RMSK, Inc.        
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Opus BT-C3100 2.2-Comparison-New and Exchanged.

Default Re: OPUS BT-C3100 2.2 CAPACITY/TEST RESULTS

Quote Originally Posted by tatasal View Post
    Try lowering the discharge rates to 200ma and you will get higher mahs.
    ok,but why would I want to do that?!

I am using modded lights and it would NOT be realistic in terms of my run times.
    Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. Capolini-11.27.2017
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017

Default Re: BACK TO BASICS-SIMPLE,EFFICIENT AND DURABLE!

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    Thanks Capolini for posting real user tests

Notice everything posted from Gauss163 is not from personal experience but a Cut and Paste.

This says it all! Does he even OWN any Torches/batteries or flashlights?

Sorry,,,,,,,,I had a relapse.
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    ok,but why would I want to do that?!

I am using modded lights and it would NOT be realistic in terms of my run times.
    Haha, just in case you want more experiment I guess...anyway,

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    Notice everything posted from Gauss163 is not from personal experience but a Cut and Paste.
    Best of luck to you if you think that you can rediscover the entire field of battery electrochemistry from "personal experience".

Meanwhile, the rest of us will leverage the cited scientific studies to optimize our Li-ion experience when so desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss163 View Post
    Best of luck to you if you think that you can rediscover the entire field of battery electrochemistry from "personal experience".

Meanwhile, the rest of us will leverage the cited scientific studies to optimize our Li-ion experience when so desired.
    I love experiments makes for great you tube videos. Lol

The simple things in life that can make a simple man[w/ a complicated brain!] like me happy!

I went to LiIonwholesale to do some testing with some Opus 2.2 chargers. Used Two different voltage meters, mine and Dominic's.They were 0.01v difference in testing 10 different batteries. Consistent results across the board

Long story short. The First one I tested gave ALL my batteries 0.03v more charge than my original one!!! Instead of being 4.15v off the charger and tested w/ DMM. Mine were ALL 4.18v and Dom's were all 4.19v! I exchanged the chargers with gratitude from both sides!

I know, I know,0.03v will make very, very little difference in run time. That is not my motive for maintaining my serenity! It is psychological knowing that even after resting, they will not go below 4.15v,unless they are very old batteries!

Thanks Jon[Owner LiIonwholsale] for giving your #1 local customer some simple and meaningful satisfaction!!

Now I have to compare discharge/capacity tests results from both chargers on ~ 25 batteries that I tested!! NOT!

Only a few,,,a few VTC series and my 30Q'S.

Good to hear about the swap! Mine ends around 4.16v. I pulled 4 cells off the charger last night BEFORE they were done, but at 4.18 (displayed on the Opus). Of course that's higher when charging, so they were 4.14 on the DMM. I could have gotten them to 4.16 on the DMM but wasn't patient enough.
    GOOD TINT!

A few capacity tests were done. ALL done @1 amp like HKJ and my original tests w/ original charger.

VTC5-HKJ-2531mAh, Original Opus-2598mAh,New Opus-2470mAh. The battery was purchased 6.17.2015

Difference:New Opus is 5% lower than Origianl. Diff. b/w HKJ and New Opus is 2.5% lower.

VTC6-HKJ-2976mAh, OLD OPUS-3047,NEW Opus-2786mAh.NEW Opus is 8.6% Lower than Old Opus and 6.4% lower than HKJ! Purchased 8.22.2016

This all tells me that a sample of Two Opus shows a pretty big difference. The old was consistently HIGHER than HKJ. This NEW one is showing lower numbers than both!

Conclusion: I am NOT going to get caught up in these numbers because of the inaccuracy and inconsistencies that are shown! I will say that the Newer One "appears" to have more realistic numbers and of course it gives me 0.03v additional charge!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Good to hear about the swap! Mine ends around 4.16v. I pulled 4 cells off the charger last night BEFORE they were done, but at 4.18 (displayed on the Opus). Of course that's higher when charging, so they were 4.14 on the DMM. I could have gotten them to 4.16 on the DMM but wasn't patient enough.

Thanks!

I am satisfied w/ the new one so far. An additional 0.03V w/ DMM! Also,,,,,,,,,,,

In analyzing the Discharge/Capacity numbers, I would rather have them a little low.

In actuality[just 2 tests] they should be lower than HKJ because the VTC5 is ~ 2 years old and the VTC6 is ~ 7 months old!

My 30Q's which are discharging now ONLY have 5 cycles and were purchased on 10.17.2016. They have been stored @ 3.60v before these test!

HKJ GOT 2884mAh. If I get ~2800mAh I will be happy[hey,,didn't I just say a few minutes ago to forget about the numbers!!! ]

The original One got a median score of 3091mah.Which is 6.7% higher than HKJ!

I have finally been able to charge my Panasonic Infinitum NIMh 2100mAh on the MC3000, and now I have the results:
    First Battery:
    Opus gives to me => 1780
    MC3000 gives to me => 1879 (yes, more on the MC3000)

The second Battery:
    Opus gives to me => 1930
    MC3000 gives to me => 1915

Regards!
    Last edited by cpa; 03-20-2017 at 03:38 PM.

^^^

Very nice,,,,,,,,,second battery almost exact!

It almost seems like first battery should have been 1779 for MC3000! That would have been consistent w/ second battery!

SLOT COMPARISON ANALYSIS-DISCHARGE/CAPACITY RESULTS

Device: "ORIGINAL/EXCHANGED" Opus BT-C3100 2.2

Battery:Samsung INR18650 30Q-3000mAh

Purchased:November 27th,2016

Discharged @ 1amp

Cycles:5

Four slot median: 3091mAh

HKJ Tested:2884Mah

Original/Exchanged Opus "Median: is 6.7% higher than HKJ.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

Device: NEW Opus BT-C3100 2.2

Discharged @ 1amp

New Opus is 1.5% Higher than HKJ'S TEST.

Along with a charge increase of 0.03v for ALL the batteries I charged so far. They ALL tested at 4.18v w/ DMM instead of 4.15v from original/exchanged Opus!

These 30Q's are basically brand new and are very close to HKJ'S results. The VTC6/5 results are 2.5% and 6.4% lower than HKJ'S as you would expect because they are 7 months old and 21 months old respectively!

I am very happy w/ my exchange! This one gives a more accurate capacity reading and of course that extra charge of 0.03v
    Last edited by Capolini; 03-20-2017 at 08:04 PM.

I'm charging 4 brand new ncr18650b 3400mah . Started at 3.53. Will check when done.

Flashaholic*

So the old Opus charged 0.03V lower yet reported 4-10% higher capacity. That was quite an optimistic Opus specimen.

Looks like the new one may have better slot consistency (if the cells are really that close).

So the old Opus charged 0.03V lower yet reported 4-10% higher capacity. That was quite an optimistic Opus specimen.

Looks like the new one may have better slot consistency (if the cells are really that close).
    This is what I'm trying to find out.

Yes Dr. Gauss,,,,this is a much better specimen,so far so good.

I have no idea why it charges slighter higher and rates the capacity lower? I Gauss they are separate electrical components?

I am not mechanically inclined,,I am just happy that It is more accurate and gives the slightly better charge,,,double Capolini bonus!

Default Re: Opus BT-C3100 2.2-Comparison-New and Exchanged.

ok,,og,,,,,,,,,,it is time for me to hit the hay,,,b/4 I do, you need to supply the essential inf. that Capolini does!

When did you purchase the batteries? How many charge cycle?

When the final capacity comes up you can compare to HKJ. The Protected and unprotected versions are not much difference. He got 3197mAh for Unprotected and 3162mAh For protected.Of course his were brand new,that has to be taken into consideration,,Dr. Capolini could figure that out! So if your cells come in at a slot median of 3004mAh and they were 1/1.5 years old w/ 100 to 161 cycles that would compute!!!

Batteries arrived today brand new . First charge cycle.. when you awake and I haven't gone to sleep I'll post more info.

Flashaholic*

Popcorn Re: BACK TO BASICS-SIMPLE,EFFICIENT AND DURABLE!

Device: "ORIGINAL/EXCHANGED" Opus BT-C3100 2.2

Discharged @ 1amp

Four slot median: 3091mAh

HKJ Tested:2884Mah

Original/Exchanged Opus "Median: is 6.7% higher than HKJ.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

Device: NEW Opus BT-C3100 2.2

Discharged @ 1amp

New Opus is 1.5% Higher than HKJ'S TEST.

Along with a charge increase of 0.03v for ALL the batteries I charged so far. They ALL tested at 4.18v w/ DMM instead of 4.15v from original/exchanged Opus!

These 30Q's are basically brand new and are very close to HKJ'S results. The VTC6/5 results are 2.5% and 6.4% lower than HKJ'S as you would expect because they are 7 months old and 21 months old respectively!

I am very happy w/ my exchange! This one gives a more accurate capacity reading and of course that extra charge of 0.03v
    I am reading this thread with great interest. When I have read about the Opus in the past I was discouraged by the inconsistency that seemed to be present by the many users of this charger. I thought at the time that it would be interesting to have three or four of them to do comparisons. It's great to see that you actually did it. I finally ordered one last week so I can get in on the fun.

I have been trying to choose between the Opus and the MC3000 for about a year now. The seeming complexity of the MC3000 kept me from going that direction and the relative "cheapness" of the Opus discouraged me from that charger. My dream charger might just be if Opus would put $10-$20 into beefing up the fan, slides and any other things that can be improved. The Opus always seemed too inexpensive for all of the function it has. Even my modest accumulation of lights warrants the best charger I can find to fuel my flashlight fetish.

Keep up the good work.
    SD26vn, T6vn, U21vn#2, TN30vn35#2, K40Lvn, K40Mvn, U21vn#1, MK35vn, TN30vn50, X7vn, X45vn, EC50vn, EC60vn, D25Cvn, ToolvnCu, EC60vn, SC63w, T21vn, U11vn, TX25Cvn, S200C2vn & C22Cvn. Charger: SkyRC, MiBoxer C2-3000

^^^^^

Cool! I look forward to your results. Please post them and give basic info like Capolini!! Purchase date/cycles/HKJ number @ 1amp ect!

Quote Originally Posted by Offgridled View Post
    Batteries arrived today brand new . First charge cycle.. when you awake and I haven't gone to sleep I'll post more info.
    ok,,Husky buddy,,,I have been awake for 5 hours!! I will be interested in what you get compared to HKJ and me. Are yours protected?

That is right you are just charging them. Let us know what the charger displays compared to your DMM?!

Your next assignment is a Discharge/capacity test! To save time I charge them on My Fenix and they are ready for discharge only. Otherwise the charge test will charge/discharge/ charge again to give capacity results. That can take 9 hours!

Flashaholic*

[...\ To save time I charge them on My Fenix and they are ready for discharge only [...]
    Did you charge on the Fenix for all of your tests? If not, then this could be the source of some variation, because different chargers will charge to slightly different capacities, depending on their termination voltage/current, voltage calibration, charge algorithm etc.

To make meaningful discharge comparisons requires that all discharges start at the same SOC. If you charge on the fenix and someone else charges on the Opus, then comparing discharge results is comparing apples vs. oranges since the fenix might charge to 102% but the Opus might charge to 98% SOC, and this charge difference will cause a discharge difference - which will obscure the real discharge accuracy. To help workaround this you could record the cells voltage before you start the discharge (make sure it is stable, i.e. the cell has rested long enough after charge).
    Last edited by Gauss163; 03-21-2017 at 09:11 AM.

^^^^^

I did not charge ALL my batteries on my Fenix. ALL batteries went in w/ the same voltages[4.18/4.20v] for ALL my tests w/ a few exceptions for the older batteries.

Not everyones DMM is the same either

My tests are relative to my tests. In other words, I expect the trend w/ my new Opus to continue as being more accurate than the old one.

Only a few more comparison tests. My Vappower are next and they were charged exactly the same for the First test as for this one.

My method is close enough for me and fun,,,,,,,,,,,I do not need to turn it into rocket science!

I will not debate this!! No matter[HKJ included] who is testing something your going to find something that is not right or better in your mind. Even it it is,,I do not need to be that technical.

Flashaholic*

[...] My method is close enough for me and fun,,,,,,,,,,,I do not need to turn it into rocket science!

I will not debate this!! No matter[HKJ included] who is testing something your going to find something that is not right or better in your mind. Even it it is,,I do not need to be that technical.
    It's very far from rocket science. But if you (and others) are going to invest so much time into such tests, don't be surprised if others lend their expertise in order to help you achieve more meaningful results. Without such guidance, all that effort could be wasted due to apples vs. oranges comparisons. But with such guidance, we might obtain some accurate, meaningful tests that may help users better make informed buying decisions when considering various chargers.

Vappower IMR 26650 4200mAh-Purchased 9.24.2016 -50 Cycles Each-

1A DISCHARGE RATE.

Old/Exchanged Opus Test below

NEW OPUS-Slot #4 became "Null" near the end of the test.

EDIT: I Found out why and with certainty why slot #4 failed [nuLL]. The negative tab was NOT getting contact correctly.Any slight movement[to align label] would terminate the test. I simply bent the tab forward slightly and it works fine now. Before fixing it I just put the re-test back in slot One.

Old/Exchanged Opus median=4587mAh.
    New Opus=4299mAh.
    HKJ=4336mAh

New Opus is 0.009% lower than HKJ! Not even 1%. lol!

Old Opus is 5.5% higher than HKJ.

Last edited by Capolini; 03-21-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

It's very far from rocket science. But if you (and others) are going to invest so much time into such tests, don't be surprised if others lend their expertise in order to help you achieve more meaningful results. Without such guidance, all that effort could be wasted due to apples vs. oranges comparisons. But with such guidance, we might obtain some accurate, meaningful tests that may help users better make informed buying decisions when considering various chargers.

I guess I lied,,,,,,,I had one more comment!

You can go around in circles with this stuff and debate it forever!

It is NOT just this time and with me. It happens over and over with everyone you encounter. But your in denial and just keep trying to prove your right and know everything.Even if you are right, why can't you just let things be instead of turning this into a research paper like most of your posts[graphs/ charts ect] are? To me it is suppose to be FUN. You like to take the Fun out of it.

He has a different voltage meter. His batteries were only charged to 4.15v w/ a different charger. His batteries are not brand new. His has 120 cycles and yours only 15.His Opus terminates @ 4.19, mine terminates @ 4.21v. His DMM Measures his @ 4.15. mine measures @ 4.16! Ad infinitum!

I REST ALL my batteries,ok! Regardless of charger, if they are ALL going in at the same voltage[slot comparison ect.], that is CLOSE enough for me.

Most of my batteries are NOT new. So these tests are to give an idea of capacity of MY batteries. The new[ish] ones I can cpompare to HKJ's numbers. So far, this NEW Opus is very, very close to his numbers!

Flashaholic*

@Capo This is a forum for batteries etc, not misguided armchair psychology. Again, if you are not interested in technical matters then you can simply ignore them.

And you are not comparing the Opus to HKJ. Rather, since you are charging on the Fenix and discharging on the Opus, you're comparing a hybrid Fenix+Opus, which will not generally correspond to results obtaining by using only the Opus. It might even be the case that your first Opus was more accurate if your Fenix is off. Without any standard reference and proper controls it is impossible to say.

Probably the only sure thing we can conclude from the above is that the Opus capacity results can vary by as much as 10% between units. But anyone who has been paying close attention to prior Opus threads was probably well aware of that.
    Last edited by Gauss163; 03-21-2017 at 12:21 PM.

^^^^

No,,I have to simply IGNORE you as I have done in the past and as others have done!

Back on the list!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast