Gearbest        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astrolux S41S help

Default Astrolux S41S help

Got an S41 for my birthday, and it seems to be stuck in demo mode or something? I'm new to lights so forgive me if this is a dumb problem... but if I turn it on say to turbo mode, it will run for a few then go down to the next lowest mode and continue to do so until it's not emitting any light at all (switch still "on" as in I have to press twice to get the light back on) I don't really understand the diagram it came with but it doesn't say anything about a demo mode or anything anyway...
    how do I get it to run normally?
    Thanks for your advice in advance...
    Poly

Default Re: Astrolux S41S help

What type of battery are you using? Is it a quality name brand IMR cell? I could maybe see a ****fire 16340 maybe acting like this, if it's dying fast? Congrats on the light btw, just got mine in 219b flavor and quite like it!

I plan to run my 18650s when I get the other tube in so I just went to radio shack and snagged these for the time being...
    mines 219b also lol

Flashaholic*

sounds like a dead battery issue. Mine act like that when barreries are emty Recharge, if it continue to act up like this, get a new battery.

Quote Originally Posted by jorn View Post
    sounds like a dead battery issue. Mine act like that when barreries are emty Recharge, if it continue to act up like this, get a new battery.
    Kind of what I was thinking, like maybe I got a bad battery or something. I forgot my charger at work though > so it's gonna have to wait until tomorrow.

I had the same issue with mine. It's the battery. I was using a Efest IMR and when the issue started I put the battery on a DMM it rad 2.8v. These lights drain 18350s extremely quickly.
    WANTED: Your old beaten Malkoff Lights. Your oddball Malkoff Lights. Your HDS Rotary.

So, I guess the next logical question is can a 18650 tube be purchased for the S41 to make its runtime a bit more useful?
    WANTED: Your old beaten Malkoff Lights. Your oddball Malkoff Lights. Your HDS Rotary.

Flashaholic

The s41 uses the same driver as the BLF A6 and begins stepping down output at 2.8 volts. If the battery drops below 2.8 volt under load the driver turns the light off preventing damage to the battery(over discharge)

Quote Originally Posted by redvalkyrie View Post
    So, I guess the next logical question is can a 18650 tube be purchased for the S41 to make its runtime a bit more useful?
    Yes, it can - and they're not expensive either. They're on Banggood

I had the same issue with mine. It's the battery. I was using a Efest IMR and when the issue started I put the battery on a DMM it rad 2.8v. These lights drain 18350s extremely quickly.
    I have the S2 which is the same driver with a XP-L emitter instead. in Turbo it pulls just over 5A from my IMR18350. This equates to a runtime of ~8 mins. It's a beast, but if you want runtime you need a 18650

Thanks for the info guys, I already have an 18650 tube on the way... guess I'll just have to be patient. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, I already have an 18650 tube on the way... guess I'll just have to be patient. Lol
    Ven gave me a light with the LD-2 driver board that direct drives on high at about 6A. It's a Convoy S2+ Triple XP-L HI and I got the 18350 body for it, as it comes set up for 18650s.

I found two AWT IMR 18350s that are good up to about 7A realistically, but I get about 8+ minutes on high, so don't expect much. After about 2-3 minutes, the light shuts down thermally, so those 8 minutes are going to take about 30 minutes to blow through.

Look for something like the AWT, if you want to run it in '18350' configuration.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

I found Astrolux S41 18650 bodies on Amazon Prime. $14.00 which is about $10 more than Banggood but you'll get the part in two days and no waiting for customs or China mail.

Flashaholic*

I almost never use the 18650 tube. Love the smallish 18350 size. Runtime? Not that bad for a edc as long as you dont always use the turbo mode

See, that's my problem. I'm blind as a bat and need that turbo mode. I actually used it to paint some automotive parts black last night and the Nichia emitters really made it easy to make sure I was getting an even coat across the part.

As said the 18350 can not take the demand(looks wrong chemistry to). IMR18350 will see you right, keeppower/AWT have been fine for me over time.

18650, look at samsung 30Q or sony vtc6................or ideally 10a+ ................15a+ better.

I like the 18650 body as (obviously gives far better run times) but also helps balance out a top heavy light. Still pretty compact as well, short body when you need a more compact carry.

I received my 18650 body and am running a Sony VTC6. So much better! I actually have decent runtime on turbo now whereas with the 18350 it seemed like I'd get five minutes before the light began stepping down into its lowest mode. Plus the rainbow colored body looks great with the stainless head and tailcap. This sucker does get hot though.

I received my 18650 body and am running a Sony VTC6. So much better! I actually have decent runtime on turbo now whereas with the 18350 it seemed like I'd get five minutes before the light began stepping down into its lowest mode. Plus the rainbow colored body looks great with the stainless head and tailcap. This sucker does get hot though.
    Just got my 18650 tube, but my VTC6s aren't here yet.
    Waiting impatiently.

I put an 18650 tube on, got the Sony VTC6s charged them up, and my light is still stepping down exactly the same as it was before... any thoughts? I've had this thing for 2 weeks and haven't been able to use it.

I put an 18650 tube on, got the Sony VTC6s charged them up, and my light is still stepping down exactly the same as it was before... any thoughts? I've had this thing for 2 weeks and haven't been able to use it.
    It's timer based, so it will always be 40 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by RollerBoySE View Post
    It's timer based, so it will always be 40 seconds.
    It's supposed to step down all the way until it's turned off? I'm not going to be home so I can't check but it doesn't seem like 40 seconds...

It's supposed to step down all the way until it's turned off? I'm not going to be home so I can't check but it doesn't seem like 40 seconds...
    No, only stepdown from turbo to high after 40 seconds.

No, only stepdown from turbo to high after 40 seconds.
    It shuts all the way off, even if I only turn it on the lowest setting it still steps down until it's off...

It shuts all the way off, even if I only turn it on the lowest setting it still steps down until it's off...
    That sounds like the over discharge protection triggers for some reason. Are you sure that the cell is charged and OK?

That sounds like the over discharge protection triggers for some reason. Are you sure that the cell is charged and OK?
    Pretty sure... it's definitely charged, and the battery is brand new I'll have another one to try in it when I get home in a few days... but I'd wager my problem will persist.

Since it seems unlikely that multiple batteries even after charging act this way, could it be your charger? What kind is it, and if it has multiple settings, is it on the correct one? (Don't mean to ask the obvious, but hey sometimes it's overlooked?)

If you're sure the battery and the charger are OK, you might want to exchange the light. That's not normal behaviour. That said, I'm not too happy with this light, even though mine is functioning as it should. In a default configuration (with no 18650 extension) it heats up way too much on high mode, and drains pretty quickly. Turbo mode I don't even bother with anymore for more than a second or two, as the battery drain is incredible, and the heat it generates is legitimately skin damaging level. On top of that, mine at least has a slightly greenish tinge with Nichias compared to my Eagtac D25AAA, which has perfect neutral tint. I should really just accept that this is a 18650 light, and not exactly a small light I was hoping it would be.

Flashaholic*

Hehe, dont complain about heat and runtimes. Its small, it's extremely hard driven for it's size. And the copper heatsinking is exellent. So ofcourse the heat will reach your fingers in seconds. And it will have runtimes messured in minutes with a 18350 on the higest modes. Complaining over heat and runtimes, will be like complaining over a ferrari on full throttle. "I dont like it. My toyota prius uses less fuel" I agree on the tint, not as good as other nichia lights i own. Slight hint of green in the low-med modes... I kind of want the new version with 219c leds. It's warmer in tint, so hopefully no green.

Kind of what I was thinking, like maybe I got a bad battery or something. I forgot my charger at work though > so it's gonna have to wait until tomorrow.
    it-might-do-that-if-the-switch-was-stuck(sorry-about-weird-formatting)

Quote Originally Posted by wle View Post
    it-might-do-that-if-the-switch-was-stuck(sorry-about-weird-formatting)
    Oh, yeah. This forum driver does have quirks: copy-paste a space character into your answer and a space key regains its function

Back on topic: my S41s (self assembled from parts) is nearly OK except this:

The battery is Sanyo NCR18650GA. When voltage drops (3.414V in the video) this driver ML mode PWM degrades to some nasty vibrating crap. All other modes are OK.

Victory! Lol
    Now I have a working S41 and a project S41 I can use to learn more about flashlights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast