Three Essential Torches/Flashlights

Barrington

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I've just joined this forum today although I've been reading it for a while. I live in the UK so I generally refer to torches rather than flashlights!

By local standards I have a small collection of around 16 torches - but even this is considered dangerously eccentric by most of my friends. I'd be very interested to know what you guys with large collections would choose if you had to restrict yourselves to just three torches. (Scary huh?!) To start the ball rolling here are my choices and my reasons for them: -

1) Thrunite Ti3. This would be (is) my edc torch attached to my keyring. Anything larger is not (in my opinion) an edc light. Even a AA torch is too large for me to carry around with me all the time. I almost went for the Olight i3S CU EOS Brass which I really like except for the strange decision to make it always switch on at its highest setting then step down. I much prefer a torch to switch on at its lowest setting then step up if required. Or at least have a memory and switch on at its previous setting. (Like the Thrunite.) There may well be better torches of a similar size such as the Surefire but this just seems too expensive for what it does.

2) Thrunite TC10 V2. This seems to be a great general purpose torch. It is powerful enough for the vast majority of uses and seems to me to have a perfectly judged balance between flood and throw. The clincher is that it can be charged by usb using a cable into my laptop, a car charger or a phone charger. There may be torches with a better balance of features but I'm not (yet?) aware of one.

3) Petzl Zipka. I find a headtorch extremely useful for so many activities. I have a more powerful headtorch but if I had to pick just one then this would be it. I particularly like the way the cord disappears to nothing when not in use. It can be popped in a pocket or a bag and takes up very little space. I also find the cord just as comfortable as a strap on such a light item.

So these are my three picks along with my reasons for choosing them. I would love to hear what other people would go for if they had to restrict themselves in this way.

Barrington

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site.

My choices would be small, medium and large for the circumstances my current assortment accels at. Don't want to commit to brand or model since it will likely change before the year closes.
One for the pants pocket, one that is say 6 volt (2x123 type) and one with a D sized tube with a large reflector to be used to search with.
Note the pocket sized would have a clip that allows it to become a headlamp.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Hi barrington
Im sorry, but three torches just isnt enough. It doesnt even cover my need of throwers. That being EDC, compact, no spill aspheric, mega thrower.
Then flooders require similar sub categories.
Then there are lights which just look great rather then being practical.
Its just impossible to reduce to 3
Anyway, welcome to cpf

ven

Flashaholic
:welcome: I like variety in lights, all flavours, all sizes ...............I have a TiS on my work keys, but on car keys i prefer even smaller like 10180 fuel(4.2v around 1/2 the size of an AAA cell).

little lights

Car keys

Some other little lights

Some small

small to medium

A medium ish(pop can)

Larger side of medium

Large lights

Thats roughly what i class in sizes, but for EDC(not on car key EDC's) so in coat pocket, i like 16340 sizes or 18350. Find it a good happy medium for me, output/run time/size. Sometimes i will stretch to the odd 18650 if compact enough(not a large head).

I EDC 16650 or 18650 in work(pocket) sometimes, not an issue for me there as it will come out of my pocket regular for use.

:)

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
One of them would definitely be this:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/nebo6327

It's a 3xAAA stick with a side mounted flood. I have an earlier version with discrete LEDs. I find it really useful for things like working under the kitchen sink, or working on an engine. The magnetic clip comes in handy. Oh, and you can use a beer can to hold it upright ;-)

One would be a headlamp, but I don't have one yet that I'm happy with.

The third would be hard to pick. Maybe the Maglight Solitaire that I've been carrying recently, though I find it a bit too bright. I also have a bright 2x18650 zoom light by UltraFire that could be a contender. Hard to pick, but the first two are for sure.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get rid of the keychain format category because its not needed in my opinion. I'd also try to get a big light that's a decent compromise of throw and flood, so Thrunite TN35 is my pick for that class

For pocket EDC you'd want something that's small, but can be counted on, HDS High CRI Rotary will fit almost all of your day to day needs.

For the third category I'd want an angle floody light that handles all of your up close work, can be used as a headlamp or even a work light with the magnet tail. Armytek Wizard Pro takes the cake here.

Bonus round is a pocket thrower, Zebralight SC600w mkIII Hi is the obvious winner

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 3 would be:

Keychain - 1AA Solitaire LED.

After dark EDC - Streamlight 1L-1AA.

Large thrower/general purpose/things go bump in the night light - 3D Mag ML300.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
If I had to pick just 3;

- Lumintop Tool AAA for when I don't have much space and need a small light

- Malkoff MD2 with the M361N-LMH for most of my standard outdoor tasks

- Fenix RC40 for that wow factor

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
TiCN Draco on neck lanyard, permanent carry

170N Rotary, main light

140 Clicky, spare battery holder

--------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted nothing but AAA lights when I started here, but eventually found carry positions that have made me happy with the extra output options, UI features and controlability of the Rotary in particular.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite Ti3, good enough, cheap, nice levels and warm tint, AAA battery size, compact and light enough to hang on a necklace and always have on hand.

Zebralight H600w Mk II or MK III, great light, great value for its cost, 18650 battery, makes a fine edc with an H style pocket clip locked on permanently with heat shrink tubing. The light slips just fine into the head band with picket clip in place.

Armytek Predator or similarly throwing light, powered by one or two 18650 batteries.

These aren't necessarily The Best, but for a couple hundred dollars they cover a lot of different uses while being light, durable, and a good value for their cost, imo.

... EXCEPT

-with Armytek you really need to wring the light out when you first get it to make sure you didn't get a lemon (bad solder joint? bad component?)... run max and strobe, get it hot and run down some batteries.

-ZL H600w really might be the best all around, if I could have only two lights I'd have two of them.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Three essential torches - keyring, midsize programmable EDC, and heavy duty backup ...

● Peak Eiger
● HDS Clicky
● SureFire C3 with Malkoff dropin(s)

or, Cadillac / Corvette version ...

● JiL J2
● Oveready BOSS
● Lupine Betty

or, Rolls-Royce / Ferrari version ...

● Ku Ti LF2XT
● Cool Fall Tri-V
● McGizmo TerraRam

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can cover most of my bases with three:
Nitecore NU30 headlight- from 1 lumen to over 400 lumens, 3 oz., usb rechargeable, has high C.R.I. and red l.e.d.s.
Goal Zero Micro Flash lantern- flashlight, lantern, and area light all with a dimmer and USB rechargeable
Klarus ST15- 10-1100 lumens, USB rechargeable when used with special Fenix batteries, great thrower, replaceable batteries

This is just for everyday carry. For work, I'm not giving up my Milwaukee 3000 lumen Trueview Floodlight or my Ridgid 2500 lumen Light Cannon. For fun, I like having around my 4000 lumen Nitecore Tiny Monster, a 1300 lumen Bushnell Cree MK-R rechargeable light, and several other lights that may be too bright for practical use.

Last edited:

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Ummm, let me think...Malkoff, Malkoff, Malkoff.

One of those would be a M31 with two AAs, then probably a MDC 16340, and either a 18650 Hound Dog or V5 Wildcat.

Boko

Newly Enlightened
Hello Barrington, what a great idea for a thread!
My three choices would be:
1: Maglite Solitaire incandescent with an Eneloop in it. Can't be beaten for the nocturnal call of nature. It's dim, silent and you can't accidentally turn it on high.
2: Zebralight H 31w, which is great for most other things- night hiking and running, backpacking, going to the pub and so on.
3: I like your Thrunite Ti3 choice but I think I'll stick with my 4sevens Preon P1 in toxic green just because it's such a delightful object.
And, yes they're all torches to me.

Barrington

Newly Enlightened
Well this has turned out very well already! Thanks for your input everyone.

One of the reasons I started this thread was to see what people with far more knowledge than me considered their favourite or most useful torches. I guess I'm using you guys as a way of learning more about what is out there myself - and you've already given me lots of interesting stuff to check up on. Many of the makes and models you've mentioned I've never even heard of so I'm looking forward to a bit of enjoyable research. I have a feeling there are going to be a few more items added to my wish list!

I do have one question for UK based contributors. Several people have already talked in glowing terms :)laughing:) of Zebralight torches. This is a brand I've already had my eye on. Does anyone know of a good UK stockist ie. with a reasonable range and prices?

Thank you all once again. This is good fun.

Barry

cp2315

Enlightened
I will only list stock lights

1. Surefire G2x, great all around, indoor, outdoor, camping, hiking, reliable and light weight
2. Eagletac D25C, great EDC, small and versatile
3. Nitecore MH20GT, small but powerful, little thrower too.

Well three lights is impossible. 30 might work for me.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
I do have one question for UK based contributors. Several people have already talked in glowing terms :)laughing:) of Zebralight torches. This is a brand I've already had my eye on. Does anyone know of a good UK stockist ie. with a reasonable range and prices?

https://www.flashaholics.co.uk/

That site is very good, great customer service and quick delivery. Enter site at own risk, don't say I didn't warn you ;)

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Hard to pick just 3 flashlights... er, torches ;) ... the list would have been different 6 months ago, and will almost certainly change in the future...

1) Zebralight H52w -- a headlamp is indispensable for working around the house, camping, repairing cars, etc. and I use this one pretty much every day. It's got a great tint, great beam profile (I've put some diffuser film on the lens for close-up work), great build quality, and excellent driver efficiency. The high mode (280) is bright enough for my purposes, the fuel source (AA) is readily available, and the UI allows instant access to three (programmable/adjustable) brightness levels from off. It's light enough to be comfortable but sturdy enough to survive a drop onto concrete. The only thing I'd do differently if I had to replace it would be to buy the floody model with the etched lens, H52Fw.
-- Some folks complain that the UI is too complicated; I personally don't believe that's the case.

2) Foursevens Quark Pro/Tactical -- These are technically discontinued, but still available on eBay for a very reasonable price. I really like the old-school UI (two mode groups controlled by tightening/loosening the head), the fact that they're current-controlled (no PWM), and the fact that they can be used with a variety of battery types by simply swapping battery tubes. The low-voltage models will run on 1 or 2 NiMH cells, 1 or 2 alkaline primary cells, 1 or 2 L91 primary cells, 1 x CR123 primary cell, or 1 x 16340, 14500, 16650, etc. li-ion cell. These are not small lights per se, but I find the 1xAA setup fits my hand perfectly for day-to-day use, and the 1xCR123 setup is ideally compact for hiking, etc. while still being big enough to hold onto. Quarks also have really sturdy pocket clips that can be removed or installed without needing tools.
-- Besides being discontinued, the biggest drawback is that they are available in any tint you like ... so long as you like cool white. ;)

3) Eagletac D25A Clicky -- I have a number of 1xAA lights similar to the D25A, but if I had to pick one of them, I'd have the Eagletac. For day-to-day pocket carry, it's just about perfect. It is very small and lightweight for its format, with a decent bolt-on clip, usable clicky switch, and an old-school, intuitive UI similar to what I described above in #2. Eagletac has made it available with multiple emitters, (including my favorite, Nichia 219, and other neutral white options), and they seem to be continuing to develop the product by releasing incremental updates each year. The Titanium models are especially nice.
-- Biggest drawbacks? A) The mode spacing, and the way the modes are toggled off and on with a "moonlight on" setting is less-than-perfect design. B) Some folks complain about PWM on the low and medium modes, but I never notice any flickering in actual use. C) There's a blue corona around the very outside of the beam when white-wall-hunting at very close range, due to (I believe) some AR coating on the lens. Again, not an issue for actual use.

Only thing I'd add as a runner-up is the Nitecore TIP. It's a great keychain light, available with high-cri N219 emitter, moonlight mode, and excellent mode spacing. Very bright for it's size/weight. It's with me every day, and I'd be sorry if I had to give it up. It had a bit of a rocky initial release, but if you get a recent one without the battery lockout issue, you're likely going to be happy with it. If for some reason one of the above choices was unavailable, I'd substitute this one.

Last edited: