Headlamp for running and general use

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi all,

I am looking for neutral white headlamp with wide-ish beam. I am not a fan of top headstraps, so bigger weight might be an issue. I really like the looks and specs of new Minimus, but it's literally unavaliable for non-US customers. Currently I look towards Armytek Tiara C1. It is a bit smaller and lighter than the PRO version. Olight H1 Nova might be an option, but reading a few reviews i noticed, it's neutral white version is almost 5200K. Are there any 18650 options with wide, warm beam? Could additional weight be a problem, since would like to avoid using top strap if possible? Currently i use Minimus Vision and find no issues even trail running with it. I only wish i wouldn't have to crank it almost all the way to max every time the trail gets more technical...

Any suggestions are highly welcome

Thanks, B

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the preference for tint and no top strap. You'll be running and a heavy light will be bouncing up and down with each pounding/punishing foot fall.

Inertia: how does it work?

I don't need a HL to run at night, but if I was doing dark trails at night, I'd want a little less flood and more throw depending on the terrain. If you're running on well lit city streets, or in suburban neighborhoods , then maybe you can get by with something else like my Fenix 2xAA HL30, which is fairly light in weight, has some flood and has decent throw (for seeing ahead while running.)

Zebralights, especially the 18650 6xx series, might just be a bit too heavy for running, but I don't have one of those. I would think that my NiteCore HC50, even with top strap, might bounce around to the point it would bug me and become askewed.

Chris

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
I've been shopping for headlamps too. It seems like the Nitecore NU10 might be interesting to you because it is so small and light. It's a flood -- not sure if that's what you need or not. I don't run in the day, let alone at night ;-)

pulstar

Enlightened
Thanks Chris, bounciness was an issue with my former Zebralight H51. That's why i am looking for a flooder. CR123A format is lighter and smaller, but on the other hand, you can get sooo much more runtime with 18650... Damn, in the old days you could just buy a Maglite and you've been sure you got the best:)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bouncing is most likely caused by the stretchy, flexible headband. Use Velcro instead. It doesn't stretch and flex.

Use DC-fix or similar materials to make your light floodier.

A regular flashlight is more stable than a single-strapped headlamp for running, thanks to gravity assist.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chris, bounciness was an issue with my former Zebralight H51. That's why i am looking for a flooder. CR123A format is lighter and smaller, but on the other hand, you can get sooo much more runtime with 18650... Damn, in the old days you could just buy a Maglite and you've been sure you got the best:)

I don't know how far you run, but my workout years back was 10k, so 40 minutes, which is within the realm of 2xAA in series, on high, not turbo, maybe 100-200LM?

My little Fenix HL30 has an aluminum face, but plastic rear, so it's lighter, with less mass/inertia when moving up and down.

I could see your H51, (H52/502) still being heavy and perhaps bouncing around. This is why maybe a top strap is a better idea? It's just one more harness point to help keep the light in place?

Anyhow...good luck and keep us posted on what you eventually go with!

By the way, I have a Kuzma Stabi turntable and Kuzma Stogi Reference tonearm designed/made by Franc Kuzma in Slovenia!

Chris

pulstar

Enlightened
I don't know how far you run, but my workout years back was 10k, so 40 minutes, which is within the realm of 2xAA in series, on high, not turbo, maybe 100-200LM?

My little Fenix HL30 has an aluminum face, but plastic rear, so it's lighter, with less mass/inertia when moving up and down.

I could see your H51, (H52/502) still being heavy and perhaps bouncing around. This is why maybe a top strap is a better idea? It's just one more harness point to help keep the light in place?

Anyhow...good luck and keep us posted on what you eventually go with!

By the way, I have a Kuzma Stabi turntable and Kuzma Stogi Reference tonearm designed/made by Franc Kuzma in Slovenia!

Chris

I didn't know that anyone from United States have ever heard of Slovenia before:) I've heard about Kuzma and his work is really well known in Audiophillic world. But since his products are way over my price range, i think i'll stick with my 100$ flashlights:)

My runs are usually around 1-1,5 hour, so nothing soecial there... Strangely though, my minimus (130g with batteries) sits really firm on my forehead. It probably has something to do with the plastic holder and padding. It's great in every whay, other than pretty low runtime on highest setting (1,5h). Even it's only 75 lumens, its optic-shaped beam reaches suprisingly far and it seems that no lumens are wasted. The beam fills only your field of vision, nothing more.
That's why i am thinking about Armytek and similar headlamps with optics and no reflectors...

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to think that an H model, 18650 powered Zebralight is the all around perfect compromise, but if someone were brave, or a flashlight manufacturer, and chopped the reflector/switch/light engine off of an H600 and moved the battery to the back of a topstrapless headband, they'd have exactly what is being asked for here.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Armytek Tiara A1, which has a relatively flood beam, but I don't think I'd want to run with it. It's relatively heavy and I think would bounce too much as a result. The C1 version is just a tiny bit lighter. Then again, the Surefire's aren't low weight headlamps either, so if you're ok with that, maybe you wouldn't find the Armytek's too bad. The Zebralights are lower weight if you want a standard battery size. The H32Fw and H52Fw are their neutral white, floody beam models in CR123A and AA power source respectively.

I know some people do jog with 18650 lights, because the top strap helps stabilize the extra weight.

If a non-replaceable lithium-ion battery is not a problem, the Nitecore Nu20 or Nu30 and the Fenix HL26R are all very lightweight for their performance. The Fenix HL15 is in a similar performance range, but uses AAA. However, all of these would likely need DCFix diffuser film on the lens if you want a floody beam.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check out the Fenix HL15 - they designed it particularly for runners.
*uses x2 AAA primaries
*neutral tint
*good balance of throw and spill
*reflective elements on headband
*doesn't use a strap over the head; just the one headband
*blinking red LEDs on side of headlamp for visibility

Doesn't have the 18650 or CR123 options, but with a pack of rechargeables, it should get the job done.

pulstar

Enlightened
Well, i got a chance and ordered new Minimus 300. Old version works just fine for me, so i think that new one shouldn't be worse:) Thank you all for suggestions!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i got a chance and ordered new Minimus 300. Old version works just fine for me, so i think that new one shouldn't be worse:) Thank you all for suggestions!

Good for you. You seem to like your older one, so go with what you know and feel confident using.

Chris