the SR52 a little more now. At first it appeared more green/yellow than my Olight R40 Seeker and it is but I'm simply getting use to it. Also, I have a few problems with green and reds (slightly partially colour blind)!

ven

Flashaholic
The older vinh lights seemed to have a hint of green(common with de-domed xml2 and xpl iirc). Todays picks seem to be more fine tuned(PDT-Premium Dome Tint) which from the later ones i have dont have any green. They although cool white PDTc, are more towards a neutral in CT(colour temp). Lets pick the m43vn which is xpl PDT, this to my eyes looks a creamy cool white..............its nice!!! There are many wasted LED's, its not a case of just de-doming an LED in a light. These LED's are bought in bulk and gone through one by one............lets just say hand picked for ease!.

The ones with the best "tint" go in the PDT options. Basically what ever the LED and be it de-domed or shaved dome...............you get a tint shift. Some more significant than others. This all adds in the cost................not only time but cost in waste too. Because there maybe be 10 xpl LED's, 3 of them might be good enough for PDT(just a plucked out of thin air example).

The HI's that is in the xpl HI and xhp 35 HI already have something similar to a de-dome, its a flat dome or just say a flat coating instead of nothing(bare LED). This keeps the colour temp/tint consistent, so you go for an xpl HI 5000k or xhp35 HI 5000k and chances are you will be happy and no greens(example).

To slightly complicate it (keeping it simple as possible like me!), vinh can push an xpl de-dome harder and with higher kcd than an xpl HI. So more lumen and more kcd, catch is you may not get the consistent CT as you would with the xpl HI.............give n take.

Just a rough idea:)

ven

Flashaholic
When/if you get bored, you can always go to the knife forums and watch forums.............your wallet will be gone forever:D

My apologies and P has reminded me, an other obvious brand/make is malkoff........................These are solid(built like a brick..........) tanks of lights. Life time guaranteed, good few options from lights/drop ins and flavours/sizes of. Its a well respected brand(like HDS in ways) with a solid rep built over many years of customer service and dependability. In short, worth a look to add to your starting collection..........

skimmer

Newly Enlightened
No thanks to the knives, they don't do anything for me except butter bread! I use to sell watches on my own web site and on ebay but the competition from companies like Argos and Beaverbrooks "kicked S..t" out of me. So apart from a few nice Seiko watches still left unsold that's it on the watches front.
My wallet is pretty slim at the moment after buying a nice Olight SR 52vn from a bloke on fleabay!!!
Cool white seems the way forward but I'm not 100%
Will have a look at Malkoff and 3Tronics.