Thrunite TN4A HI review

GarnerArms

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, made a second video review on the Thrunite TN4A HI in neutral white. If your looking for a AA light that has got some throw, this might be the light for you. I was unable to get night time beam shots, started snowing real good when I was ready to start the video but I will upload some as soon as possible. Thanks everyone and please let me know if you have questions or suggestions on how do better videos in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN5op4VM_PI

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Nice video. I enjoyed it. One recommendation...As a viewer what I am to see when I click on a TN4A HI review is a direct comparison between the regular TN4A and the TN4A HI to help me decide which Is like better. At the time I was shopping for the TN4A no video comparing the two was available. I ended up buying both. I'm happy with both but I think that a direct comparison video would be helpful to many perspective buyers. Same for neutral white versus cool white versions.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own all the TN4A variants. Watched the video OP you are using the wrong batteries. According to TN you need to use cells that are no less than 2500mah to attain the advertised output and run times. All my TN4A's run off 2550mah Eneloop Pros. One can also use L91's(Energizer ultimate lithium which are an amazing 3000mah). Between the CW HI and the NW HI I greatly prefer the NW HI as it is not very often at all that you see NW throwers.

GarnerArms

Newly Enlightened
I own all the TN4A variants. Watched the video OP you are using the wrong batteries. According to TN you need to use cells that are no less than 2500mah to attain the advertised output and run times. All my TN4A's run off 2550mah Eneloop Pros. One can also use L91's(Energizer ultimate lithium which are an amazing 3000mah). Between the CW HI and the NW HI I greatly prefer the NW HI as it is not very often at all that you see NW throwers.
Thanks for pointing that out and for watching. Next time I will be sure to include the batteries that the manufacturer recommends for their advertised output and run times. This particular light belongs to my father and I got him eneloop pros and a charger. So he should definitely see those sort of run times. I agree with you, this is a really neat light being that you can get it in neutral white and get some really good distance.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TN4A is addictive man. I didnt think I would end up with six of them but I did. Best 50 bucks you can spend on a EDCable light. These lights are tough to. I am totally convinced I could turn one on and throw it into a creek and it would just keep on cranking.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I'm not too far behind you, CelticCross74.. being the happy owner of #5 TN4A myself :)

Capolini

Banned
I do not get it!! What do you do w/ 5 or 6 of the same light?? Do they ALL have different tints?;)

Modded lights are addictive to me! :D More output, more output!

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Capolini, yes...Two different tints, in both the regular and HI versions. I didn't set out to buy five. It goes back to my original comment in this thread to the OP suggesting that direct comparisons of throw, tints, etc., Would be most beneficial to potential buyers. As it was, I had to answer my own questions by trying them out. Fortunately I like them all and now my wife has one, another in the main entry, another in the bedroom, vehicle lights. They've all been put to use.

Capolini

Banned
^^^

Cool! You use them ALL. I like to hear that! I have ~ 30 lights and use ALL of them. About a dozen or so of my modded lights are rotated for my nightly hikes w/ CAPO!

Numerous one spread through the house and about a half Dozen EDC lights and several Key chain lights!

I designated my BST to the kitchen[I do not use my regular lights that much!] I have the S20 as a night light[on ML] stuck to the bathroom light fixture,and a nice Solar force lights w/ a warm tint[P60] that I bought of of JMP320 that I use under a living room lamp set on low,another night light type!:D

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Agreed...It's nice to have a light when and where you need one without having to go looking for one after the fact.

GarnerArms

Newly Enlightened
Nice video. I enjoyed it. One recommendation...As a viewer what I am to see when I click on a TN4A HI review is a direct comparison between the regular TN4A and the TN4A HI to help me decide which Is like better. At the time I was shopping for the TN4A no video comparing the two was available. I ended up buying both. I'm happy with both but I think that a direct comparison video would be helpful to many perspective buyers. Same for neutral white versus cool white versions.
Good suggestion. If I can make it happen in future videos I will certainly do a comparison. For the TN4A, I only had access to the neutral tint HI version but I do agree, it would be really helpful for those who are looking to make a purchase to be able to see the differences. Thanks for the suggestion

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can this light be powered by 14500 rechargeable cells? I'm thinking not, but for some reason I can't remember what or if there is a lithium equivalent to the AA sized cells.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! I love Survival Lilly! No 14500's cannot be used in the TN4A you will fry the light. The hottest cells you can use are Energizer Ultimate Lithium L91's. Score a pack from a recently manufactured batch and they come out of the pack at up to 1.8v per cell and are an amazing 3000mah. They get expensive though as they are non rechargeable.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are welcome! I have tried higher mah NiMH cells like Powerex 2700mah. Problem with those is that none of mine actually charged to that capacity and they are high drain cells not low drain like Eneloop Pros. I have Pro's that have charged to 2620 mah. They hold their charge extremely well. I have noticed that none of my 6 TN4A's ever step down from turbo despite being thermally regulated. Turbo in all 6 of my TN4A's will last until the cells run dry. TN4A is the king of the 4xAA platform and at a paltry $50 each I dont see it being unseated anytime soon.

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed that none of my 6 TN4A's ever step down from turbo despite being thermally regulated. Turbo in all 6 of my TN4A's will last until the cells run dry.

Just curious, how long can you stand to hold it while running at turbo? I imagine it would get pretty hot.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwalker none of my 6 TN4A's even get hot let alone to hot to hold. They get warm that is it. The TN4A has amazing heat sinking. How that heat sinking is done I do not know but none of them get hot....

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
bwalker none of my 6 TN4A's even get hot let alone to hot to hold. They get warm that is it. The TN4A has amazing heat sinking. How that heat sinking is done I do not know but none of them get hot....

Wow, that's good to hear. I thought it might get hot because I briefly tried out a Thorfire TK4A (similar looking 4 x AA) and it got pretty hot on its turbo setting.

I've been wanting a TN4A for a while but can't decide whether I should get the "HI" version or not. I don't really have a need for a lot of throw from it so I'm leaning towards the non-HI version. I also like the large flood it seems to have. Decisions, decisions...