Flashlight #2 off my mini-lathe

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This piece of steel already had a hole through the middle as I think it was meant for rings/jewelry.
I ended up having to use one of my boot retaining rings to create the switch shelf, but it worked out okay...

bg-dam-1-stick-1.jpg

I worked on the body first, and this was the initial look. wasn't sure if I wanted any design so as to not clutter up the grain.

bg-dam-body-start.jpg

all the parts made. ready for etching.

bg-dam-pre-etch-2.jpg

This is the second try at the etch. the first did not take too well due to not leaving the surface rough enough. went back and re-sanded with 150 grit, and it took much better.

bg-dam-etch-try2.jpg

Oiled up with mineral oil, and awaiting parts for the engine.

bg-dam-final-800.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Simple yet classy, excellent work! What light engine is going in? Does it take a 16340?

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
18350. It's a mac style pill with tweaked threads to fit the light. I still need more threading practice. :)

It will have a 3A qlite driver and nichia 219b triple in it.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Sounds great; for a second attempt I would say your skills are coming along very well! The etching is nice too; I'm sure there's a learning curve with that and some nerves given the cost of materials.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a harbor freight one that I bought used. I've done the following upgrades to it:
Tail stock cam lock
4" chuck
Quick change tool post
Brass gibs
Brass carriage slide plates
Top adjust carriage
Banjo bracket fix
And just replaced the speed control pot/switch after it died.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light is fully built now. put in a Triple Nichia 219b with Qlite 3A driver. Green glow pad and green trits in optic.
and a BratGuy stainless steel boot ring

bg-dam-complete-1.jpg

bg-dam-complete-2.jpg

bg-dam-complete-3.jpg

bg-dam-complete-4.jpg

bg-dam-complete-5.jpg

bg-dam-complete-6.jpg

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raw material/parts for all was probably around 300 and this was a "cheap" piece of damascus. The stainless damascus I've been looking at is $400 or higher just for a 6" piece of the bar stock. There was a lot of tooling wear/breakage and a lot of hours spent with getting the sizes correct, and putting the finish on. I now see why they are $1500 and up for customs in exotics.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not soon. It's finally starting to warm up here so my attention will be to my woodworking tools and work on the house...